Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Development Tracker

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Literally at least offensively, Seminoff is doing nothing. Possibility of being sent back to Kamloops to play for a contender?

Is he even eligible for that? If he was I would've expected that to already happen

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Idk at least he's playing regular AHL games unlike Arcuri . If he wasn't regularly in the lineup it would be something maybe worth a discussion but just not really producing offense yet isn't really a reason to send an overage back to juniors.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Literally at least offensively, Seminoff is doing nothing. Possibility of being sent back to Kamloops to play for a contender?

His play is good enough for the AHL imo, he just hasn't put it together offensively yet. Kills penalties pretty well and plays on the 4th line. Offense just isn't his role on that stacked team

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Bichsel has declined to play in the World Juniors for Switzerland, so he can focus on playing for Rogle.

Source: Bichsel rinuncia ai Mondiali U20, nonostante l'ok di Dallas

In the two games he's played, he's been 4th in D-men ice-time for Rogle. He was a -2 in his most recent game. However, it's still early.

100degreehockey.com posted an interview with Scott White today (Texas GM Scott White on Lian Bichsel's Departure, Gavin Bayreuther's Progress). Apparently Jim Nill, Mark Janko, and White all met with him to present the case of why staying in Texas was best for his development. Bichsel disagreed, and as you know, left for Rogle.

An apparent benefit for him going to Rogle was to play for the Abbott brothers who played a role in Seider's development. Well... they were fired on Sunday.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bichsel has declined to play in the World Juniors for Switzerland, so he can focus on playing for Rogle.

Source: Bichsel rinuncia ai Mondiali U20, nonostante l'ok di Dallas

In the two games he's played, he's been 4th in D-men ice-time for Rogle. He was a -2 in his most recent game. However, it's still early.

100degreehockey.com posted an interview with Scott White today (Texas GM Scott White on Lian Bichsel's Departure, Gavin Bayreuther's Progress). Apparently Jim Nill, Mark Janko, and White all met with him to present the case of why staying in Texas was best for his development. Bichsel disagreed, and as you know, left for Rogle.

An apparent benefit for him going to Rogle was to play for the Abbott brothers who played a role in Seider's development. Well... they were fired on Sunday.

Really hope that he isn't going to be picky about where he plays in the NHL, when the time comes.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Really hope that he isn't going to be picky about where he plays in the NHL, when the time comes.
Would worry if we weren’t competitive or had a grim future. But that’s not the case. Also no ties to any city/team through birth nor father.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Honestly I wouldn't trust the Stars' defenseman development program anyway. I can't say they've had much success over the last 10 years of developing reliable defensemen internally.

Lindell basically? Maybe Harley? Oleksiak and Nemeth were the last regime.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If the time comes

I'm already over this Bitchsel saga. It doesn't sound like he's interested in listening to the organization- who probably know a lot better than his agent/agency who have no other NHL clients(???).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Honestly I wouldn't trust the Stars' defenseman development program anyway. I can't say they've had much success over the last 10 years of developing reliable defensemen internally.

Lindell basically? Maybe Harley? Oleksiak and Nemeth were the last regime.
In the Nill era, the success stories are Klingberg, Lindell, Miro, and Harley (the latter three still make up the backbone of the defense). There’s also partial credit for Nemeth, Oleksiak, and Dillon. Johns might have been heading to another success had concussions not ended his career.

There have been some misses, but I think the success rate matches up with most any other team you’d want to compare them to.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
In the Nill era, the success stories are Klingberg, Lindell, Miro, and Harley (the latter three still make up the backbone of the defense). There’s also partial credit for Nemeth, Oleksiak, and Dillon. Johns might have been heading to another success had concussions not ended his career.

There have been some misses, but I think the success rate matches up with most any other team you’d want to compare them to.
Miro spent 0 time in our development system. Klingberg spent 13games over 2 years (aka he spent next to no time in it and was NHL ready on his 10 game opening season stint in the AHL). Lindell and Harley are the only 2 to come out of our "internal development" track with any success at the NHL and Harley is still too early to chalk up as a win yet.

Oleksiak didn't amount to anything until Pittsburgh got their hands on him.

If the time comes

I'm already over this Bitchsel saga. It doesn't sound like he's interested in listening to the organization- who probably know a lot better than his agent/agency who have no other NHL clients(???).
Yeah trust Dallas, where we'll send our best goalie to the AHL because reasons. We'll scratch a young d-men for a 30yr old who'll amount to nothing, so another 38yr d-man can work through his mistakes, where we'll keep an NHL ready player off the roster because he's not tall enough to ride some rollercoasters.

Last edited:
Reactions: piqued and Elysian

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Miro spent 0 time in our development system. Klingberg spent 13games over 2 years (aka he spent next to no time in it and was NHL ready on his 10 game opening season stint). Lindell and Harley are the only 2 to come out of our "internal development" track with any success at the NHL and Harley is still too early to chalk up as a win yet
Wait, are you saying a guy has to spend extensive time in the AHL to be considered a successful example?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Wait, are you saying a guy has to spend extensive time in the AHL to be considered a successful example?
You can't say the Stars developed a defenseman when he spent next to 0 time developing within the organization.
Several of the "key" players you listed, developed in Europe, not with Dallas, even Lindell/Nemeth spent a decent amount of time outside of Dallas reach.

Miro was the best defenseman on the team right away, as was Klingberg when he came in. It had 0 to do with the Stars

Last edited:
Reactions: Elysian

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You can't say the Stars developed a defenseman when he spent next to 0 time developing within the organization.
Several of the "key" players you listed, developed in Europe, not with Dallas, even Lindell/Nemeth spent a decent amount of time outside of Dallas reach.

Miro was the best defenseman on the team right away, as was Klingberg when he came in. It had 0 to do with the Stars
Miro went through one or maybe two rookie camps before becoming an everyday NHLer. He went through training camp with the Stars. It's not like he arrived to the NHL without ever having talked to anyone on the Stars. Klingberg had a lot of the same.

By your logic, you'd also exclude Jamie Benn or Wyatt Johnston from an example of a success stories because they jumped right from juniors to the NHL.

If you're limiting a team's successes to only guys who played a bunch of AHL games, then sure, the list of wins won't be very long -- and this is true for any team. That's because most guys who are high end players often skip the AHL entirely or barely spend any time there.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

I don't think players are siloed away from the team if they develop in Europe. Only NCAA prospects are 'independent' from the team's influence.

Reactions: LT
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
When you set the bar at "must be developed by your AHL team to count as a team-developed defenseman success" you're not going to find many success stories on any team in the league, much less the Stars.

I checked Colorado and Carolina since lots of people talk about how good those defenses are, and both teams have zero defensemen who would meet that qualification, so Dallas is already doing better with Harley. (Makar, Slavin, and Pesce are all college-developed, in case you were curious).

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I told everyone Bichsel is an idiot weeks ago, but apparently I was wrong. The dude is a weirdo..

Denies world juniors, denies Texas, denies development camp..

Give a year or two and he will deny showing up to training camp, lmaooo

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
If the time comes

It certainly seems like he is intent on charting his own course, which I guess he is perfectly entitled to.

Is there another example of a draft pick picking and choosing his situation like this? In a short amount of time he has been playing in Switzerland, playing in Sweden, declined the WJC prep camp last year but agreed to play on the team. Playing in the AHL but with an out clause. Back to Europe, but declining WJC this time, etc. He seems extremely picky, or focused, or weird, or all three.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I told everyone Bichsel is an idiot weeks ago, but apparently I was wrong. The dude is a weirdo..

Or maybe he shows up to camp next year, makes the team, and we learn this was all a fuss over nothing. Two of the team's best d-men of the past decade did all of their development time in Europe and turned out fine.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden

How is it idiotic or weird to want to work at you preferable workplace? He seems smart if anything else to include an out clause.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Is there another example of a draft pick picking and choosing his situation like this?
There may certainly be more we don't know about if it never became public.

Jason Boterill was asked by the Stars to go play in the IHL but chose to stay in college at Michigan another year, and the team wasn't happy about it. Nichushkin signed a KHL that let him avoid playing in the AHL.

I think this seldom comes up because it really only applies to college players and European players. Most draft picks come from Canadian junior leagues, and those players don't really have other options when they've graduated from juniors but aren't making the NHL roster. Sure, a kid form Thunder Bay could theoretically say he'd rather play in Sweden than the AHL, but the likelihood of that is very small.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't think players are siloed away from the team if they develop in Europe. Only NCAA prospects are 'independent' from the team's influence.
Sure, but the stars "development" of European players is mostly hands off.
Over the last 20years the more "hands on" the Stars have had with development (which does extend to the CHL), the worse those players have been.
If you were to compare the defensemen that played in the NHL for the stars, those that spent significant time developing in Europe/NCAA away from the direct control of the Stars vs staying in NA (CHL/ECHL/AHL), you would find players that the "hands off" players played almost 4000 games in the NHL and counting. and the Hands On players are under 2000 games.
You would also find that all but Dillon are players who were drafted in the 1st round.
Where's the Euro/NCAA group would only have Heiskanen and Niskanen in the 1st round.

You can look at Honka.
He was drafted in the 1st round. He followed team advice and jumped to the AHL, using the Euro player loophole. spent several years listening to and following Stars coaches advice. Absolute dogshit player.
Oleksiak was rescued by Pittsburgh.
Harley is still tbd but at least looks good.
Dillon is really the Stars lone "success" story for a complete hands on development not turning into complete dogshit.

I'm sure the Stars were in contact with Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell, etc, while they were in Europe, and probably said focus on this or work on this. but we know they weren't there everyday "directing" them, and not so coincidentally they're the players that, far more often, turn into anything at the NHL level for the Stars

Reactions: piqued

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad