Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That Hall trade just looks like the last time he signed in Buffalo. They're bringing in a shiny new toy to generate fan interest and then they'll trade him at the deadline for assets.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If the Avs trade Newhook to Montreal I bet Joel Armia is involved. He was linked to the Avs before and they are trying to get rid of him. He was a Bergevin guy and had a couple of rough seasons (played on the 4th line, etc).

He's signed for 2 more seasons at 3.4M per. If they are willing to retain a little I'm sure the Avs will be interested.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
If the Avs trade Newhook to Montreal I bet Joel Armia is involved. He was linked to the Avs before and they are trying to get rid of him. He was a Bergevin guy and had a couple of rough seasons (played on the 4th line, etc).

He's signed for 2 more seasons at 3.4M per. If they are willing to retain a little I'm sure the Avs will be interested.
Would rather just keep Newhook and resign JTC if this is the case.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

How much retention?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This was my first thought. Don't love it, but he is another CBus reject that Bednar coached.
Yeah I would hate it but some how I feel like the Avs would have interest in Anderson, mostly for those reasons you mentioned lol.

The issue would be cap. Anderson makes way too much and we cant afford that contract without sending money out or getting retention. And there's no way the Habs would retain on him for 4 more year... at least I dont think. Maybe they retain $1M or something considering by the time they're a playoff team again in ~2-3 years, the cap is likely in the $90M range and $1M is pretty inconsequential at that point.

I could see something around Girard and Anderson however... Where pieces are added on both sides to bridge the value and one of those pieces from the Avs is Newhook.

For example... Anderson($1M retained) + Florida 1st(#31) for Girard + Newhook. Certainly not saying I would like that trade, in fact I'd hate it because I think Anderson is overpaid even at $4.5M and overrated. But that's the kind of deal I could see being discussed if the Avs and Habs are talking.

By the way, Arpon did also mention today that the Habs are interested in bringing local talent(I take this as Quebec players) to the team but they aren't going to go out of there way to make something like that happen... Which is kind of where the Girard to Montreal continues to make some sense IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Armia's career high is 30 points. Newhook's put up 33 and 30, and he's cheaper, and younger.

The only reason to trade Newy is to upgrade the roster. Otherwise might as well keep him, and hope you can get 40 points for around $1-1.5M or so. That's a good production/cap hit ratio.

I suspect he'll probably be traded at some point, but they should pick the right deal, because they don't have many assets to use in trade the next couple years.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Armia's career high is 30 points. Newhook's put up 33 and 30, and he's cheaper, and younger.

The only reason to trade Newy is to upgrade the roster. Otherwise might as well keep him, and hope you can get 40 points for around $1-1.5M or so. That's a good production/cap hit ratio.

I suspect he'll probably be traded at some point, but they should pick the right deal, because they don't have many assets to use in trade the next couple years.
This is where I'm at. Ya can't just trade him to trade him

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To me, the argument can be made that Newhook’s highest remaining value is today. There will be some teams that will convince themselves he can work at their prior evaluation (top 6 guy). Give him another year or two and he doesn’t work, then the value plummets ala Jost. If he succeeds as a 2nd liner, his value might even be less with arbitration risk and money commitment coming.

Reactions: CaleMakaw

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Habs have a forward prospect who's an absolute puckhound. If the Avs were to take him and a 2nd, I wouldn't complain.

If Bednar is playing Nieto ahead of Newhook in the top 6 of playoff games, it's kind of get what you can while you can.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

To me it’s more about roster fit. Newhook isn’t taking anyone’s spot in the Top6 (provided Nuke actually returns). And he’s not a real good fit in the bottom 6. More and more it just seems like he’s not a fit on this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Elliotte adding Avs to any rumor

200w.gif

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly I respect you as a poster but I literally don't put even an ounce of value on anything you say about JTC.

I dont think I've ever seen someone hold as much of an irrational hatred for a player as you do with JTC.

It completely invalidates anything you say about him quite frankly.

I agree with him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad