WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fowler Gudas
Mintyukov Luneau
Vaakanainen Zellweger
LaCombe

Roy would be nice. A bigger need is a true #1. Hopefully one of the kids can develop into that, or we draft one this summer.

We'll see his recovery leaves him heading into camp next year, but given the way his season went this year, I won't be surprised if they pump the brakes on Luneau a bit, and start him down with the Gulls until he forced his way back up.

He needs top 4 type minutes for the sake of his development, but I think you get him those in the AHL to start. Then a properly sheltered role once he cracks the NHL full time.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ironically, PV picked Leason up off waivers when he was about 22. And to be clear, I'm not overhyping Leason but simply recognizing that he is already an NHL player who seems to be improving. Tracey is an AHL player who seems to be getting worse. Pretty easy choice for me. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure that Tracey is getting worse. He's being utilized differently this year and stuck in a 3rd line role or lower this year. Mostly, he's being used with Gaucher. Tracey is +0 this year, but last year was a -17. Two years ago, I didn't think Tracey could survive being in a bottom-6 role.

Tracey is a late bloomer, both physically and talent-wise - in that order. His first year in the WHL was his draft year, but he was surrounded by older offensive players in a 1st line role. At the AHL level, Tracey-Perreault had offensive chemistry, but each passing season they're separated more and more. Today, we're not using Tracey in a top-6 role. Our AHL program has gone to shits for the past few seasons. Tracey is on his fourth AHL head coach.

I wouldn't mind keeping Tracey around another year and continue his development. We need to get lucky and find good players to fill in our NHL roster.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We'll see his recovery leaves him heading into camp next year, but given the way his season went this year, I won't be surprised if they pump the brakes on Luneau a bit, and start him down with the Gulls until he forced his way back up.

He needs top 4 type minutes for the sake of his development, but I think you get him those in the AHL to start. Then a properly sheltered role once he cracks the NHL full time.
Ya luneau kinda a big ?.

If he won’t be ready then I think it’s helleson/Vaaks or moore inserting into ththe line up. But I could see us just take ceci as a cap dump

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Yeah, that sounds like a prudent approach with Luneau, but Vebeek's plan is on an accelerated pace with so many youths pushed up to the NHL level this season. I expect Luneau at the NHL level next year, but I'll feel better if he starts in the AHL and then get promoted.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Players like Tracey really sum up the failure of this team being able to draft and develop forwards that aren't at the very top of the draft

I'll take that deficiency knowing we far exceed the average of drafting d-men and goalies outside the top of the draft. Because of our depth at defense, we were able to trade Drysdale and a 2nd round pick for a "very top of the draft" forward in Cutter.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ya luneau kinda a big ?.

If he won’t be ready then I think it’s helleson/Vaaks or moore inserting into ththe line up. But I could see us just take ceci as a cap dump
It was a small sample size, but I thought Luneau was great in his few games this year. PV even mentioned his growth in such a short period of time being a factor in his willingness to trade Drysdale. Obviously that may have changed with his knee issues.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I really hope we don’t play Henrique tomorrow. We’re kind of playing with fire at this point
Agreed. Even a hat trick tomorrow really doesn't raise his value. He's played really well all year especially right up until now. No real upside left before Friday, only downside. Treat him to an evening of Honda Center hot dogs, popcorn and a few overpriced adult beverages.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I understand the logic behind it, but I hate the idea of sitting a guy who's healthy and wants to play. If Henrique plays and gets hurt, it sucks, but it's just bad luck. That's sports.

If there's a deal imminent, then ok. But if Verbeek is still working the phones, I'm fine with Henrique playing.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I understand the logic behind it, but I hate the idea of sitting a guy who's healthy and wants to play. If Henrique plays and gets hurt, it sucks, but it's just bad luck. That's sports.

If there's a deal imminent, then ok. But if Verbeek is still working the phones, I'm fine with Henrique playing.
I mean it's iminent within several days. It's 2 games at this point.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Imminent to me means within a couple of hours. Verbeek knows the team, has the framework of a deal, and it's just the details that need to be hammered out. But if that's not in place and Henrique wants to be in the lineup, let him play.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Imminent to me means within a couple of hours. Verbeek knows the team, has the framework of a deal, and it's just the details that need to be hammered out. But if that's not in place and Henrique wants to be in the lineup, let him play.

Imminent from M-W.com:

: ready to take place : happening soon
… systems engineers have become rather blasé about the imminent liftoff.—Steven L. Thompson
—often used of something bad or dangerous seen as menacingly near
imminent disaster

The trade deadline is Mar 8 at 3pm ET/12pm PT. That is about six days or two games for the Ducks, which is soon. Missing two games isn't going to impact Rico nor this team's playoff chances. If Verbeek is trying to shop Rico, then maybe it's best not to break the product one is shopping. You do not leave it up to chance to avoid injury; you cannot trade an injured player.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Henriques tenure with the Ducks is more fascinating than a lot of guys we’ve had come thru over the years, including some really good players. He came on toward the tail end of the the Getzlaf/Perry days in a move that shipped out a popular player in Vatanen. He fit in seamlessly for a while then really struggled but over the past year or two he’s kinda been resurrected and fans love him again, for good reason.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Henriques tenure with the Ducks is more fascinating than a lot of guys we’ve had come thru over the years, including some really good players. He came on toward the tail end of the the Getzlaf/Perry days in a move that shipped out a popular player in Vatanen. He fit in seamlessly for a while then really struggled but over the past year or two he’s kinda been resurrected and fans love him again, for good reason.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if they try to bring him back

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I guess I just see Leason as an older player who also hasn't proven a whole lot so lean toward the younger player if I had to choose between them. I'm less invested in a waiver pickup than I am in our drafted player.
Leason is 24 turning 25 and Tracey is 22 turning 23......Leason is hardly some 35 year old vet on the downsing.

And why does it matter if Leason is a waiver pick up and Tracey is our drafted player? Should only care about which one is the better player, and that's easily Leason.

Tracey hasn't even established himself at the AHL level, and the fact he can't get even get a cup of coffee at the NHL level despite how terrible we are should be setting off alarm bells.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Leason is 24 turning 25 and Tracey is 22 turning 23......Leason is hardly some 35 year old vet on the downsing.

And why does it matter if Leason is a waiver pick up and Tracey is our drafted player? Should only care about which one is the better player, and that's easily Leason.

Tracey hasn't even established himself at the AHL level, and the fact he can't get even get a cup of coffee at the NHL level despite how terrible we are should be setting off alarm bells.
I'm not saying Tracy is better. I think Leason is an upgradable roster spot so you retain the guy who can stay in the AHL then give Leason a roster spot on the NHL club. To be fair if Tracy is waiver eligible then it's a moot point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad