Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He has quite clearly been his least trusted dman out of Mailloux, Trudeau, Struble, Barron, Bisson and Galipeau. I would go a step further and say he has easily been the worst of this group based on my viewings and is no longer a legitimate prospect for this franchise.
I would say he's still young and we will hold his rfa rights for another three years. The rest year. He needs to go reset his mind in Europe. Houle clearly has had him at the bottom of his totem pole since the beginning and I think his play in training camp was saying please not Houle again. He immediately dipped and has looked lost all year since being sent down.

AHL doesn't track it but all of houles doghouse are near the bottom of the team on +/- which suggests they either all suck defensively or they're getting the worst assignments on the team. Mysak is not bad defensively so I lean towards a combination of both. Recently I've seen Norlinder in the offensive zone more when I watch clips and anecdotally his +/- has been climbing at the same time.

Norlinder was never a guy you wanted starting in the defensive zone so it's perplexing why that has been his role. I would assume they were working on his weaknesses but would he not also lose his strengths with zero pp time?

I see either a change of scenery trade or a year in Europe to reevaluate. Joel Hanley became an NHLer so I'm not writing him off.

For whatever reason they expected him to be like 7 years pros bisson and galipeau when he's still a prospect who missed a lot of time to injury and COVID.

Reactions: Fenris

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Norlinder has bad +/- because he is bad defensively. On top of that he no longer fills an organizational need as Trudeau and Barron play a similar style of play. He needs to go back to Europe where he can have a decent career. I don't expect him to come back to NA, at least probably not in Montreal.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I would say he's still young and we will hold his rfa rights for another three years. The rest year. He needs to go reset his mind in Europe. Houle clearly has had him at the bottom of his totem pole since the beginning and I think his play in training camp was saying please not Houle again. He immediately dipped and has looked lost all year since being sent down.

AHL doesn't track it but all of houles doghouse are near the bottom of the team on +/- which suggests they either all suck defensively or they're getting the worst assignments on the team. Mysak is not bad defensively so I lean towards a combination of both. Recently I've seen Norlinder in the offensive zone more when I watch clips and anecdotally his +/- has been climbing at the same time.

Norlinder was never a guy you wanted starting in the defensive zone so it's perplexing why that has been his role. I would assume they were working on his weaknesses but would he not also lose his strengths with zero pp time?

I see either a change of scenery trade or a year in Europe to reevaluate. Joel Hanley became an NHLer so I'm not writing him off.

For whatever reason they expected him to be like 7 years pros bisson and galipeau when he's still a prospect who missed a lot of time to injury and COVID.

Norlinder sucks because Norlinder sucks.....not because of Houle or anyone else.

Reactions: Sagikev and Addik04

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Going to the Laval game tonight. I went a lot of times 2 years ago and haven't gone since. I did follow them as much as possible though. I look forward to seeing Mailloux in action.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Simoneau will have surgery and will end his season
That's unfortunate, he's a big part of the team. Did this happen against Bridgeport the other night? I didn't see anything happen, but I also shut off the game late in the 2nd when it was 5-0.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Are Reinbacher and Engstrom even eligible to play in the AHL playoffs???

Yes they are. However, even if they come over and play with Laval, if they are called up and play for Montreal, they would no longer be eligible. They'd have to stay in Montreal.

But if they keep them in Laval, they're eligible.

I'm including Hudson, Tuch and Kapanen in the same question?

Hutson would also be available. But I think he will sign his ELC and play in Montreal. College players of his caliber usually sign and play in the NHL and burn a year of their ELC.

If he does indeed come over and play for Laval, he'd be eligible.

Same with Tuch up front.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Yes they are. However, even if they come over and play with Laval, if they are called up and play for Montreal, they would no longer be eligible. They'd have to stay in Montreal.

But if they keep them in Laval, they're eligible.

Hutson would also be available. But I think he will sign his ELC and play in Montreal. College players of his caliber usually sign and play in the NHL and burn a year of their ELC.

If he does indeed come over and play for Laval, he'd be eligible.

Same with Tuch up front.
That's awesome news. Assuming Kapanen is the same?
Really curious if Hudson would be keen for the chance to play some competitive playoff hockey with Laval as opposed to getting his feet wet with Montreal for a few meaningless games - but I think you're right that he'll want NHL - I believe it burns 1 year off his ELC but I might be wrong about that

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Would be pretty sweet to see Laval make the playoffs and we get to watch them with reinforcements in Struble, Roy, Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Kapanen, and Tuch

Reactions: bopeep

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wonder if we will see a coaching change in Laval next season...

I think so. JF Houle's contract expires. There were rumors Kelly Buchberger was going to leave last season to go closer to home in Western Canada. He didn't go, but with his contract expiring, expect him to leave.

I think Sedgwick and HuGo will hire their own staff.

I know they are a real young team and that surely played a part in their lack of consistency, but I believe they need to bring a fresh group of people behind the bench. If they do overhaul the staff, it would be interesting if they go for someone with pro hockey experience or if they will bring in someone from the Q ready to take the next step in their coaching career.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think so. JF Houle's contract expires. There were rumors Kelly Buchberger was going to leave last season to go closer to home in Western Canada. He didn't go, but with his contract expiring, expect him to leave.

I think Sedgwick and HuGo will hire their own staff.

I know they are a real young team and that surely played a part in their lack of consistency, but I believe they need to bring a fresh group of people behind the bench. If they do overhaul the staff, it would be interesting if they go for someone with pro hockey experience or if they will bring in someone from the Q ready to take the next step in their coaching career.

Hopefully they find another bright, young mind.. I can't handle another dinosaur like Houle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad