Pre-Game Talk: 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Most games are hardly watchable in the dead of winter.
I find the hockey more entertaining and real than watching a bunch of millionaires skate around, their pace depending on what they feel like that day.

Reactions: oilers'72

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Bang. Exactly. hardly anybody else thinks about the normal joes, the fans that support all this.

The World Juniors and IIHF have taken another huge hit with this. its not a given that people will continue to care about something. Wouldn't surprise if they lost 90% of the fans that came out unless they are specifically connected to National club players. if you're just a fan you chalk this up to plain stupid and never do it again.
sad really.
They based their entire holiday and money around this, and nary a word of apology.
in December, where they could've went anywhere else that was much warmer, they planned their vacation around this....only to be unceremoniously told, ...not happening, bye.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There were a bunch of Juniors on the Edmonton to Amsterdam flight yesterday my son was on and a lady had a heart attack over the Atlantic about 2 hours from landing. They had to divert to Iceland and land at Keflavik airport and get her medical attention.

Seems the entire aura around the WJC is cursed.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'll never understand how they were supposed to have a bubble, but one team was allowed to join it five days after the others. I mean shouldn't that ring some bells? I'm blaming the organizators, not team Canada (but they could've been smart if the organizators weren't). Even if they'd had a bubble this would've broken the whole idea.

I'm sure you guys would be wondering the same if the event had been in Finland and team Finland would join the bubble almost a week later than the others, just days before the games start.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
There were a bunch of Juniors on the Edmonton to Amsterdam flight yesterday my son was on and a lady had a heart attack over the Atlantic about 2 hours from landing. They had to divert to Iceland and land at Keflavik airport and get her medical attention.

Seems the entire aura around the WJC is cursed.

Does he know if the lady ended up being okay? Man, what an increase in the number of heart attacks/strokes reported on flights and in sports during 2021. Hopefully that trend stops in 2022.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
This may not be a popular view but doesn't any of you really wonder why team Canada was allowed to join the "bubble" five days later and thus probably too late for possible cases to occur before the games start?

The head coach of Finland said the organizators had a high morale about the bubble until team Canada arrived late, but after that their attitude changed.

I'm blaming the organizators to let this happen, but I also don't think it was wisely done from whoever makes these decisions in team Canada. I believe there's a relistic chance without this case the tournament would still be going as it obviously lowered the interest to protect the bubble and if "the bubble" had stayed a bit longer it'd been more difficult to stop the tournament.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
sad really.
They based their entire holiday and money around this, and nary a word of apology.
in December, where they could've went anywhere else that was much warmer, they planned their vacation around this....only to be unceremoniously told, ...not happening, bye.
The Wallys World Juniors.

You can't make this stuff up. They actually did this. Sorry folks, the amusement park is closed, the moose out front should've told you.

mark-messier-1995-48.jpg

Its uncanny though. Hockey is the most dangerous team sport played. You have to be fairly fearless to play it at higher levels. Its a game played with sharp skate blades, with fixed boards where an instance could be your last. Yes you can die playing hockey through the actions of playing hockey. Its plausible that theres more egregious risk just playing the game than the players being lethally or seriously impacted from this latest variant. But they sent them all packing home to stay safe.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Whyme

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
With the systemic system of doping in Russia they should have been banned from every international event in every sport for 4 years.

They were but they compete under some neutral flag now at the Olympics as the IOC is spineless and corrupt. It’s one of the many reasons I don’t give a toss about the Olympics and glad we’re not going.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
They were but they compete under some neutral flag now at the Olympics as the IOC is spineless and corrupt. It’s one of the many reasons I don’t give a toss about the Olympics and glad we’re not going.
I’m talking about all sports and world sanctioned events, not just Olympic Games. That “ban” was such a joke. Wasn’t even a slap on the wrist.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'll never understand how they were supposed to have a bubble, but one team was allowed to join it five days after the others. I mean shouldn't that ring some bells? I'm blaming the organizators, not team Canada (but they could've been smart if the organizators weren't). Even if they'd had a bubble this would've broken the whole idea.

I'm sure you guys would be wondering the same if the event had been in Finland and team Finland would join the bubble almost a week later than the others, just days before the games start.

From what I gather there was no real bubble-- they interacted with the general public in the different hotels they stay at

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
From what I gather there was no real bubble-- they interacted with the general public in the different hotels they stay at

Yeah, but according to the interviews the teams didn't know that until the day they cancelled the tournament. Obviously they were wondering how come it wasn't that strict, but until the last day it was obviously called a bubble. That's when they told the teams (according to those interviews) it' a "special environment" instead of a bubble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad