Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Is it really though?

I believe so, yeah.

If people are expecting him to be a big upgrade on a Miles Wood than I think that’s setting up for disappointment. But Foudy shouldn’t be on a NHL roster, I definitely think Kovalenko can give more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I believe so, yeah.

If people are expecting him to be a big upgrade on a Miles Wood than I think that’s setting up for disappointment. But Foudy shouldn’t be on a NHL roster, I definitely think Kovalenko can give more.
I don’t see a dramatic difference right now between him and Foudy… different skill sets, but actual quality not huge. Even Kiviranta. There is always an adjustment to the style of game and then you have him recovering from injury and inserting him into the most physical time of the year against the best teams. In theory Kovalenko should give more than Kiviranta, but there isn’t any adjustment time available and not in game shape either.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t see a dramatic difference right now between him and Foudy… different skill sets, but actual quality not huge. Even Kiviranta. There is always an adjustment to the style of game and then you have him recovering from injury and inserting him into the most physical time of the year against the best teams. In theory Kovalenko should give more than Kiviranta, but there isn’t any adjustment time available and not in game shape either.

I think I’m a little higher on him than you are right now.

My low-end expectation is a 4th liner and high-end expectation is a 3rd liner. Foudy’s an AHL’er, Kivi is better than Foudy, but still falls below where I have Kovalenko as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think I’m a little higher on him than you are right now.

My low-end expectation is a 4th liner and high-end expectation is a 3rd liner. Foudy’s an AHL’er, Kivi is better than Foudy, but still falls below where I have Kovalenko.
I'm sure you are. I just don't see a guy who is a make sure to fit him in sort of guy. I think Foudy has a better skill set than any of them. I'm not sure if it fully translates as it could round into a tweener who isn't physical or skilled enough... to find a role. But both on the top line of an AHL team, I'd expect Foudy to be the superior player to any of them. Kiviranta is the superior 4th liner to Foudy as the skill set is just better for it. Kovalenko has that advantage over Foudy for a 4th line role too.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I'm sure you are. I just don't see a guy who is a make sure to fit him in sort of guy. I think Foudy has a better skill set than any of them. I'm not sure if it fully translates as it could round into a tweener who isn't physical or skilled enough... to find a role. But both on the top line of an AHL team, I'd expect Foudy to be the superior player to any of them. Kiviranta is the superior 4th liner to Foudy as the skill set is just better for it. Kovalenko has that advantage over Foudy for a 4th line role too.

Foudy’s only 21 so maybe he’s got some upside, but I’m talking right now and Foudy’s been awful anytime I’ve seen him in the Avs lineup.

Kivi can play on a 4th line, but there’s 0 upside.

I don’t think it matters, which of these guys can do more for an AHL team, it’s about impacting the bottom-6 of the big club. I think Kovalenko is smarter than those guys and plays a tougher game than Foudy.

It’s not like I’m expecting a top-6 forward, or even a lock 3rd liner. But, it’s not like the competition is that strong when we’re talking about Foudy and Kiviranta.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
They could still throw Kovalenko right in a playoff game, didn't they play Sampo Ranta for two games in the playoffs right away?
They did this with Makar in game 3 of the playoffs vs Calgary. If Landy is ready at some point, he will jump into the lineup after not having played in nearly 2 years. The argument that they are "running out of time" with Kovalenko is dumb. If he can play, he can play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kovalenko hasn't played a game yet. There's not much to base a comparison on.

He plays a much more NHL style than Foudy too, and even more so an NHL playoff style.

I'd like to see him in a game first, and the knee injury is a concern, but he'd have to basically not look NHL ready at all, for him to not be an upgrade on Foudy IMO, because Foudy hasn't shown he's an NHLer yet either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Foudy’s only 21 so maybe he’s got some upside, but I’m talking right now and Foudy’s been awful anytime I’ve seen him in the Avs lineup.

Kivi can play on a 4th line, but there’s 0 upside.

I don’t think it matters, which of these guys can do more for an AHL team, it’s about impacting the bottom-6 of the big club. I think Kovalenko is smarter than those guys and plays a tougher game than Foudy.

It’s not like I’m expecting a top-6 forward, or even a lock 3rd liner. But, it’s not like the competition is that strong when we’re talking about Foudy and Kiviranta.
In realistic terms, we aren't staring down Kiviranta or Foudy playing much, if any, in the playoffs anyway. Foudy is already not playing. Kiviranta played because Rants and Wood were out (I think he's at 2 games in the past month). Both are likely to be in the lineup for the playoffs... and then we have the Landy situation. To get Kovalenko in, we are looking at taking out Duhaime or Trenin... not Kiviranta. If it comes down to one of Foudy, Kiviranta, or Kovalenko playing... it honestly makes most sent to play Kiviranta who knows the system and his role. And has PK'd in the system. I see very little upside in Kovalenko getting those minutes. Yeah there is magical upside, but they Avs don't really need that for the 4th line. They need steady.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
In realistic terms, we aren't staring down Kiviranta or Foudy playing much, if any, in the playoffs anyway. Foudy is already not playing. Kiviranta played because Rants and Wood were out (I think he's at 2 games in the past month). Both are likely to be in the lineup for the playoffs... and then we have the Landy situation. To get Kovalenko in, we are looking at taking out Duhaime or Trenin... not Kiviranta. If it comes down to one of Foudy, Kiviranta, or Kovalenko playing... it honestly makes most sent to play Kiviranta who knows the system and his role. And has PK'd in the system. I see very little upside in Kovalenko getting those minutes. Yeah there is magical upside, but they Avs don't really need that for the 4th line. They need steady.

I don’t think it’s magical upside. Kovalenko profiles as having more offence to his game than Kiviranta.

Duhaime and Trenin aren’t coming out for anyone. I really doubt Cogs, or Parise would come out of the lineup for Kovalenko, but they’d go out before Duhaime and Trenin. Bednar won’t want to lose the size in the bottom-6.

Parise has been slipping for a while. I would be considering putting Kovalenko in for him, if he doesn’t get back to the way played early on for Colorado.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t think it’s magical upside. Kovalenko profiles as having more offence to his game than Kiviranta.

Duhaime and Trenin aren’t coming out for anyone. I really doubt Cogs, or Parise would come out of the lineup for Kovalenko, but they’d go out before Duhaime and Trenin. Bednar won’t want to lose the size in the bottom-6.

Parise has been slipping for a while. I would be considering putting Kovalenko in for him, if he doesn’t get back to the way played early on for Colorado.
IMO offense is one of the areas that people have massively overrated Kovalenko. He really should have more offense than Kiviranta who is a black hole, but Kiviranta is solid defensively and plays physical. In a game where that spot plays 5 minutes, you don't really care if Kovalenko would outscore Kiviranta... you care about what Kovalenko would give up compared to Kiviranta. Kiviranta just isn't going to give up much... the only regular forwards who have been here prior to Feb who have given up a lower rate are Cogliano and LOC. The reward of maybe one extra goal in two series is just not balanced against the risk of what he'd give up.

I know people hate it when I bring it up... but the KHL absolutely sucks right now. Guys like Eric O'Dell and Taylor Beck are high end KHL players... and neither one would sniff a NHL roster. Extrapolating NHL offensive ability from good (though not great) KHL numbers is misleading to me. His skill set doesn't scream like there is a ton of offense there. I hope to be wrong, but even expecting 30-35 points is probably high.

Parise is a significantly better player even with his limitations.

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I really hate how disingenuous this organization is with its fans sometimes. Like they really think we're that dumb and non-observant. There is video of Kovalenko skating, and skating pretty hard from just a few days ago. To say he hasn't been on the ice in 4 1/2 weeks is ridiculous, and simply untrue. And Bednar says on Sunday that he has no idea how Koval is doing, that he isn't with them, and is with the Eagles, when he is literally there in Denver, skating at their facility, with their skills coach, and the Eagles are on a road trip.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge the truth and give a straight answer? A simple, "Yes, he's here. He's been skating with our skills coach. He's not quite ready, and we aren't sure when he will be. Hopefully, he can play before the end of the season," is better than just lying about it.

Stupid.
Yes it would have been better. I think Bednar was not in the mood to discuss so he took the easy way out. Technically, Kovy is on the Eagles roster and he's not fit to play. Also, I think that Kovy is not top of mind for Bedsy.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

Rantanen, anytime he sees a fellow Finn:

1712856058255.gif

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Play it safe with Mikko. Hold him out this weekend then play him against Edmonton next week so he has one post-concussion tune up game.

From what they’ve talked about he hasn’t had any symptoms at all, past what was seen on the ice.

I think this has been them being very cautious. It’s just standard procedure, with him taking steps through the protocol. The next game will be 8 days since the hit. I’m guessing to clear protocol is 7 days, so no symptoms I’m sure he’ll play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad