Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
May as well start fresh now that our season is over.

Notable Pending UFAs:

Compher
Rodrigues
Helm
Cogliano
Eller
Nieto
Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Galchenyuk
Hudon

Avs Notable RFAs:

Byram
Newhook
Meyers
Malgin
Ranta
Maltsev
Merkley
Clurman
Annunen

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Oh God, I don't think I'm ready for endless discussions on which defenseman to axe and how our forward depth is awful (it kinda is, but no Landy and no Nuke really screwed with the team's depth).

I'll probably drop in on this thread around draft time (highest we can pick is 25th, but only if Vegas and Carolina lose).

Reactions: Chiarelli

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Really sad circumstances but last offseason almost every major resigning we made ended up as a big miss outside of I'd say Cogliano.

Manson, Helm- Too much money tied into players who can't play.
Nuke- Goes without saying

Manson scares me a bit. He's extremely injury prone and his game reflects that. Man this team misses Kadri. Big test for Cmac this offseason.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I do think I the type of wingers they need to target need to be similar to the Lehky, Landy and Nuke style guys. Players that play with pace, forecheck and can take the defensive load up the middle.

The combination of lack of offense and terrible defense from the bottom-9 killed the Avs chances. They could generate momentum and we’re almost guaranteed to drain it with a bad shift.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I do think I the type of wingers they need to target need to be similar to the Lehky, Landy and Nuke style guys. Players that play with pace, forecheck and can take the defensive load up the middle.

The combination of lack of offense and terrible defense from the bottom-9 killed the Avs chances. They could generate momentum and we’re almost guaranteed to drain it with a bad shift.
I don’t really agree, pending what they do at C this off-season. Those types were perfect because they complimented Mack and Kadri perfectly. But now Mack and Mikko quite literally the only forwards on this team who can create offense at a halfway consistent rate. The Avs could really use another Bura type who can just put the puck in the god damn net.

Reactions: The Moops

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They need play drivers beyond the top line. Landeskog and Nichushkin are that, but they are obviously question marks.

As for our UFA’s, I’d gladly give JJ a league min contract if he’s willing to take it. Other than that I don’t think I’d want anyone else back unless Compher wants to take a foolish hometown discount or Eller is willing to take under a million dollars to be our 4C. Neither of those things are happening though.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Next year will actually be very similar to this year :

1) World class defense group
2) World class top 5 forward
3) Stable goaltending situation (this is actually different vs the unknow that was Giorgiev last year)
4) Waste land at the bottom 6 forward position with no cap to do much about it - bargain bin hunting "à la Maple Leafs"
5) Glaring hole (not to confuse with Glory Hole) at the 2C position with no cap to fix it, until the trade deadline, if the team is able to bank space during the season.

A) They either try again the same recipe next year that they tried this year. Hoping for a different result.

B) You take more drastic actions to change the above dynamic. The most realistic option being to trade a defenseman, likely Toews or Girard. They're not touching Mac, Miko, Makar or Byram. Lando, and Nich are pretty much untradable. Pretty unlikely they do to Manson what they didn't with EJ for years.

Based on prior management style from Sakic and Mac, I say they go with rinse and repeat. No panic move.

Waiting for the tomatoes now...

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I would like to see these players back but the rest I don't think matter.

Cogliano
Jack Johnson
Byram
Meyers
Malgin
Maltsev
Merkley

Huge Cogs and JJ fan. They both have their purpose and are great in the playoffs in bottom pair and 4th line value. We could do much worse than either of them. Worried if Cogs though will hang it up after his latest injury since he has a cup.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Oh God, I don't think I'm ready for endless discussions on which defenseman to axe and how our forward depth is awful (it kinda is, but no Landy and no Nuke really screwed with the team's depth).

I'll probably drop in on this thread around draft time (highest we can pick is 25th, but only if Vegas and Carolina lose).
Relax.

This thread will be devoted to relitigating the Kemper trade and lamenting a late 1st wasn't used to dump EJ AND fill every forward hole at the deadline.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I'd say that Helm and Cogliano are done. Both Johnson's maybe come back at league min.

Compher, Rodrigues and Eller maybe one comes back depending on price.

Everyone else can go.

As for RFAs:

Byram is overrated but will be back.

Everyone else sucks balls.

Reactions: Chiarelli

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Relax.

This thread will be devoted to relitigating the Kemper trade and lamenting a late 1st wasn't used to dump EJ AND fill every forward hole at the deadline.
I personally am looking forward to thoughtful analysis free of rampant emotionalism. And a complete disregard to both the salary cap and the lack of fungible assets.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As for who should be brought back… I
imagine Meyers probably stays as he‘ll be cheap and while he had a rough year I think he was somewhat turning a corner to end the season.

Other than that I don’t really think there’s anyone who needs to come back. I think Kirivanta could be a decent cheap option. I don’t think know if he’d be cheap enough, but Blueger would be a really really good 4C next year as well.

Interested in what happens to the bottom 6 because realistically we need 4 or 5 new bottom 6’ers next season.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Really sad circumstances but last offseason almost every major resigning we made ended up as a big miss outside of I'd say Cogliano.

Manson, Helm- Too much money tied into players who can't play.
Nuke- Goes without saying

Manson scares me a bit. He's extremely injury prone and his game reflects that. Man this team misses Kadri. Big test for Cmac this offseason.

CMac at his finest. We’re definitely in good hands this off-season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm still amazed people think much changed besides some nameplates in the front office this season.

MacFarland is basically doing the same job he has done for years other than being the one whose actually calling GMs now.

All of those savvy moves people loved? MacFarland was in on those. All of the previous inaction at the TDL? He shares in that too. The aggressive all in TDL last year? Yup, you guessed it. And on and on we go.....

They're a tandem. For better or worse.

obZen

Jul 1, 2019
May as well start fresh now that our season is over.

Notable Pending UFAs:

Compher
Rodrigues
Helm
Cogliano
Eller
Nieto
Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Galchenyuk
Hudon

Avs Notable RFAs:

Byram
Newhook
Meyers
Malgin
Ranta
Maltsev
Merkley
Clurman
Annunen

I'd let all of our UFAs go except for maybe Eller, Rodrigues, and Compher if they can be had for the right price. I would keep all of our RFAs except for Newhook. Trade him for anything at all really.

landstuhltaylor

Feb 2, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by Eller in the playoffs, but I don't want him back unless he's on a cheap deal. Just getting up there in age. Compher I'd like to have back but not at what his open market value will likely be. Guy stepped up big time this year despite everyone making him into the whipping boy. Not his fault he just isn't that good. Would make an excellent 3rd liner again, just unlikely it would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad