2023-2024 Preseason

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs lose 3-2. Looked fantastic on the ball but couldn't finish well enough. Work needs to be done off the ball.

Udogie, Sarr, Lo Celso, Bissouma, Emerson and Devine looked great.

Perisic, Sanchez, Reguilon and Tanganga are absolutely cooked.

Vicario looked rusty. Hope he improves.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Frankly, I don’t know how much you take away from that as a Tottenham supporter. That was Moyes-ball at its most dreadful. So sick of him and his “tactics”.

West Ham also mixed in more academy players from what I saw.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC beat Karlsruher 4-2. Stindl had an awesome goal. Trent played in midfield. Diogo scored two goals in stoppage. Gakpo kind of played as an 8. It was a weird game

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wrexham “fans” had a good showing in Chapel Hill but they played as poorly as the MLS all-stars, at least Arsenal played something close to the first team, Chelsea basically started their academy team

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Chelsea’s average age in the first half was 20.9. Ian Maatsen was MOTM, Cesare Casadei was apparently brilliant, and Nico Jackson too. Heard a bunch of youngsters stated their case very strongly.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Chelsea’s average age in the first half was 20.9. Ian Maatsen was MOTM, Cesare Casadei was apparently brilliant, and Nico Jackson too. Heard a bunch of youngsters stated their case very strongly.
Can you really “state your case” against Wrexham?

Maatsen looks talented, but pretty telling they had to put him at LW to work around their £50M+ LB signings. West Ham was linked and I know Maatsen put on the normal spiel about “fighting for his place”, but how is this kid really going to play. These guys are deluded - Broja did the same thing last season and dollars to donuts he doesn’t play this year healthy or not either.

Two big money guys ahead, even if Cucurella looked bad. And that’s without even mentioning Hall, another guy who isn’t even a LB that had a leg up on him in the position.

Reactions: S E P H

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Can you really “state your case” against Wrexham?

Maatsen looks talented, but pretty telling they had to put him at LW to work around their £50M+ LB signings. West Ham was linked and I know Maatsen put on the normal spiel about “fighting for his place”, but how is this kid really going to play. These guys are deluded - Broja did the same thing last season and dollars to donuts he doesn’t play this year healthy or not either.

Two big money guys ahead, even if Cucurella looked bad. And that’s without even mentioning Hall, another guy who isn’t even a LB that had a leg up on him in the position.
A bunch of 19 year olds with no first-team experience dominating a team of pros is stating case, either way you slice IMO.

Maatsen will leave if the price is right, but I think Poch would rather ditch Cucu and go with Maatsen if it were up to him. There is a weird logjam in that position, but I think Maatsen will find minutes. Lewis Hall usurped Cucurella as the #2 last year and started 8 matches. Maatsen is a better LB than Lewis Hall, who is not a LB.

Hall's minutes will come in MF.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
A bunch of 19 year olds with no first-team experience dominating a team of pros is stating case, either way you slice IMO.

Maatsen will leave if the price is right, but I think Poch would rather ditch Cucu and go with Maatsen if it were up to him. There is a weird logjam in that position, but I think Maatsen will find minutes. Lewis Hall usurped Cucurella as the #2 last year and started 8 matches. Maatsen is a better LB than Lewis Hall, who is not a LB.

Hall's minutes will come in MF.
Hall is getting minutes in midfield over who? You've already got Enzo nailed on and you're still after Caicedo. After that there's Gallagher, Chukwumeka, Casadei, Santos (pretty sure I remember you guys saying he wouldn't be loaned).

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
19 year olds get loaned to leagues better than League Two all the time. I don't think it's really stating case IMO
I'm not saying "Chelsea are winning the title because we battered a League Two team," I'm just saying that a composed and dominating performance with basically no vets on the field is a good sign for these guys to get a look-in.

Hall is getting minutes in midfield over who? You've already got Enzo nailed on and you're still after Caicedo. After that there's Gallagher, Chukwumeka, Casadei, Santos (pretty sure I remember you guys saying he wouldn't be loaned).
Casadei will likely be loaned. Santos stays. Chukwu and Hall are of similar quality. I am not worried about Hall getting minutes.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm not saying "Chelsea are winning the title because we battered a League Two team," I'm just saying that a composed and dominating performance with basically no vets on the field is a good sign for these guys to get a look-in.

Casadei will likely be loaned. Santos stays. Chukwu and Hall are of similar quality. I am not worried about Hall getting minutes.
We'll see. All I'm saying is we hear this stuff all the time and more often than not when the dust settles, most of these kids end up right where they started. I recognize at least in Hall's case he already got a taste last season, but breaking in as a regular rotational player is something different.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
We'll see. All I'm saying is we hear this stuff all the time and more often than not when the dust settles, most of these kids end up right where they started.
Hall started 8 times last year in a squad of 40,000 players. If anything, our squad is now too thin (except at LB, lol). Every spot in the midfield besides Enzo's is up for grabs.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Would have loved to see Nunez with that shot but instead passes it to no one...
Wouldn't be shocked to see comparable missed goal numbers to last year...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chelsea is probably the club in world football I think could experiment with 15 kids and find 5 very good ones.

The issue is that some of them aren’t going to be good and playing them in games that matter will cost you points. The ones that are good are still going to be like 20 years old and have some bad games that 27 year olds don’t, and might cost you the odd point here or there too.

So I think Chelsea could have a fun team to watch with these kids, but it’ll likely result in a team you should not trust. Results are a bonus for them this season. Earliest you can expect anything is a year from now, if things go well in the next year.

True solutions: Silva (short-term), Chilwell, James, Badiashile, Enzo

Unproven kids: Slonina, Colwill, Chalobah, Hall, Maatsen, Gusto, Santos, Gallagher, Chukwuemeka, Mudryk, Jackson, CHO, Moreira, Broja, Angelo

Wildcard: Nkunku (proven in a different league, but it’s “different” at Chelsea)

Other issues: Weak GK position, unproven midfielders, and unproven strikers.

They need to exit this season with like 7 players they view as long term starters, and then have a good next summer window to get back into top 4 contention. I don’t view them as a real top 4 contender this year. 24-25, we’ll see. They have work to do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad