Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
People seem to be ignoring that no NHL team has scratched guys for trade reasons yet. I can't remember if in the past few years teams were doing it by now, but if they were and aren't now you have to figure the league told them to quit doing it
The league has zero authority to dictate who you healthy scratch, that’d be very unlikely ImO

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The league has zero authority to dictate who you healthy scratch, that’d be very unlikely ImO
Yes, but the league could have gotten push back from the NHLPA (who has a new guy in charge). If players are getting healthy scratched to be traded, that's bad for the player, who isn't being sat for performance related reasons but has less of a chance to produce for his next contract.

If I'm Henrique and I'm hot and I'm looking for my next contract, I don't want to sit so that the team I'm leaving can make sure they get a better asset for me in trade. I could see the NHLPA taking issue with that if it becomes rampant. There was some rumbling about Gavrikov being upset last year when he sat a bunch of games while Columbus was trying to trade him to Boston.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelDuck

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
People seem to be ignoring that no NHL team has scratched guys for trade reasons yet. I can't remember if in the past few years teams were doing it by now, but if they were and aren't now you have to figure the league told them to quit doing it
Chychrun was scratched for 2-3 weeks before he was finally traded to Ottawa. Why? To prevent an injury before an inevitable trade.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yet this year we’re 5 days out and no one has done it
True but very few teams have as valuable a piece as Henrique that they know they are going to trade. I'd prefer they sit him but I understand the counter argument. But if he does get hurt tonight I don't want certain posters to b*tch and moan about how the Ducks could have avoided the situation.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
True but very few teams have as valuable a piece as Henrique that they know they are going to trade. I'd prefer they sit him but I understand the counter argument. But if he does get hurt tonight I don't want certain poster to b*tch and moan about how the Ducks could have avoided the situation.
I for one don’t really care if they scratch or play Henrique, just saying that for whatever reason it’s not being done league wide this season, at least so far

Reactions: 11Justin93 and tomd

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
The gavrikov situation last year may have been the reason for the lack of trade scratches. It seemed like a mess

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, but the league could have gotten push back from the NHLPA (who has a new guy in charge). If players are getting healthy scratched to be traded, that's bad for the player, who isn't being sat for performance related reasons but has less of a chance to produce for his next contract.

If I'm Henrique and I'm hot and I'm looking for my next contract, I don't want to sit so that the team I'm leaving can make sure they get a better asset for me in trade. I could see the NHLPA taking issue with that if it becomes rampant. There was some rumbling about Gavrikov being upset last year when he sat a bunch of games while Columbus was trying to trade him to Boston.
You actually think Henrique being scratched has any bearing on what he gets on his impending FA contract? That’s a wild take

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
I think for Tkachuk the 1st is the add. They’ll want Zegras/McTavish/Mintyukov in addition.

In which case no thank you.
Agreed. If they were willing to gamble on upping the odds they land Celebrini with our unprotected first, I'd be all over it. Maybe even an add like Zel or Terrance. But moving one of those guys is a lateral move IMO

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
You actually think Henrique being scratched has any bearing on what he gets on his impending FA contract? That’s a wild take
Do you think a player's statistics matter in how much he gets paid? If I'm a player in Henrique's situation, I want to be in the lineup unless there's a performance reason not to have me in there. There is not.

Of course the Ducks don't want him to get hurt. But only because they want a better asset for him. As a player, that's not an acceptable reason to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the PA made some not so subtle comments to the NHL after the Gavrikov debacle that players sitting before they've been traded is not ok.

If I'm the Ducks, I want to make my organization a place where players want to play. If that reputation is helped by not sitting players before they're traded, that's worthwhile. Mostly I'm against sitting players without good reason. If Henrique is fine with it, then so be it.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelDuck

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If I'm the Ducks, I want to make my organization a place where players want to play. If that reputation is helped by not sitting players before they're traded, that's worthwhile. Mostly I'm against sitting players without good reason. If Henrique is fine with it, then so be it.
That’s quite a reach to think a team’s reputation as a desirable place to play goes up in smoke for sitting a player two games before the TDL.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Do you think a player's statistics matter in how much he gets paid? If I'm a player in Henrique's situation, I want to be in the lineup unless there's a performance reason not to have me in there. There is not.

Of course the Ducks don't want him to get hurt. But only because they want a better asset for him. As a player, that's not an acceptable reason to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the PA made some not so subtle comments to the NHL after the Gavrikov debacle that players sitting before they've been traded is not ok.

If Anaheim wants to turn into a desirable place for players to play, it will probably help to make the organisation not be the complete dumpster fire it has been the last 7 years, rather then worrying about the so called reputational effects by protecting an important trade asset by scratching them for a couple of games.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Puts pressure on other team to cough up the assets before the player they want in a trade gets hurt in a game ?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
That’s quite a reach to think a team’s reputation as a desirable place to play goes up in smoke for sitting a player two games before the TDL.
I didn't say it goes up in smoke. For a team that needs all the help in can get in the reputation department, every little bit matters. Good for the Ducks for playing him.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If filteri g stats in 2024, Rico and Vatrano are just below PPG, so they're in a good trajectory if they're being traded.

But ofc, it will all depend on how much other teams are willing to pay – they will get less minutes on a contender.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Unless it’s announced he’s signed an extension, zero reason to even consider that as a possibility

If Rico wanted to stay and think he does he’ll pull a Grant. But he knows it has to be done since it will help the team. Cannot let him walk for nothing.

It’s a question of when not if, now.

Team has 2 days off, so will be interesting if something happens in the next 48 hours.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I am worried that Pat and Cronin and are envisioning him turning into a player that he just can’t become and in the process stifling/neutering his offense.

He has already improved his defense and they are not asking him to play defense just be responsible there.

Honestly it makes me think they believe he is part of the future and want to mold him into that player they think he can be. They see how much his offense is missed.

Obviously if someone is sending us a top pairing young D, then it’s different but they are not. No one is untouchable on the team for the right price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad