Pre-Game Talk: 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Great point. What was the chance that there would not be an outbreak when you are talking about hundreds of players, organizers, staff etc and no isolation?

You didn't need to be Nostradamus to see that it was virtually guaranteed that there would be an outbreak of some kind. So what was the plan--apart from cancellation. Were there no other options?
Exactly - the chances of four or five positive cases were likely 99.99995 %

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
As I continue reading this thread I am shocked to hear that there were other events going on at the hotel(s) and no isolation--what could you possibly expect?
Yes and especially with Omicron seeming to be much more fast-moving than the previous forms. Just let the young dudes mingle with the wedding guests and the puck-bunnies and assume nothing will happen - pathetic!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Please don’t hold it here. Black cloud around the tourney two straight years, don’t go for the hat trick here.

I'm sure the provincial government will do their best to pull out a useless 11th hour regulation to f*** it all up anyways.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Apr 29, 2017
No doubt, I just assumed it was some sort of bubble with that kind of protocol.

You would have thought that would have been the case. Regardless, given the ridiculous IIHF protocols combined with the transmissibility of this variant, the tournament was doomed. Red Deer seems to be portrayed as the goat regarding the mixing of hockey types with the general population, but what was going on in Edmonton?

Reactions: Biltmore

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I would suspect, depending on whether they did multiple tests each day using different test lots/brands, that there could have been that many faulty tests even.

Good point, I forgot about this. The most common number that seems to come is that 4% of the PCR tests are false positives. Obviously antigen tests are even more unreliable (though I don't remember the estimate about their false positives). If the number was 1% that would mean there's a false positive in every three teams they test. Doesn't seem like they thought about this too much either.

Reactions: oilers'72

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Because they knew it was going to get a whole lot worse with players sharing hotels with the general public as opposed to having a hotel to themselves to properly isolate in between games.

I think you misunderstand what I meant.

If 4 cases was the line, why did the IIHF go through with the tournament?

There was no point in starting if 4 cases was the stumbling block.

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
What I don't understand is that pro and junior teams stay at hotels and motels that aren't isolated from other guests? Blaming the Oilers for this is utterly stupid. The IIHF (and I know there's a couple of apologists here) is fully responsible for this fiasco.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese