2023-2024 Preseason

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Chelsea is probably the club in world football I think could experiment with 15 kids and find 5 very good ones.

The issue is that some of them aren’t going to be good and playing them in games that matter will cost you points. The ones that are good are still going to be like 20 years old and have some bad games that 27 year olds don’t, and might cost you the odd point here or there too.

So I think Chelsea could have a fun team to watch with these kids, but it’ll likely result in a team you should not trust. Results are a bonus for them this season. Earliest you can expect anything is a year from now, if things go well in the next year.

True solutions: Silva (short-term), Chilwell, James, Badiashile, Enzo

Unproven kids: Slonina, Colwill, Chalobah, Hall, Maatsen, Gusto, Santos, Gallagher, Chukwuemeka, Mudryk, Jackson, CHO, Moreira, Broja, Angelo

Wildcard: Nkunku (proven in a different league, but it’s “different” at Chelsea)

Other issues: Weak GK position, unproven midfielders, and unproven strikers.

They need to exit this season with like 7 players they view as long term starters, and then have a good next summer window to get back into top 4 contention. I don’t view them as a real top 4 contender this year. 24-25, we’ll see. They have work to do.
I think it's pretty clear that CHO and Chalobah aren't unproven kids but are proven non-solutions.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's pretty clear that CHO and Chalobah aren't unproven kids but are proven non-solutions.
They are still pretty young. I wouldn’t give up on them. CHO is only 60 days younger than Mudryk. They might not end up starters, but could have roles to play when Chelsea becomes a good team again.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What Chalobah is now is what he will always be. He is 24 years old and decent but not great. A 4/5 in the CB pecking order on a good team (although a huge step down from what we previously had there, worth emphasizing that Andreas Christensen was #4 under Tuchel). This is what he projected as at Cobham and it's what he's proven to be.

Hudson-Odoi, I truly don't know. He's really shown no improvement since 2019. Probably should've gone out on loan in 21-22. Then went on loan last year, but to Germany rather than to England, and was f***ing dire in Leverkusen. There might still be something there that could come out if he was given a key position on a lower table team, but he's basically a bust at this point in my opinion.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Barca vs Juventus has been canceled due to a viral infection in the Barca squad... Can't believe they can't cobble together a team deep enough to play a friendly.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think age should be the be all end all for comparisons. CHO’s been in and around top five league first teams for five years. Mudryk - five months.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
u6falsym9ldb1.jpg

Mix of youth and first team players today.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad