Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
If we trade guys with actual value (Linus, Debrusk), I'm not even opposed to retaining to juice the return, and not replacing them for this year. Take all the prospect and draft asset. Do our damage in free agency, and then ice a killer squad next year.

Honestly in a 7 game series right now if you told me we'd score 30 goals and let in 25 with Linus/Debrusk on the team (so a +5 dif), and 28/26 without them (+2 dif), I'd say I can live with that.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

They need to replace both, quickly. I give Forbort a bit of a break as I think he is still hurt
True. A person can be cleared to play and their body still not be physically where it was before an injury. Strength, agility, endurance can all take quite a while to recover, if ever.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The good news, of which there is little these days for the slumping Bruins, is that the real season still doesn’t start for a couple of months.

Despite losing their fourth straight game on home ice Saturday — something they hadn’t done during a homestand in 14 years — the Bruins will not miss the playoffs. They’re indeed an ugly bunch right now (1-4-1 since the All Star break) but not so bad that they can fritter away the equity banked in the standings across the first 40-plus games of the season.

However, just as the postseason is the real season, the reality of today is that the February 2024 iteration of the Black and Gold resembles the frayed, almost disoriented bunch that blew a tire in last year’s first round and careened into the ditch of playoff wreckage.

Coaches are paid primarily to teach and sort out personnel, to put players on hand in the best position to thrive. Of equal importance, they must provide solutions when problems arise. As he spoke following Saturday’s 5-4 overtime loss to the Kings at TD Garden, bench boss Jim Montgomery sounded both frustrated and at a loss for solving what ails his personnel on hand.

“Our desperation has not, since the break,” mused Montgomery, “matched our opponents’ [desperation] consistently.”

“It’s not good enough right now,” added Montgomery, who stressed he is disappointed rather than frustrated. “Tonight, that’s a game we should win, in my opinion. The execution isn’t where it should be — I give the [Kings] credit, they never stopped competing. That’s what desperate teams do.”

Montgomery was especially tight under the collar regarding Pavel Zacha’s holding penalty with 3:35 to go in regulation. The veteran pivot, though not directly named by the coach, hauled down Mikey Anderson in the Bruins’ offensive zone.

“To me,” said Montgomery, “you can’t take an offensive-zone penalty . . . can’t do it . . . you’re protecting the lead. Now they score, right? And you [have to] be able to overcome. You’ve got to get a penalty kill there. That’s the way you come out [of a funk]. You come out of it together.”

Now with 11 overtime losses (second only to the Islanders’ 13), the Bruins frittered Game No. 55 away after moving to a 3-1 lead midway through the second period. Beyond Zacha’s big boo-boo, some very sloppy D-zone work allowed the Kings to chip back and eventually win when Brandt Clarke raced out of the penalty box and potted the winner with 26.9 seconds to go in overtime.

Upstairs, in the corner office, the 1-4-1 homestand has to have team president Cam Neely and general manager Don Sweeney further scrutinizing their roster depth. They should be making their list, checking it twice, and worrying aplenty.

They would be extremely challenged to make it out of Round 1 this spring. They look like they’d be the hammer to everyone else’s nail.

Jake DeBrusk has been a painful absentee on the scoresheet. He has posted 0-0–0 in his eight games since Jan. 22 while as a constant member of the top six.

Over at Fenway Park, DeBrusk’s kind of performance would have a 2-3 hitter shifted down to the 8-9 hole. He provided some consistent pop out of the Christmas break, but right now looks like the most obvious trade candidate as the league’s March 8 swap deadline approaches. His July 1 unrestricted free agent status adds to the chance he could be moved.

The better days, which are inevitable when these funks hit, can’t come soon enough for the Bruins, who’ll have another tough challenge Monday with the Stars in for a matinee. Montgomery’s charges had a dramatic turnaround after the 0-2-2 skid that led to the Christmas break. Some hope there.

“I know we can do it in this group — it’s the same guys,” said Trent Frederic, thinking back to the kick start that came at the end of December. “I think it’s one of those, we [have to] snap out of it . . . hopefully we’re doing it now and not later.”

It appears only part of the answer will come from within the room. The rest of it will have to come from the corner office, the addition of a roster piece or two to right a slumping team and avoid an ugly repeat of last April.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Stretches like this is why it’s hard to justify giving him $6m+.

That’s top 3 winger on the team type of money. You need consistency from that type of player. Can’t be going 8 games without a point while playing top 6 minutes and PP time.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

The good news, of which there is little these days for the slumping Bruins, is that the real season still doesn’t start for a couple of months.

Despite losing their fourth straight game on home ice Saturday — something they hadn’t done during a homestand in 14 years — the Bruins will not miss the playoffs. They’re indeed an ugly bunch right now (1-4-1 since the All Star break) but not so bad that they can fritter away the equity banked in the standings across the first 40-plus games of the season.

However, just as the postseason is the real season, the reality of today is that the February 2024 iteration of the Black and Gold resembles the frayed, almost disoriented bunch that blew a tire in last year’s first round and careened into the ditch of playoff wreckage.

Coaches are paid primarily to teach and sort out personnel, to put players on hand in the best position to thrive. Of equal importance, they must provide solutions when problems arise. As he spoke following Saturday’s 5-4 overtime loss to the Kings at TD Garden, bench boss Jim Montgomery sounded both frustrated and at a loss for solving what ails his personnel on hand.

“Our desperation has not, since the break,” mused Montgomery, “matched our opponents’ [desperation] consistently.”

“It’s not good enough right now,” added Montgomery, who stressed he is disappointed rather than frustrated. “Tonight, that’s a game we should win, in my opinion. The execution isn’t where it should be — I give the [Kings] credit, they never stopped competing. That’s what desperate teams do.”

Montgomery was especially tight under the collar regarding Pavel Zacha’s holding penalty with 3:35 to go in regulation. The veteran pivot, though not directly named by the coach, hauled down Mikey Anderson in the Bruins’ offensive zone.

“To me,” said Montgomery, “you can’t take an offensive-zone penalty . . . can’t do it . . . you’re protecting the lead. Now they score, right? And you [have to] be able to overcome. You’ve got to get a penalty kill there. That’s the way you come out [of a funk]. You come out of it together.”

Now with 11 overtime losses (second only to the Islanders’ 13), the Bruins frittered Game No. 55 away after moving to a 3-1 lead midway through the second period. Beyond Zacha’s big boo-boo, some very sloppy D-zone work allowed the Kings to chip back and eventually win when Brandt Clarke raced out of the penalty box and potted the winner with 26.9 seconds to go in overtime.

Upstairs, in the corner office, the 1-4-1 homestand has to have team president Cam Neely and general manager Don Sweeney further scrutinizing their roster depth. They should be making their list, checking it twice, and worrying aplenty.

They would be extremely challenged to make it out of Round 1 this spring. They look like they’d be the hammer to everyone else’s nail.

Jake DeBrusk has been a painful absentee on the scoresheet. He has posted 0-0–0 in his eight games since Jan. 22 while as a constant member of the top six.

Over at Fenway Park, DeBrusk’s kind of performance would have a 2-3 hitter shifted down to the 8-9 hole. He provided some consistent pop out of the Christmas break, but right now looks like the most obvious trade candidate as the league’s March 8 swap deadline approaches. His July 1 unrestricted free agent status adds to the chance he could be moved.

The better days, which are inevitable when these funks hit, can’t come soon enough for the Bruins, who’ll have another tough challenge Monday with the Stars in for a matinee. Montgomery’s charges had a dramatic turnaround after the 0-2-2 skid that led to the Christmas break. Some hope there.

“I know we can do it in this group — it’s the same guys,” said Trent Frederic, thinking back to the kick start that came at the end of December. “I think it’s one of those, we [have to] snap out of it . . . hopefully we’re doing it now and not later.”

It appears only part of the answer will come from within the room. The rest of it will have to come from the corner office, the addition of a roster piece or two to right a slumping team and avoid an ugly repeat of last April.

I‘d use lack of intensity, instead of lack of desperation and attribute it to about 70% of the roster, probably 70% of the time instead of just tonight.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
So Friedman just said live that Hanifin going to market with US teams a clear favorite.Flames best be trading him.

Friedman:

"The [Flames aren't] commenting, the agent isn't commenting, but it's pretty clear from just everything we've learned today that Noah Hanifin is going to the market. I think there are Canadian teams interested in him, but I think 'long term' the U.S. teams are more confident that they're going to be the ones who are able to sign him. It's very clear to me, without any confirmation from team or agent, that Noah Hanifin is going to market and the action has picked up around him."

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Friedman:

"The [Flames aren't] commenting, the agent isn't commenting, but it's pretty clear from just everything we've learned today that Noah Hanifin is going to the market. I think there are Canadian teams interested in him, but I think 'long term' the U.S. teams are more confident that they're going to be the ones who are able to sign him. It's very clear to me, without any confirmation from team or agent, that Noah Hanifin is going to market and the action has picked up around him."

Modified NTC as well.

Maybe he can pull a Taylor Hall and get himself sent here?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The Bruins need to upgrade the D , get rid of Forbort and Grizz, Shattenkirk is a 7th D at best, they also need an upgrade over Steen, Lauko, Bogvist types, they could go out and get Carrick, Duhaime and Middleton sure and that would help, but they need upgrades at the top as well. Ullmark, DeBusk and Zacha can be traded and I would be fine with it, but has to make sense for the Bruins not just trade to make a trade. Can we get players the likes of Kempe, Batherson, and a swing for the fences trade for a legit top Center? I know Poitras is hurt, but if a team really wanted him, I would include him if part of a deal for a top young center. If we can't make these things happen, then maybe trade Ullmark and the UFA's and get picks.prospects and reset next year with free agency and trades.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Friedman:

Yea, I only caught a bit of it but thanks.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The Bruins need to upgrade the D , get rid of Forbort and Grizz, Shattenkirk is a 7th D at best, they also need an upgrade over Steen, Lauko, Bogvist types, they could go out and get Carrick, Duhaime and Middleton sure and that would help, but they need upgrades at the top as well. Ullmark, DeBusk and Zacha can be traded and I would be fine with it, but has to make sense for the Bruins not just trade to make a trade. Can we get players the likes of Kempe, Batherson, and a swing for the fences trade for a legit top Center? I know Poitras is hurt, but if a team really wanted him, I would include him if part of a deal for a top young center. If we can't make these things happen, then maybe trade Ullmark and the UFA's and get picks.prospects and reset next year with free agency and trades.
73A0D9BB-0E6A-4E65-BEF2-773C8F050F99.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I‘d use lack of intensity, instead of lack of desperation and attribute it to about 70% of the roster, probably 70% of the time instead of just tonight.
It's an awful cliche but you can't expect kittens to play like tigers, and the biggest p***y cat around in Donnie Sweeney built a team of mostly kittens.

Do not wait until the summer, move Donnie out now and Montgomery, Sacco and Kelly, if he is running the power play, can all go. Move some of the kittens for less talented tigers who show up every night and play hard. Really should not be that hard to find. Move Grizz, Forbort and Shattenkirk for anything, if the deal is right move Carlo and Lindholm. Goalie hugs are great, wins are better, use Ullmark as part of a package to get a number one center.

Call up Lohrei, Lysell, Beecher. Give Kuntar and Regula looks. Add gritty younger players, Luke Kunin, Jake Middleton. Arber Xhejak. Tell your scouts to start valuing grit, leadership and players who are good teammates over analytics and just speed.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
It's an awful cliche but you can't expect kittens to play like tigers, and the biggest p***y cat around in Donnie Sweeney built a team of mostly kittens.

Do not wait until the summer, move Donnie out now and Montgomery, Sacco and Kelly, if he is running the power play, can all go. Move some of the kittens for less talented tigers who show up every night and play hard. Really should not be that hard to find. Move Grizz, Forbort and Shattenkirk for anything, if the deal is right move Carlo and Lindholm. Goalie hugs are great, wins are better, use Ullmark as part of a package to get a number one center.

Call up Lohrei, Lysell, Beecher. Give Kuntar and Regula looks. Add gritty younger players, Luke Kunin, Jake Middleton. Arber Xhejak. Tell your scouts to start valuing grit, leadership and players who are good teammates over analytics and just speed.
Love it. I keep Monty though, he's publicly asked for a grittier team a few times.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

And then what? :laugh:

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
People are aware they have the 3rd most points in the league right? Not the conference- the league.

Advocating for selling. Firing the coach. Place is filled with delusion, so f***ing silly sometimes lol. Get a grip folks.

I think the last years playoff results showed that that the regular season success doenst mean much. I dont want them to fire Monty or sell but as the team is built right now I dont see them making a run. They also dont have the assests to spend to improve the team into being a contender.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

I’ve been beating the leadership drum since Chara. Look at the team style, culture, attitude, whatever since the big guy has been gone. It’s been a downward spiral for 3-4 years now until it’s reached this point. We once had a GM who recognized these things and added guys like Recchi and Shane Hnidy during the season. Now? Crickets

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
The Bruins are a very good team still . Are they a soft team unfortunately yes. Can they change this before playoffs not really.

The Lucic situation has had a significant impact on this team . A fourth line with both Lucic and Beecher would have helped size wise. I expect Beecher to be in Boston for the playoffs.

Sweeney does not have the resources to change things this year. Players like 48 and 28 and some bottom six forwards need to be replaced before next season. for this team to have more grit.

Making the playoffs this year is a major accomplishment considering the players they lost from last year and the salary cap hell they had to face this year. Just enjoy how fortunate we are as Bruin fans to have a winning team for so many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad