Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wonder which of Jones, Lundestrom, Leason, and Lindstrom get qualified. LaCombe and Vaakanainen will for sure and I think Tracey, Nesterenko and Regenda will too. McLaughlin is the only one who will for sure be non-tendered. Groulx also very likely won't be

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Wonder which of Jones, Lundestrom, Leason, and Lindstrom get qualified. LaCombe and Vaakanainen will for sure and I think Tracey, Nesterenko and Regenda will too. McLaughlin is the only one who will for sure be non-tendered.
Qualified:
Jones
Lundestrom
Leason
LaCombe
Vaak
Nesterenko
Regenda

Not Qualified:
Tracey
McLaughlin

Maybe:
Lindstrom

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Qualified:
Jones
Lundestrom
Leason
LaCombe
Vaak
Nesterenko
Regenda

Not Qualified:
Tracey
McLaughlin

Maybe:
Lindstrom
I'd probably swap leason and Tracy. Tracy is 2 years younger. Lindstrom probably as well and let Hagg walk

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'd probably swap leason and Tracy. Tracy is 2 years younger. Lindstrom probably as well and let Hagg walk
Why would we qualify Tracey over Leason?

Tracey is a below average AHL player while Leason at worst is a decent bottom 6 NHL'er who can play a decent amount of PK minutes. Not to mention he has ok hands and is a big frame which enables him to play up the line up in a pinch.

It's a no brainer who we qualify out of the two.

It would be extremely frustrating that just as Leason shows NHL potential and forges himself a role as a defensively responsible bottom 6 forward (which we lack tbh), that we would let him walk.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Wonder which of Jones, Lundestrom, Leason, and Lindstrom get qualified. LaCombe and Vaakanainen will for sure and I think Tracey, Nesterenko and Regenda will too. McLaughlin is the only one who will for sure be non-tendered. Groulx also very likely won't be
I think there is absolutely no reason in not qualifying Lundestrom. He's dependable in the bottom six and can chip in some offense as well as well playing significant PK minutes. It's not as if he would come in at 2M or more, and even if he did, I'd be more than willing to get him signed up long-term. Once he is fully healed out and gets a full training camp under a competent coach, he might well become a bonafide tweener between 2nd/3rd line duties.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I think there is absolutely no reason in not qualifying Lundestrom. He's dependable in the bottom six and can chip in some offense as well as well playing significant PK minutes. It's not as if he would come in at 2M or more, and even if he did, I'd be more than willing to get him signed up long-term. Once he is fully healed out and gets a full training camp under a competent coach, he might well become a bonafide tweener between 2nd/3rd line duties.
I would’ve disagreed a month ago. But he’s getting it done for a while now.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Why would we qualify Tracey over Leason?

Tracey is a below average AHL player while Leason at worst is a decent bottom 6 NHL'er who can play a decent amount of PK minutes. Not to mention he has ok hands and is a big frame which enables him to play up the line up in a pinch.

It's a no brainer who we qualify out of the two.

It would be extremely frustrating that just as Leason shows NHL potential and forges himself a role as a defensively responsible bottom 6 forward (which we lack tbh), that we would let him walk.
I guess you see Leason much differently then I do.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is Matt Roy that good? I never came away thinking he was a top 4 guy.
Very solid, good compliment/defensively, would be a great option for us…. To pair with any of Mintyukov/zellweger or lacombe.

He’s not a #1 or top pairing guy, but he’s a solid top 4 guy

I guess you see Leason much differently then I do.
I’d keep leason over Tracey 100%…. I think leason could be a good bottom 6 player for he…. I’m not convinced Tracey is more than an ahl player.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Leason is actually 34K cheaper to qualify than Tracey.

We'll see but contracts are valuable with a max of 50 and I don't think Tracey has done anything to deserve one next year.
I guess I just see Leason as an older player who also hasn't proven a whole lot so lean toward the younger player if I had to choose between them. I'm less invested in a waiver pickup than I am in our drafted player.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I guess I just see Leason as an older player who also hasn't proven a whole lot so lean toward the younger player if I had to choose between them. I'm less invested in a waiver pickup than I am in our drafted player.
That seems to be a common problem on HF. But in Tracey's case, he just isn't an NHL player and almost certainly never will be. At least Leason has size and has actually been improving. He is molding himself into a potentially solid bottom six guy.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That seems to be a common problem on HF. But in Tracey's case, he just isn't an NHL player and almost certainly never will be. At least Leason has size and has actually been improving. He is molding himself into a potentially solid bottom six guy.
Let's be clear here, I'm not really invested in either. Leason is just older. He didn't do much in the AHL either. If you look at Leason at 22 you're not saying let's keep him! He has an NHL future!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Let's be clear here, I'm not really invested in either. Leason is just older. He didn't do much in the AHL either. If you look at Leason at 22 you're not saying let's keep him! He has an NHL future!
Ironically, PV picked Leason up off waivers when he was about 22. And to be clear, I'm not overhyping Leason but simply recognizing that he is already an NHL player who seems to be improving. Tracey is an AHL player who seems to be getting worse. Pretty easy choice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk Washington fans didn’t want to lose him at 22.

I think he’s a solid 4th liner, who can pk and move up to 3rd line. Id keep him around as a 4th liner and penalty killer

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
I think Capitals fans actually were saying that, I remember some being pretty upset about losing him. And Leason is older than Tracey but he's 24, it's not like he's some 30 year old fully developed career tweener.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Leason is 2 years older, and is a functional bottom 6 NHL player.

Leason has 8G 7A 15P in 46 GP in the NHL.

Tracey has 7G 11A 18P in 40GP in the AHL.

I don’t see enough Gulls games, or concentrate on Tracey in specific, but he’s not got “forcing his way to the NHL” stats. Neither did Leason, but after 2 years he’s starting to look like he can play in the NHL. I’m not sure I want to watch that same development curve again for the next 2 years.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Ironically, PV picked Leason up off waivers when he was about 22. And to be clear, I'm not overhyping Leason but simply recognizing that he is already an NHL player who seems to be improving. Tracey is an AHL player who seems to be getting worse. Pretty easy choice for me. Your mileage may vary.
I guess I just see and Leason as a replaceable and more important upgradable roster spot on the NHL team while Trqcey is younger and developing away from the NHL so out of sight out of mind. :/

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Leason is 2 years older, and is a functional bottom 6 NHL player.

Leason has 8G 7A 15P in 46 GP in the NHL.

Tracey has 7G 11A 18P in 40GP in the AHL.

I don’t see enough Gulls games, or concentrate on Tracey in specific, but he’s not got “forcing his way to the NHL” stats. Neither did Leason, but after 2 years he’s starting to look like he can play in the NHL. I’m not sure I want to watch that same development curve again for the next 2 years.
Agree.

And also worth keeping in mind that - fair or not - 6'4" players get the benefit of the doubt. 6'0" players typically do not.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Very solid, good compliment/defensively, would be a great option for us…. To pair with any of Mintyukov/zellweger or lacombe.

He’s not a #1 or top pairing guy, but he’s a solid top 4 guy

I’d keep leason over Tracey 100%…. I think leason could be a good bottom 6 player for he…. I’m not convinced Tracey is more than an ahl player.

Fowler Gudas
Mintyukov Luneau
Vaakanainen Zellweger
LaCombe

Roy would be nice. A bigger need is a true #1. Hopefully one of the kids can develop into that, or we draft one this summer.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Eklund (who is NEVER right) has doubled-down on his claim that the Kings are trying to trade for Gibson.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fowler Gudas
Mintyukov Luneau
Vaakanainen Zellweger
LaCombe

Roy would be nice. A bigger need is a true #1. Hopefully one of the kids can develop into that, or we draft one this summer.
i think you get Roy in hopes his game can help get Mintyukovs game to that #1 status.

I don’t think you’re really going to find a #1 available and at a reasonable cost. Best chance is Mintyukov becomes that guy or a get lucky at this draft

Mintyukov Roy
Lacombe luneau
Zellweger gudas

In theory 1 of Dickinson, levshunov or yakemchuk coming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad