Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Roy or Pesce are both great fits alongside Zellweger/Minty(with Gudas pairing with the other).

The problem is they might not want to sign up for 2 years of sucktitude in their primes at the beginning of their new contracts

Reactions: Hey234

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Roy or Pesce are both great fits alongside Zellweger/Minty(with Gudas pairing with the other).

The problem is they might not want to sign up for 2 years of sucktitude in their primes at the beginning of their new contracts
Ya, really the only reason they would sign here is if we offer more (possibly significantly more) than anyone else.

Reactions: AngelDuck

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Our gm brought in Vatrano and strome together his first free agency year( both players that were already familiar with each other via the rangers) last summer he brought in Gudas and killorn( 2 players also familiar with each other from the early Tampa years) this summer we sign pesce and trade for necas 2 players from the same team…

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't disagree with the sentiment, I just don't know if we have that spot for him. I think they'll want to keep Johnston or have another scrapper type as a 13/14F. Which probably means we need another depth F on the roster who can play C or W. I suspect they will sign Meyers for a dirt cheap rate to be that guy despite early opinions of his play.

I'd like to see some turnover in the depth group. Don't want to see all of these guys back and no room for some hungry additions.
I would think, based on Verbeek's comments, that he would be on board with the bolded. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't disagree with the sentiment, I just don't know if we have that spot for him. I think they'll want to keep Johnston or have another scrapper type as a 13/14F. Which probably means we need another depth F on the roster who can play C or W. I suspect they will sign Meyers for a dirt cheap rate to be that guy despite early opinions of his play.

I'd like to see some turnover in the depth group. Don't want to see all of these guys back and no room for some hungry additions.

The Bottom 6 could be very different next year. Groulx, Johnston, Silf, Lundy, Meyers, and Jones may all be gone. Maybe give Lundy one more year, since he didn’t have a full season this year.

The idea is to stack the Top 6 with skill…

Gauthier - Leo - Terry
Z - Mac - UFA/RFA Top 6 RW

Pushing Killorn, Vatrano, and Strome to a 3rd line. If those guys are on your 3rd line, then you have some nice depth. Maybe Vatrano or Killorn keeps a spot warm for Gauthier till he is ready for a Top 6 role.

4th line could have totally different players next season. Unless they are going to keep Lundy around to be the 4C. Would maybe even consider keeping Leason. The issue is not these guys, it’s them playing on a line or two above where they should be.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The Bottom 6 could be very different next year. Groulx, Johnston, Silf, Lundy, Meyers, and Jones may all be gone. Maybe give Lundy one more year, since he didn’t have a full season this year.

Gauthier - Leo - Terry

Pushing Killorn, Vatrano, and Strome to a 3rd line. If those guys are on your 3rd line, then you have some nice depth. Maybe Vatrano or Killorn keeps a spot warm for Gauthier till he is ready for a Top 6 role.

4th line could have totally different players next season. Unless they are going to keep Lundy around to be the 4C. Would maybe even consider keeping Leason. The issue is not these guys, it’s them playing on a line or two above where they should be.
Johnsotn isn’t going anywhere. Probably will become a player who dresses only when we play the big nasty teams. And that’s ok. We haven’t had any youngsters or any players for that matter, who have been taken advantage a the of this season. As we did the previous handful. Johnsotn and Gudas help that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Johnsotn isn’t going anywhere. Probably will become a player who dresses only when we play the big nasty teams. And that’s ok. We haven’t had any youngsters or any players for that matter, who have been taken advantage a the of this season. As we did the previous handful. Johnsotn and Gudas help that.

Johnston as the 13th forward is fine. It’s really more about constructing 3 scoring lines. We barely have one now.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Gauthier - Leo - Terry

Barring the ducks winning the draft and getting Celebrini, I think you keep Lundy around because he's versatile and a solid 3c or 4c option. Also, Vatrano is likely gone at some point in the next year so it is worth having another forward around. As Strome/Killorn age, they could end up on the 4th line.

I think at least 2 of Jones/Leason/Groulx are gone. Ort maybe they get signed for AHL. I don't see those guy as part of the ducks future.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Barring the ducks winning the draft and getting Celebrini, I think you keep Lundy around because he's versatile and a solid 3c or 4c option. Also, Vatrano is likely gone at some point in the next year so it is worth having another forward around. As Strome/Killorn age, they could end up on the 4th line.

I think at least 2 of Jones/Leason/Groulx are gone. Ort maybe they get signed for AHL. I don't see those guy as part of the ducks future.
I think verbeek needs to try and resign Vatrano this off season. If Vatrano wants to stick around for Silf money I am all for it.

Oct 18, 2011
Why do we need to have those roles filled next year? You aren't going to sign a #1C or #1D in this UFA class. And even if you could, it wouldnt be smart for the Ducks to do it. Carlsson is clearly the #1 C for the next 10 years. Why would we pull a Toronto and overpay for a center in UFA that will crush our cap situation for the next 7 years?

#1 D is another thing, but they arent available. The best thing they can do is sign a top 4 RHD like Pesce or Roy, which they should try to do.
So if those roles aren't filled why is this team going to be anything more than marginally better than it is now?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think verbeek needs to try and resign Vatrano this off season. If Vatrano wants to stick around for Silf money I am all for it.

Vatrano will be 31 next year when his contract expires. It would be gross negligence for Verbeek to give him a Silf contract, which was 5 x $5.25.

FWIW, Silf was 28 when his deal was signed and even at that age, it was a predictable the end of the contract would be rough.

I really like Vatrano, but 3 years is the most I'd give him. And you need to pay him like a 3rd line guy - not a first.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

A bigger problem is that the current Ducks GM seemingly has no interest in signing either of them. I find it kind of weird, given in the past how much weight was given to Verbeek’s often vague remarks, that people are mostly ignoring him blatantly talking about his goals for the summer.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A bigger problem is that the current Ducks GM seemingly has no interest in signing either of them. I find it kind of weird, given in the past how much weight was given to Verbeek’s often vague remarks, that people are mostly ignoring him blatantly talking about his goals for the summer.

There's still a lot of youth on the blueline to figure out.

If Z and Luneau are projected to be with the NHL club next season along with re-signing Vaaks and LaCombe, then the blue line doesn't have any room. PV is gonna have to make a trade or stash LaCombe in the AHL. I think if LaCombe has 9 NHL games left before he loses his waiver eligibility. (Source)

Scenario 1: no FA/trade
Fowler-Luneau​
Minty-Gudas​
Vaak-Zell​
(a veteran who doesn't mind sitting in the press box often or Lindstrom)​
to the AHL: LaCombe​
PK1: Fowler-Luneau (?) or Minty-Fowler​
PK2: Vaak-Gudas​

Scenario 2: Acquire a top-4 RD via FA/trade
Fowler-Luneau​
Minty-top-4 RD acquisition​
Vaak-Gudas​
to the AHL: LaCombe and Zell​
PK1: Fowler- top-4 RD acquisition​

Reactions: Ducksforcup
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
LaCombe ideally should be in the minors next season I would think.

Certainly seems like a move or two will be made on the blueline.
Doubt it will be anything major. It's been pointed out in this thread, PV talked about what he wanted to do over the summer, he said there were two things, top 6 scorer and a bottom 6 scorer, and the second one might be next year. Like HD said, if Zell and Luneau are here, then we're full up on D. PV mentioned he wanted some depth on D to keep from raiding San Diego, hence Lagesson, so if there's anything on D I imagine it'll be of the 7th/8th/9th D variety.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
There's still a lot of youth on the blueline to figure out.

If Z and Luneau are projected to be with the NHL club next season along with re-signing Vaaks and LaCombe, then the blue line doesn't have any room. PV is gonna have to make a trade or stash LaCombe in the AHL. I think if LaCombe has 9 NHL games left before he loses his waiver eligibility. (Source)

Scenario 1: no FA/trade
Fowler-Luneau​
Minty-Gudas​
Vaak-Zell​
to the AHL: LaCombe​
PK1: Fowler-Luneau (?) or Minty-Fowler​

Scenario 2: Acquire a top-4 RD via FA/trade
Fowler-Luneau​
Minty-top-4 RD acquisition​
Vaak-Gudas​
to the AHL: LaCombe and Zell​
PK1: Fowler- top-4 RD acquisition​
If fowler isn’t traded bought out, I would expect minty to take over his top pair lhd spot. Fowler can’t handle that kind of workload anymore.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If fowler isn’t traded bought out, I would expect minty to take over his top pair lhd spot. Fowler can’t handle that kind of workload anymore.

Actually, Fowler can handle the workload with respect to fatigue. We've seen how Gudas gets worn down with extra minutes per game. The problem is Fowler playing on the PK or even PK1. Playing on the PK are harder minutes than playing on the PP.

As for Minty as becoming 1LD, I think he's best served as 2LD for the next season. In Minty's last 20 games, he's a -11 rating as 2LD. There isn't a reason to rush things if we have stop gaps available for better development.

Reactions: Rybread86

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Actually, Fowler can handle the workload with respect to fatigue. We've seen how Gudas gets worn down with extra minutes per game. The problem is Fowler playing on the PK or even PK1. Playing on the PK are harder minutes than playing on the PP.

As for Minty as becoming 1LD, I think he's best served as 2LD for the next season. In Minty's last 20 games, he's a -11 rating as 2LD. There isn't a reason to rush things if we have stop gaps available for better development.
I never suggested Gudas moving to a top pair. Ideally fowler just isn’t on this team anymore past next season though.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006

Fowler needs to be play 3d 4d minutes.. Get him off the PP.. and give him Limited PK time.. Hes usless on the PP now.. All this shots get blocked and he can never hold the puck in..

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Fowler needs to be play 3d 4d minutes.. Get him off the PP.. and give him Limited PK time.. Hes usless on the PP now.. All this shots get blocked and he can never hold the puck in..
Literally one of the most productive defensemen on the PP in the league. I get if you think it doesn't pass the eye test, but stop acting like he is making the PP terrible or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad