Pre-Game Talk: 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ding ding. This seems like the obvious question to be asked of the organizers.

Folks wondering why the NHL can continue while this tournament is cancelled are kind of missing the point imo. This is a tournament involving amateurs, and for the most part minors.
The NHL is a league of millionaire adults who have a very powerful union that allows them to make their own decisions about life. If anything, the protocols should have been more stringent for this short tournament than they are for the NHL. There have been many cases of healthy people who have taken all the shots and still ended up in hospital or tragically passed away. How is the IIHF supposed to explain even one incident like that to the parents of these kids? They did the wrong thing by not bolting down the protocols for this event, but the absolute right thing in cancelling it. It’s a shame they didn’t take it more seriously.

Wrong. This is a 2 week tournament and it cannot stand postponements of any kind. The NHL schedule is 6 months long and there is lots of time to squeeze postponed games in down the road.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Way to put $ over sport when most of these kids basically play for free. f***ing shameful.

Would not surprise me. Just haven’t seen anything reported on this. I got a survey asking about why I cancelled my Loge tix for every game. Looks like they are laying the groundwork for a lawsuit or something, perhaps against the Alberta government.

It's scare tactics. Media driven fear which has been going for almost 2 years now. A big reason why I cut the news out of my life for the most part since this whole thing started.

The whole point of the restrictions in the first place was to relieve the strain on the healthcare system so what's the point of restrictions if hospitalizations are fairly low. I get that it's a preventive measure just in case they do fill up but if they do their research on places that got hit first like South Africa and the U.K., they'll see that hospitalizations didn't significantly rise despite an explosion of cases in places that are far more densely populated.

The only issue for me, and probably most people, is timely access to hospitals, surgeries, etc. It’s really the only thing I keep my eye on.

Hospitalizations are falling as cases rise

This is on them, they should have some kind of repercussion. Policy at the moment is excessive to say the least.

Am I the only one that remembers the beginning of this Pandemic? Anyone familiar with the term moving the goal posts or changing the narrative.

Hospitalisations were not the concern. It started out with ICU beds and ventilators for severe outcomes. The rising natural and vaccine protection rates are eliminating concerns for severe outcomes/deaths so the narrative is changing from ICU beds and ventilators to hospitalisations. While high hospitalisations are always a bit of a concern its not the same.

The current policies are basically aimed at stopping people from getting the sniffles or a standard flu. Say what you will up to this point but at this exact moment there is just not enough data to support the mass fear mongering and extreme policies being tossed around with impunity.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
This is on them, they should have some kind of repercussion. Policy at the moment is excessive to say the least.

Am I the only one that remembers the beginning of this Pandemic? Anyone familiar with the term moving the goal posts or changing the narrative.

Hospitalisations were not the concern. It started out with ICU beds and ventilators for severe outcomes. The rising natural and vaccine protection rates are eliminating concerns for severe outcomes so the narrative is changing from ICU beds and ventilators to hospitalisations. While high hospitalisations are always a bit of a concern its not the same.

The current policies are basically aimed at stopping people from getting the sniffles or a standard flu. Say what you will up to this point but at this exact moment there is to enough data to support the mass fear mongering and extreme policies being tossed around with impunity.
Yes. Sounds like the man is attempting to dupe the unwashed

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ah f*** them. Bobby Marguerita was hocking his shitty premix marguerita the entire time, Jeff O Neil is a Leaf windbag, the rest carry water for the Leafs and think the network exists only to cater to Leaf fans.
I think I am clear on your TSN views.. what about Sportsnet?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Tale as old as time! Sure, Caggiula may not be great.. maybe time to go. However, we lose value on most trades and signings... death by a 1000 cuts.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
He forgot the part that the Oil organized part of this (the hotel part). Nicholson ruins everything I enjoy!

And, you didn't reply to how pro and junior teams stay at no bubble hotels and motels but WJC players need that. Don't be an IIHF apologist. It's 100% at their feet for their massive overreaction. Don't look for guilt by association.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
He forgot the part that the Oil organized part of this (the hotel part). Nicholson ruins everything I enjoy!

He also forgot that Bob Nicholson is currently the VP of IIHF (in charge of the America's).

There's one guy who f***ed this up and it's the guy who usually f***s up lol

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And, you didn't reply to how pro and junior teams stay at no bubble hotels and motels but WJC players need that. Don't be an IIHF apologist. It's 100% at their feet for their massive overreaction. Don't look for guilt by association.

Sorry, first time I've seen that question.. did you ask me or did someone else?

Pro and Junior teams stay at the hotel for 1 or 2 nights. A World Jr team stays there for at least 7 days (Czech) or 10 (Canada).

I don't like the IIHF but the hotels were run by the Oilers (I posted that somewhere here).

They cancelled the women's U18 and Spengler (which isn't IIHF, NHL or Oilers) for these reasons. The only way Jr's would've worked was in the same bubble as Playoffs a few years ago, last years Juniors or last years womens worlds which all went exceedingly well.

Also, by pro I assume you mean NHL - well that didn't work out, did it? How many AHLer's are in the league right now, taxi squads are back, pro on pro olympics shelved and most nights there are as many games postponed as there are played. No Buchnevic, JP or Nurse last night. So I'm not calling no bubbles for the pros successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad