Pre-Game Talk: 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Would think this will be damaging to the tournament now going forward from teams to fans. Going to be hard to take seriously.

I certainly would not buy a ticket, knowing its a possible bust if someone gets a hangnail.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I could possibly see it if entire teams had it, but I think you do what you can to get through the tourney, without wasting these kid's trip across the ocean. I hate to see what happens if we get hit by something worse like alien life discovered within the population.

Queue picture of D Eakins coaching.

tumblr_pa8uozSuED1v85sfao1_1280.gifv

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Would think this will be damaging to the tournament now going forward from teams to fans. Going to be hard to take seriously.

I certainly would not buy a ticket, knowing its a possible bust if someone gets a hangnail.

Though I defend your right to your opinion and the your feelings towards the tourney I think the hang nail comment is totally out of line with the situation.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Though I defend your right to your opinion and the your feelings towards the tourney I think the hang nail comment is totally out of line with the situation.

You're right, a hang nail is worse, you could get an infection from it. Dave Tippett could have died from his asymptomatic Covid infection

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day the IIHF went with an absolutely ridiculously overkill covid protocol that made zero sense and forced teams to give up the games. This was the only option with their previous decisions.

Their covid policy didn’t line up with the local governments or even the other hockey leagues. AND they didn’t take the precautions necessary to have their protocols even make sense to begin with.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
They drag those young guys over here from around the world and then with Covid rampaging through the general population they don't isolate them? Are you kidding me???

And then they shut the teams down on 1 positive test? What other outcome was even a remote possibility?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Jim must have got a lot of turkey rest over the holidays. he's making some sense.

Anyway I watched the game last night and it was if the Canadian players already knew. They were just trying to have some fun together, play a good game, pile on the shots and goals and get some kind of positive out of this. Maybe goal differential wins the tournament, lol.

The IIHF once again have zero credibility and thats been limited for over 50yrs. Now who pays for all the costs of getting here, making the effort, planefare, hotels etc? Doesn't the gate and TV contracts mitigate some of the costs. Now both of these are gone.

Every attending team should be billing IIHF for all costs at this point if they are not.

We seem to now live in a world where we are unable (or simply unwilling) to manage or mitigate risk while still carrying on with daily life and enjoyable pursuits.

This virus is certainly very serious (and cannot be ignored) but so are many other things in life that we have long learned to live with and deal with.

Is it fair to people and particularly teenagers who worked so hard (to simply make these teams and travelled so far to get here) that we have no detailed plans or contingencies to deal with these matters? What has happened to the innovation and adventurous spirit that built this country?

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well, that sucks.

Earlier, a poster on here was saying how happy he was that the U.S. had their game cancelled and forfeited. Nice.
Amazing how karma comes back to bite you and make you look like an ass.:thumbd:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
How do you not get exclusive hotel, transport, for this? Omicron wave was known for a month. If you don't have a hotel booked exclusively throw money at a hotel to get it done pronto. There is no way different guests AND functions should be occurring at the same hotel
Ding ding. This seems like the obvious question to be asked of the organizers.

Folks wondering why the NHL can continue while this tournament is cancelled are kind of missing the point imo. This is a tournament involving amateurs, and for the most part minors. The NHL is a league of millionaire adults who have a very powerful union that allows them to make their own decisions about life. If anything, the protocols should have been more stringent for this short tournament than they are for the NHL. There have been many cases of healthy people who have taken all the shots and still ended up in hospital or tragically passed away. How is the IIHF supposed to explain even one incident like that to the parents of these kids? They did the wrong thing by not bolting down the protocols for this event, but the absolute right thing in cancelling it. It’s a shame they didn’t take it more seriously.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
They are asymptomatic cases and few at that, same as the NHL, and all double/triple? vaxxed. I was going to use the word sliver, but that might have gone too far.

Reactions: oilers'72

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
They drag those young guys over here from around the world and then with Covid rampaging through the general population they don't isolate them? Are you kidding me???

And then they shut the teams down on 1 positive test? What other outcome was even a remote possibility?

Great point. What was the chance that there would not be an outbreak when you are talking about hundreds of players, organizers, staff etc and no isolation?

You didn't need to be Nostradamus to see that it was virtually guaranteed that there would be an outbreak of some kind. So what was the plan--apart from cancellation. Were there no other options?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad