Prospect Info: [2023 - 165th] Filip Eriksson (Allsvenskan - Nybro Vikings IF)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
18 pts in 16 games in the second division in Sweden. In his D+1 season, Noah Ostlund played exclusively in the second division and had 26 pts in 37 games. This year, in his D+2 season, Ostlund has 18 pts in 30 games with Vaxjoe (Eriksson’s team) in the SHL. If Filip can match those numbers in his D+2 we will have ourselves a steal for a 7th round pick.

I think he's already showing great returns for a 6th round pick - but I agree, if he can get regular SHL shifts with the production to match next year, when do we start looking at him as a legitimate top prospect?

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I think he's already showing great returns for a 6th round pick - but I agree, if he can get regular SHL shifts with the production to match next year, when do we start looking at him as a legitimate top prospect?
I did mean 6th not 7th. But yes, if the production is there in his D+2 in the SHL I think he has to skyrocket in our depth chart

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Is this kid a legit prospect or a Norlinder/Nygren 2.0 type of player?

The scouting report from within the organization according to Arpon Basu is that he's a very long term project. He's not very physical whatsoever, he engages purely with stick work and is a very slight frame right now. He needs to add weight and muscle and grow into his frame while he works significantly on his play without the puck.

It's unlikely he develops the unreal skill needed to play a pure skill game so he'll need to put in significant work everywhere else to make it at higher levels. Next year they expect he'll see substantial ice time in the SHL so let's see how that goes but he's already a decent late round dart throw.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The scouting report from within the organization according to Arpon Basu is that he's a very long term project. He's not very physical whatsoever, he engages purely with stick work and is a very slight frame right now. He needs to add weight and muscle and grow into his frame while he works significantly on his play without the puck.

It's unlikely he develops the unreal skill needed to play a pure skill game so he'll need to put in significant work everywhere else to make it at higher levels. Next year they expect he'll see substantial ice time in the SHL so let's see how that goes but he's already a decent late round dart throw.

Honestly that's a scouting report for Jesper Bratt.. and Eriksson is outproducing him at the same age.

It's more, let's not get carried away, which is fair, but the production and smarts are hard to ignore and they did say that he is a late bloomer in the eyes of Sweden Hockey.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's destroying what Lekkerimaki was able to produce in the same league, at the same age last year. Crazy stats..

Lekkerimaki was 18 last year. He was drafted at 17, he turned 18 a few weeks after he was selected by Vancouver, so his season in Allsvenskan last year was as an 18 year old.

Eriksson is 19. That doesn't take away from what Eriksson has been able to do in Allsvenskan. He's 3rd in PPG in the league. He also played 29 games in the SHL, as well as 9 Champions League games. So he's having a good season and nice to see that from a 6th round pick.

For me, the next step is for him to be a mainstay in the SHL next year and hopefully produce at that level.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Honestly that's a scouting report for Jesper Bratt.. and Eriksson is outproducing him at the same age.

It's more, let's not get carried away, which is fair, but the production and smarts are hard to ignore and they did say that he is a late bloomer in the eyes of Sweden Hockey.

Yeah I agree, and not just Jesper Bratt there's lots of players that fit that description. That kind of scouting report is just so broad it fits a lot of skill-first non-physical players.

The reality is that the threshold for skill in the NHL is just outrageously high with a very limited number of top 6 spots. Most players will have to bring more than just skill to play on a roster, not just Eriksson or Bratt or whoever else. The players who do make it based on pure skill like a Zegras type are so unreal in their skill level it's not easily matched. I hate that kind of player anyways tbh so I hope they round the kid out over the next few years and then send him on over.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

Riley Kidney 2.0?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nominated for the golden bucket or something. Think it goes to the best rookie in the Allsvenskan

Jacob Olofsson won that at 17 and Norlinder at 19 in a similar situation to Eriksson as he missed almost half the season to injuries. Though in Norlinder's case he ended the previous season in Allsvenskan after putting up big numbers in the J20 whereas Eriksson missed most of the year but managed to get in 2 SHL games and was almost ppg in the J-20 in 11 gms.

What's crazy is that the previous season he was at the level below the top J-20 in the 2nd league, I don't recall ever seeing the Habs draft a kid that played in that league at 17 or older though I don't know that league at all so I don't know how common it would be to jump from the J-20 II at 17 to the J-20 at 18 where he put up impressive #'s but small sample size. Interesting kid, now that we have a good Swedish scout I'm certainly interested to see what he can do next season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Tommy Lehmann has been the Habs' amateur sccout in Sweden since the 2018-19 season.

Swedish players Habs have selected since:
1 - Norlinder (2019 3rd round)
2 - Engstrom (2022 3rd round)
3 - Eriksson (2023 6th round)

They also acquired Heineman in a trade while he was playing in the SHL. So it's reasonable to believe Lehmann was consulted on the player.

Norlinder hasn't panned out as expected.
Heineman doing well in Laval and has NHL potential.
Same with Engstrom.
Eriksson is having a good season in his D+1 year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Tommy Lehmann has been the Habs' amateur sccout in Sweden since the 2018-19 season.

Swedish players Habs have selected since:
1 - Norlinder (2019 3rd round)
2 - Engstrom (2022 3rd round)
3 - Eriksson (2023 6th round)

They also acquired Heineman in a trade while he was playing in the SHL. So it's reasonable to believe Lehmann was consulted on the player.

Norlinder hasn't panned out as expected.
Heineman doing well in Laval and has NHL potential.
Same with Engstrom.
Eriksson is having a good season in his D+1 year.

These were all great selections relative to their draft position. Norlinder hasn't panned out but he was a consensus steal for the first few years and considering that typically only 25% of players taken in the 3rd round will ever even reach 100 career NHL careers the fact that he was highly regarded post draft and has even appeared in NHL games would signal that he was still a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad