Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
IMO the #1 free agency target should be a captain. Someone who can actually lead this team each game until one of the kids develops enough to take over.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Stamkos, if Verbeek and Killorn can get him to leave Tampa.
I just don’t think that’s Stamkos tbh, and I’m not sure he has that same hunger that we need.

He’s still a good player but he’s become a bit of a power play merchant, more than 50% of his points are on power play

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
IMO the #1 free agency target should be a captain. Someone who can actually lead this team each game until one of the kids develops enough to take over.
Ya but who is realistically available…. It’s unfortunate all of our old leaders left or retired before the young players could learn from them.

Gudas and killorn bring some leadership to the team and I think guys like mctavish zegras terry and gautheir can become good leaders…. But they def need that vet to learn from.

Maybe pavelski is an option /shrug

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ya but who is realistically available…. It’s unfortunate all of our old leaders left or retired before the young players could learn from them.

Gudas and killorn bring some leadership to the team and I think guys like mctavish zegras terry and gautheir can become good leaders…. But they def need that vet to learn from.

Why would Pavelski sign with the ducks? If he want to play on a bad team rather than chase a cup (which I highly doubt), he can go home to San Jose.

The emphasis on finding a captain is a bit silly IMO. Let one of the young guys earn it. But don't give it out just because of some weird notion that you have to. Killorn, Strom, Gudas and to a lesser extent McT and Terry are a sufficient leadership group.

And responding to your earlier posts, there are and will be far better options than Manson who at this point is just a bottom pairing d-man who doesn't really hit or fight as much as he used to. Ducks should swing big in free agency and if they whiff, then they can always find a player better than Manson who is a UFA or cap dump.

And personally, I wouldn't mind the ducks overpaying for Stamkos on a short term deal (which is not to say he'd be interested in the ducks for the same reason Pavelski woudn't be). If 50% of his points are on the power play, I'll take that. Anything to improve the PP is huge.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

Looking through the list of UFAs and the only two that jump out at me are Pears and Marchessault, aside from Stamkos

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Oct 18, 2011
My concern moving forward is look how bad this team is now. Verbeek is on record that next year we need to start getting better just seems like alot of holes to fill

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My concern moving forward is look how bad this team is now. Verbeek is on record that next year we need to start getting better just seems like alot of holes to fill
Realistically what are the holes?
Top4 rhd?
Top 6 goal scorer
Maybe a depth forward or 2 that can pk?

- 1 of the first 2 will likely be figured out at the draft(long term) so prob need more of a stop gap

Then prob assistant coaches

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Oct 18, 2011
Top4 rhd?
Top 6 goal scorer

- 1 of the first 2 will likely be figured out at the draft(long term) so prob need more of a stop gap

By league standard we currently have no number 1 D or C, probably not even a number 2 D, our 4th line isn't NHL caliber

Do we hope some young players grow into those roles? Yes but that doesn't mean they'll be ready for it next season

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Top4 rhd?
Top 6 goal scorer

Reinhart (28) and Guentzel (29) would fit the scoring-role but those two are probably going to demand quite the salary which might or might not be a good idea. Someone like Mantha or Turbo could fill that role as well, maybe even DeBrusk. Just got to hope Verbeek stays away from giving someone like Bertuzzi a 8x8m deal.

Then there is people like Skjei, Hanifin, Hronek, Pesce as pending D-man UFAs. Wouldnt be surprised to see PV throw money at one of them atleast.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Two years ago I wrote we should bring Forsberg, and I still think that would be good move. He is in his prime years and would do wonders for this young group.

Reactions: Rasp

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
By league standard we currently have no number 1 D or C, probably not even a number 2 D, our 4th line isn't NHL caliber

Do we hope some young players grow into those roles? Yes but that doesn't mean they'll be ready for it next season
Why do we need to have those roles filled next year? You aren't going to sign a #1C or #1D in this UFA class. And even if you could, it wouldnt be smart for the Ducks to do it. Carlsson is clearly the #1 C for the next 10 years. Why would we pull a Toronto and overpay for a center in UFA that will crush our cap situation for the next 7 years?

#1 D is another thing, but they arent available. The best thing they can do is sign a top 4 RHD like Pesce or Roy, which they should try to do.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why do we need to have those roles filled next year? You aren't going to sign a #1C or #1D in this UFA class. And even if you could, it wouldnt be smart for the Ducks to do it. Carlsson is clearly the #1 C for the next 10 years. Why would we pull a Toronto and overpay for a center in UFA that will crush our cap situation for the next 7 years?

#1 D is another thing, but they arent available. The best thing they can do is sign a top 4 RHD like Pesce or Roy, which they should try to do.
Ya 1c you prob comfortable that 1 of mctavish carlsson or zegras can become that, or if we win lottery celebrini

As far as 1d goes, Mintyukov or the pick from this year prob hopefully solve that issue, but picking up a solid guy like Roy or pesce should help minty move towards his potential.

I wouldn’t call 1c a need, as we have guys that should become that, 1d is prob a bigger question…. But I think Mintyukov will become that.

The big need is getting players to put around our Mintyukov/carlsson/mctavish/this years pick, to help meet their potentials .

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Some roster pieces are simply too rare to acquire and have to be drafted, like a 1D. I would target a good RW and a solid RHD and go from there.
Yep
-top 6 right shot (pref goal scorer)
-nhl rhd(pref top 4 at least, but really any fine)
Are top priority
- resign leason/regenda

- Trade gibson and mcginn
- Explore strome trade options
- find a 1b goalie (could be part of gibson trade)
- find vet/s to fill out bottom 6, that can kill penalties

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ya 1c you prob comfortable that 1 of mctavish carlsson or zegras can become that, or if we win lottery celebrini

As far as 1d goes, Mintyukov or the pick from this year prob hopefully solve that issue, but picking up a solid guy like Roy or pesce should help minty move towards his potential.

I wouldn’t call 1c a need, as we have guys that should become that, 1d is prob a bigger question…. But I think Mintyukov will become that.

The big need is getting players to put around our Mintyukov/carlsson/mctavish/this years pick, to help meet their potentials .
We realistically have 3 shots at a #1 C. All of them have the potential, but Carlsson is obviously the best shot.

Minty is the only one that has #1 D potential IMO so getting some more cracks at it, either in UFA, trade, or the 1st rounder this year would be nice. If Charlie McAvoy was 29 and a UFA I would 100% be on board with doing all we could to get him. Obviously that isn't happening though.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yep
-top 6 right shot (pref goal scorer)
-nhl rhd(pref top 4 at least, but really any fine)
Are top priority
- resign leason/regenda

- Trade gibson and mcginn
- Explore strome trade options
- find a 1b goalie (could be part of gibson trade)
- find vet/s to fill out bottom 6, that can kill penalties

I wonder if McGinn is a buyout candidate, should he return from IR to become eligible. The savings aren't much (2.75M x1 becomes 916,667 X2) and would be eaten up by his replacement. It would be more about freeing up a roster spot and just the general principle of not wanting to pay McGinn far more than he's worth.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We realistically have 3 shots at a #1 C. All of them have the potential, but Carlsson is obviously the best shot.

Minty is the only one that has #1 D potential IMO so getting some more cracks at it, either in UFA, trade, or the 1st rounder this year would be nice. If Charlie McAvoy was 29 and a UFA I would 100% be on board with doing all we could to get him. Obviously that isn't happening though.

Yea agreed on centers

-Minty is our best chance on defense
- if we get a dmen with our pick this year I imagine they have a shot

I also wouldn’t sleep on luneaus potential, wouldn’t be shocked if he becomes a top pairing dmen

I wonder if McGinn is a buyout candidate, should he return from IR to become eligible. The savings aren't much (2.75M x1 becomes 916,667 X2) and would be eaten up by his replacement. It would be more about freeing up a roster spot and just the general principle of not wanting to pay McGinn far more than he's worth.
Ya if we trade him, I imagine it’s with retention… or for a cap dump…. So maybe buyout is an option

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Not a fan of buying players out unless it’s absolutely necessary. McGinn can be 13th/14th forward for one more season.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
With the cap space the Ducks have, just keep him as a 13th forward if he's not the best option on the 4th line or send him to San Diego. He should be a good AHL player and the Gulls need more of those.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not a fan of buying players out unless it’s absolutely necessary. McGinn can be 13th/14th forward for one more season.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, I just don't know if we have that spot for him. I think they'll want to keep Johnston or have another scrapper type as a 13/14F. Which probably means we need another depth F on the roster who can play C or W. I suspect they will sign Meyers for a dirt cheap rate to be that guy despite early opinions of his play.

I'd like to see some turnover in the depth group. Don't want to see all of these guys back and no room for some hungry additions.

Last edited:

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014

I think Verbeek is going to try hard for a top 4 dman this offseason, as he should. This a massive gap on the NHL roster.

Our top-6 forward group next year should rebound a bit (hopefully) with better health, more experience, and the addition of Gauthier. But the D prospects are just too far away and really need an anchor.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think Verbeek is going to try hard for a top 4 dman this offseason, as he should. This a massive gap on the NHL roster.

Our top-6 forward group next year should rebound a bit (hopefully) with better health, more experience, and the addition of Gauthier. But the D prospects are just too far away and really need an anchor.
Not just healthy but a full training camp to built chemistry or see who has chemistry with each other. The defense is still going to be a question mark until some young guys take a massive step, but a top 4 RHD should get us out from bottom feeder team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Lots of talk about a top 6 forward add but I personally would be ok if we just consider Gauthier + healthy Zegras + further developed Carlsson our top 6 adds. Not that I’d be opposed to bringing in a top 6 forward but I wouldn’t do it out of necessity:

Next season:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Zegras
Vatrano-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Strome-XXX
XXX-Lundestrom-XXX

Fowler-XXX
Mintyukov-Gudas
Vaakanainen-Luneau
Zellweger/LaCombe

Gibson
Dostal

I personally think top 4 RHD is by the far the biggest hole on the roster and the one I would be most inclined to fill via spending significant dollars in free agency, preferably on as a short term deal as possible (no more than 3 seasons would be ideal). Tanev would probably be my first choice. I think I would rather spread the wealth around at forward and bring in some guys that can be relied upon to bring some scoring to the bottom 6, maybe a true middle 6 guy to go on the third line (either at wing or a C to push Strome to wing) and a couple bottom 6 guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad