Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think what a lot of people - myself included - have disliked since Bednar took over this team is how he seems to neuter physicality.

I can't say his method doesn't get results because it does, and I believe he doesn't like his players trying to play overly physical because his system demands skating, skating, skating, and physicality takes a toll and wears you down.

However, in games like the one in Edmonton sometimes you just have to say f*** the system and turn players like Colton, Wood, Trenin, Duhaime, and Manson loose.

Look at how physical Colton was playing early in the season vs how he looks now. Night and day. Look at how physical Trenin was in Nashville vs here, again night and day.

But as I say all of that I understand his system preaches reservation on physicality so you can check the puck and get it back. I get it. I just wish sometimes in games the Avs are clearly down he would let loose.
Bednar's not the only one. What the Jacques Cloutier did to Darius Kasparaitis is illegal in 192 countries as well as Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, US Minor Outlying Islands, Guam, America Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think what a lot of people - myself included - have disliked since Bednar took over this team is how he seems to neuter physicality.

I can't say his method doesn't get results because it does, and I believe he doesn't like his players trying to play overly physical because his system demands skating, skating, skating, and physicality takes a toll and wears you down.

However, in games like the one in Edmonton sometimes you just have to say f*** the system and turn players like Colton, Wood, Trenin, Duhaime, and Manson loose.

Look at how physical Colton was playing early in the season vs how he looks now. Night and day. Look at how physical Trenin was in Nashville vs here, again night and day.

But as I say all of that I understand his system preaches reservation on physicality so you can check the puck and get it back. I get it. I just wish sometimes in games the Avs are clearly down he would let loose.
I think there should be a middle ground between how Bednar operates when things like that happen and he seems to calm the boys down so they don't do anything stupid and get themselves suspended and what I WOULD DO, if I was coaching the team and that is :

"Knock the beard OFF of his face, make sure he leaves the ice on a stretcher".

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I think there should be a middle ground between how Bednar operates when things like that happen and he seems to calm the boys down so they don't do anything stupid and get themselves suspended and what I WOULD DO, if I was coaching the team and that is :

"Knock the beard OFF of his face, make sure he leaves the ice on a stretcher".

Where does "break his F'in leg!" fit on your paradigm?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Yeah its one of the few issues I have with Bednar. He did the same thing to Zadorov and MacDermid. I'm glad he doesn't want to goon it up but in some instances (The Oilers game) you just gotta let the guys loose and play physical. Not go out and try to injure guys mind you, but finish your checks.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
A little surprised it’s an optional practice, considering the team has been shit

This teams mistakes have been from fatigue, mostly, not from not knowing schemes or where to be.

Some of it is lack of effort too, not letting them completely off the hook.

More practice is not the answer. It is just not the way it used to be.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good news that Mikko seems close. Sounds like Friedman did have a good source to the Avs.

I like that they're playing it safe too. Give him the rest of the regular season off if need be.

Reactions: The Moops

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

I really hate how disingenuous this organization is with its fans sometimes. Like they really think we're that dumb and non-observant. There is video of Kovalenko skating, and skating pretty hard from just a few days ago. To say he hasn't been on the ice in 4 1/2 weeks is ridiculous, and simply untrue. And Bednar says on Sunday that he has no idea how Koval is doing, that he isn't with them, and is with the Eagles, when he is literally there in Denver, skating at their facility, with their skills coach, and the Eagles are on a road trip.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge the truth and give a straight answer? A simple, "Yes, he's here. He's been skating with our skills coach. He's not quite ready, and we aren't sure when he will be. Hopefully, he can play before the end of the season," is better than just lying about it.

Stupid.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I really hate how disingenuous this organization is with its fans sometimes. Like they really think we're that dumb and non-observant. There is video of Kovalenko skating, and skating pretty hard from just a few days ago. To say he hasn't been on the ice in 4 1/2 weeks is ridiculous, and simply untrue. And Bednar says on Sunday that he has no idea how Koval is doing, that he isn't with them, and is with the Eagles, when he is literally there in Denver, skating at their facility, with their skills coach, and the Eagles are on a road trip.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge the truth and give a straight answer? A simple, "Yes, he's here. He's been skating with our skills coach. He's not quite ready, and we aren't sure when he will be. Hopefully, he can play before the end of the season," is better than just lying about it.

Stupid.

I don’t disagree at all, but I think Bednar has complete tunnel vision sometimes.

Kovalenko isn’t even on his radar until he’s able to play games.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
4-6 weeks is a pretty common recovery for a MCL injury (I'd say odds are high this was his knee sprain)... 6 would have him right at the start of the playoffs. Though starting and being with the Eagles makes more sense. People have put way too much hype on him to be a huge difference maker when he's not really that guy.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
4-6 weeks is a pretty common recovery for a MCL injury (I'd say odds are high this was his knee sprain)... 6 would have him right at the start of the playoffs. Though starting and being with the Eagles makes more sense. People have put way too much hype on him to be a huge difference maker when he's not really that guy.

I don’t think it’s even that for me, it’s more about min-maxing your roster.

If you can get him in over guys like Foudy and Kivi, it’s a plus upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad