Laval Rocket: 2023-24 Laval Rocket Thread

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
A proposed rule change in the nhl is penalizing a goalie who intentionally knocks the net off. Dobes is in big trouble!

Reactions: overlords

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

It would make a lot of sense for Andersson to go back to Europe as his North American hockey career hasn't gone as planned.

and a free bye into the Spengler like Team Canada. :sarcasm:

Every Broadcast I've ever heard at the Spengler had former players mentioning how this is the most desired destination in Europe.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think so. JF Houle's contract expires. There were rumors Kelly Buchberger was going to leave last season to go closer to home in Western Canada. He didn't go, but with his contract expiring, expect him to leave.

I think Sedgwick and HuGo will hire their own staff.

I know they are a real young team and that surely played a part in their lack of consistency, but I believe they need to bring a fresh group of people behind the bench. If they do overhaul the staff, it would be interesting if they go for someone with pro hockey experience or if they will bring in someone from the Q ready to take the next step in their coaching career.

Houle has done his job as well as could reasonably be expected and I think they would want him back but I am not sure that he would want to necessarily come back.

His job is not to build a game plan and strategies as most coaches do. He has to attempt to implement a replica of MSL's system which is not conducive to success at the AHL level as it is dependant on hockey IQ which is the single most common problem with AHLers. I suspect that he would prefer to be in a situation where he can implement his own ideas but who know, maybe he is happy where he is and sees potential opportunities in Montreal. (MOD)

Houle blaming is just low hanging fruit for those who are looking for something to blame and is both boring and annoying to have to read/witness. (MOD)

I am not saying that this applies to you but have seen way too much of this typical social media nonsense on this board. (MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mdk

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Houle has done his job as well as could reasonably be expected and I think they would want him back but I am not sure that he would want to necessarily come back.

His job is not to build a game plan and strategies as most coaches do. He has to attempt to implement a replica of MSL's system which is not conducive to success at the AHL level as it is dependant on hockey IQ which is the single most common problem with AHLers. I suspect that he would prefer to be in a situation where he can implement his own ideas but who know, maybe he is happy where he is and sees potential opportunities in Montreal.

Houle blaming is just low hanging fruit for those who are looking for something to blame and is both boring and annoying to have to read/witness.

I am not saying that this applies to you but have seen way too much of this typical social media nonsense on this board.
RHP, Struble, Xhekaj, Roy, Primeau…Mailloux seems to be on the right track too

Cannot say he made a bad job. I don’t expect Houle make Gignac as future top 6 NHL forward. Our young prospect in majority have success in the AHL and are useful in the NHL. We are far from Sylvain Lefebvre imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Man I'm torn about which game to watch tonight Hockey East Championship or Laval vs Belleville.
I'm definitely leaning towards Hockey East because of the finality of it all.
I've also never had much success flipping back and forth.
The staggered start times will help a bit though.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

His job is not to build a game plan and strategies as most coaches do. He has to attempt to implement a replica of MSL's system which is not conducive to success at the AHL level as it is dependant on hockey IQ which is the single most common problem with AHLers. I suspect that he would prefer to be in a situation where he can implement his own ideas but who know, maybe he is happy where he is and sees potential opportunities in Montreal. (MOD)

Houle blaming is just low hanging fruit for those who are looking for something to blame and is both boring and annoying to have to read/witness. (MOD)

I am not saying that this applies to you but have seen way too much of this typical social media nonsense on this board. (MOD)
The opportunity to coach the talent of next year’s lineup would be hard to pass up on.

You’re likely adding the best defenceman in the NCAA, a top-5 pick with pro experience, and a top pairing D from the SHL on the back end. It’s rare you’d get one of those for a season let alone three. Beck and Mesar are hardly anything to sniff at either - one plays a pro style and the other already has pro experience. Lots of the best vets will likely be sticking around and you now have a dedicated AHL GM. It’s an exciting environment to be a part of. Whether it’s Houle or another coach, I don’t think you’d struggle to find takers for the job.

Not all coaches are destined for the NHL and Houle is well aware of that. If he can shape his career around being a great development coach and a key part of the Habs success, that’s a much longer career trajectory than hoping for another gig elsewhere that might get you to the NHL based on AHL wins.

Reactions: DAChampion

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The opportunity to coach the talent of next year’s lineup would be hard to pass up on.

You’re likely adding the best defenceman in the NCAA, a top-5 pick with pro experience, and a top pairing D from the SHL on the back end. It’s rare you’d get one of those for a season let alone three. Beck and Mesar are hardly anything to sniff at either - one plays a pro style and the other already has pro experience. Lots of the best vets will likely be sticking around and you now have a dedicated AHL GM. It’s an exciting environment to be a part of. Whether it’s Houle or another coach, I don’t think you’d struggle to find takers for the job.

Not all coaches are destined for the NHL and Houle is well aware of that. If he can shape his career around being a great development coach and a key part of the Habs success, that’s a much longer career trajectory than hoping for another gig elsewhere that might get you to the NHL based on AHL wins.

Every coach with Houle's resume is 100% looking to coach in the NHL I do agree that he may very well be happy in Laval but I do hold firm in the assertion that he may want to actually run his team as he has always done prior to being in Montreal where so many aspects of his job are dictated to and has has a limited ability to put his stamp on the team.

I don't think that he will just quit without a back up plan but I would not be shocked if he is given permission to entertain other opportunities before recommitting.

I am just throwing out hypothetical scenarios that are entirely of my own making. This is not a typical avenue of thought that I would normally share and is nothing more than something that is a curiosity. I wouldn't look too deeply into such silly musings as I am hardly married to them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Burning a year of Farrell's waiver exemption time last year to get him in 6 games isn't looking so good.

He could be a late bloomer, but after this season he'll only have 1 year before he has to pass through waivers instead of 2.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Burning a year of Farrell's waiver exemption time last year to get him in 6 games isn't looking so good.

He could be a late bloomer, but after this season he'll only have 1 year before he has to pass through waivers instead of 2.
I'm not a big fan of burning 1 year off in order to convince our NCAA prospects to sign. Not sure if there's risk of losing them and that's what it takes.

We'll soon need to make a similar decision with Hutson and Tuch - guessing Tuch has no leverage but convincing Hutson to wait and play for Laval for the rest of the season would be a hard sell.

I guess the advantage for the team is these guys have less time to put up big numbers and earn a massive contract.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not a big fan of burning 1 year off in order to convince our NCAA prospects to sign. Not sure if there's risk of losing them and that's what it takes.

We'll soon need to make a similar decision with Hutson and Tuch - guessing Tuch has no leverage but convincing Hutson to wait and play for Laval for the rest of the season would be a hard sell.

I guess the advantage for the team is these guys have less time to put up big numbers and earn a massive contract.
Also, they may need the extra year to develop in the A, instead of sitting on the bench in the NHL because they can't be sent down.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A proposed rule change in the nhl is penalizing a goalie who intentionally knocks the net off. Dobes is in big trouble!
That rule has been in place for a long time, it would just be a matter of enforcing it more stringently.

They are not offering them the opportunity to burn a year just for fun, of course it is because it has been negotiated.

Reactions: jrom

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Damn a 4:00 PM start time in a 3rd game in 3 days. :help:
Seriously I was 100% convinced this would be a night game.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Damn a 4:00 PM start time in a 3rd game in 3 days. :help:
Seriously I was 100% convinced this would be a night game.

Belleville starts their game against Hartford at 2 PM so hopefully they have a hard time with around 16h between games.

We'll also have some results of the Utica/Rochester game as they start at 15:05.

Reactions: Rapala

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Upcoming Schedule:
March 27th @Utica
March 29th vs Belleville
March 30th vs Belleville

All three have a massive impact on playoffs chances as both teams are battling Laval for the 5th and final spot

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

McGuire said it on his podcast w Jimmy Murphy and they mentioned it on Spittin Chicklets - Cutter Gauthier wanted to turn pro last spring, and Philly wouldn’t sign him which derailed their relationship.

Farrell wouldn’t have signed w Habs if they refused to burn a year off his ELC. Shouldn’t be an issue w Tuch, who likely will follow same route as Struble, but Hutson will burn a year off his ELC without a doubt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad