Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
All I ask for is the team to improve - I don’t care if we acquire another bad contract, I just want to see the team get better
Naw f that. A top pair RHD gets brought in this summer, kids grow. The entire league will hate Big cutter G. Next season we push for a playoff spot. Or I’m disappointed. We have so much cap space and I’m sorry, enough is enough. We have franchise pieces already + a chance at #1 this draft. Kids need true talent next season as well as our fan base. Mctavish was quoted sad saying “ I can’t take another seaosn like that “ this past summer. Well, he got one. But we can all kind of excuse a lot of it due to injury. We CAN NOT go through this shit again. We risk alienating the young players further.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Naw f that. A top pair RHD gets brought in this summer, kids grow. The entire league will hate Big cutter G. Next season we push for a playoff spot. Or I’m disappointed. We have so much cap space and I’m sorry, enough is enough. We have franchise pieces already + a chance at #1 this draft. Kids need true talent next season as well as our fan base. Mctavish was quoted sad saying “ I can’t take another seaosn like that “ this past summer. Well, he got one. But we can all kind of excuse a lot of it due to injury. We CAN NOT go through this shit again. We risk alienating the young players further.
Unfortunately, there is no shop where you can just go in and order top RHD's

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Unfortunately, there is no shop where you can just go in and order top RHD's
We have cap space, we have assets, we have the end of a rebuild, we have antsy fans. It’s all there for us to make sure it happens.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We have cap space, we have assets, we have the end of a rebuild, we have antsy fans. It’s all there for us to make sure it happens.

@Kalv is correct.
cap space can be misused all too quickly...all it takes is overpaying a couple of UFA contracts.
what assets?
when did the end of the rebuild get announced?
fans are always antsy if not furious...just look north at a team that ended their rebuild too early.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

Still need a team to want to deal one. Who do you suggest would be available that would fit that role?

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well that’s not happening at this deadline, you’re going to have wait another 4 months for that
Idk I think getting rid of lybushkin was an improvement .

So would 31 other teams. He's going to want a retirement contract...not a "fill the roll for 2-3 seasons" contract.
Ceci could be an ideal rhd stop gap, he’s been decent with oilers.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So would 31 other teams. He's going to want a retirement contract...not a "fill the roll for 2-3 seasons" contract.
So give it to him. He fills a role we don't have in the system and if the deal is around 5 years it's palatable.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So give it to him. He fills a role we don't have in the system and if the deal is around 5 years it's palatable.
You might...I even might. But PV traded away Lindholm - who is the same age as Pesce - two years ago rather than pay him a retirement contract. And now you think he wants to sign an almost 30 year-old to a 6-7 year $6-8 million contract? I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
You might...I even might. But PV traded away Lindholm - who is the same age as Pesce - two years ago rather than pay him a retirement contract. And now you think he wants to sign an almost 30 year-old to a 6-7 year $6-8 million contract? I just don't see it happening.
Pesce has also been pretty poor this season. I’d be much more interested in Matt Roy.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
We'll see what the market yields for Pesce. We also had a lot more LD depth in the system when assessing Lindholms contract. Lot easier to move on when youbhave 3-4 promising LD prospects.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We'll see what the market yields for Pesce. We also had a lot more LD depth in the system when assessing Lindholms contract. Lot easier to move on when youbhave 3-4 promising LD prospects.
The other part of the equation is whether he even wants to play here without a Killorn style overpayment.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Rob, I’m sorry. I just can’t agree with you here. sure, we have cap space and asset prospects, but are they viewed equally around the league like we do?

I flip flop daily on how I view this team. I hate to be pessimistic all the time, but I just don’t see the ‘end’ in sight in this rebuild. If we are trading Lyubushkin (and potentially) Henrique, Vatrano, and Carrick - that’s telling me we are in another frustrating year of finishing in the basement. Is the plan really to ice another roster full of kids?

There is nothing wrong with taking on bad contracts. A lot of people on here make it seem like we are going up against the cap if we take salary on. It’s not a big deal really. This losing culture needs a shake up and different identities in the room

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad