2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 4 (#9, #16, #28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Marner was also drafted 4OA so I'm questioning how accurate that list even is.
Gaucher is a very different prospect to Geekie.

Strikes me as a very safe, high floor type of pick but will likely max out as an offensively limited bottom 6 C.

Not necessarily what you might want - but if he's there at 28 he'd be our third pick of the draft & would certainly fill organisational needs.
And tough as hell to play against...take him at 28 though...I would absolutely take Yurov at 16 if he defected lol.iam even starting to warm up to Lekkerimaki at 9.From my eye test he was arguably the best player in tourny then you hear scouting reports and question everything despite what I saw. At the end of the day it's a crap shoot as they are only 17 and tough to project if they level off keep improving etc.Thats why most of the players I always valued were the ones with the strong work ethics.I wanted and loved the Quinn and Cozens picks .That type of player will always play in NHL even if they don't reach their ceiling. My two cents lol

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It's a little more than razor thin for me. I do like Miro more than Yurov, for sure.

I think Miro is probably the 2nd or 3rd most skilled player in this draft........Yurov is probably in that 4-6 area for me.
Good take them both have them defect then 2 defenceman at 28 and 41 then focus on a goalie a vet D and C who is good on faceoffs call it a day lol

We have very little high end skill. It's Quinn and that's it.
Huge Quinn fan but man Peterka in the last month and playoffs played like a young upcoming star

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Think Lekkerimaki
Want Savoie but Lekkerimaki works

Think Yurov
Want McGroarty but Yurov works

Think Some D
Want Hutson and will cry when it’s a different one (ill be drunk by then)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
In the last 30 years, the best sub-6 foot wingers drafted top 10 are (in order):
Patrick Kane
Sergei Samsonov
Jeff Skinner
Clayton Keller
Michael Boedker
Gilbert Brule
And it gets worse from here.

No position busts in the top ten more frequently than wingers, and shorter wingers bust the most.

Great post! I think it's going to be a few Dmen who step in and go ahead of a lot of the wingers people are projecting, shaking up the consensus.

I think as many as 4 Dmen will go in the top 10: Nemec, Jiricek, Korchinski and one of Mintyukov or Pickering.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
IMO if they've trended it's towards competitiveness no matter size or skills. That thought should ease the minds of Geekie critics.

• Love
Reactions: jmelm

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Think Lekkerimaki
Want Savoie but Lekkerimaki works

Think Yurov
Want McGroarty but Yurov works

Think Some D
Want Hutson and will cry when it’s a different one (ill be drunk by then)

You and I are basically on the same page here, though I don't particularly care who we get at 9 or 28.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

HP doesn't think he's a C at the NHL level. If our scouts also see him as a LW, I'd rather have Lutz or Nyman as far as bigger LWers. Or trade up for Ohgren.

Gaucher is a very different prospect to Geekie.

Strikes me as a very safe, high floor type of pick but will likely max out as an offensively limited bottom 6 C.

Not necessarily what you might want - but if he's there at 28 he'd be our third pick of the draft & would certainly fill organisational needs.

He may not be a C at the NHL level. Sapovaliv would for sure, if we're talking bottom 6 guys.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pronman's rating is strange. Slaf and Jiricek in the top 2, Wright fourth? What? :huh:

This is a good time to remember Pronman isn't a scout ;)

He has Slaf 1, Wright 2, Cooley 3, and Jiricek 4.

I guess he was talking about his latest mock, which is his worst mock yet.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
i can’t wait to see if I’m drunk happy or just drunk this time tomorrow night

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
In the last 30 years, the best sub-6 foot wingers drafted top 10 are (in order):
Patrick Kane
Sergei Samsonov
Jeff Skinner
Clayton Keller
Michael Boedker
Gilbert Brule
And it gets worse from here.

No position busts in the top ten more frequently than wingers, and shorter wingers bust the most.
I'm not buying it. A couple counter points:

1. people grow - Someone else mentioned it but Mitch Marner was 5'11" at the time of the draft. Why not include him, did he grow out of the filter set? Heck, I am a normal beer league dude and I came back from college at 19 and grew another inch. So these 17 years olds most certainly can still add a couple inches.

2. Smaller players slip in the draft. So, what's the sample size here? St. Louis went undrafted (never knew that). Marchand - 3rd round. Johnny G 4th round. DeBrincat - 2nd round. These are top top players in the league.

Reactions: Dingo44

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I have C&W night out with the 7am wakeup for the start. So my final crystal ball gaze is murky but I'm seeing a Russian influence affecting #9 straight outta Saginaw in Pavel Mintyukov, with 16 they're Czeching out Kulich, then 28 it's clown school with the Firkus circus. 41 satisfies my long lost sugar fix with Swedish fish in Salomonsson

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
There should be a bit of a focus on center and D.

9- Gauthier/Nazar/Kasper/Savoie
16-Yurov/Lambert/Mintyukov/Korchinski
28-Hutson/Pickering/Mcgroarty/Kulich
41-Warren/Goyette/Gaucher/Rinzel

Ideally.. for me
9- Gauthier
16- Lambert
28- Hutson
41- Warren

Will be interesting to see what happens with Yurov, though. I’m sure Kemell and Lekkerimaki will be great players but I’m not hoping for them.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Hey, guys. I've seen a few messages scattered around on the implication that Russians are locked in Russia.

Just to be clear, Russia is not stopping any Russians, let a lone hockey players, from leaving the country.

Every male must complete 2 years military training. There are exceptions. You can buy your way out like Kaprizov, which they have seemed to crack down on, or you can get a medical exemption, which doesn't make sense if you are a hockey player.

So, it seems now, there is no getting around the 2 years of military training. I'm not exactly sure how it's broken down, and if it can be completed in the summer, like some other countries.

The most significant issue for me is whether the U.S. will actually give Russians the proper visa. That's what concerns me the most, not military conscription or the war. If the U.S. will force Russians to disavow their country and seek asylum or something of that magnitude, then I don't see any amount of money enticing Russians to come to NA.

Regardless of which Russian prospect you like, I very much believe they will come at a significant bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Hey, guys. I've seen a few messages scattered around on the implication that Russians are locked in Russia.

Just to be clear, Russia is not stopping any Russians, let a lone hockey players, from leaving the country.

Every male must complete 2 years military training. There are exceptions. You can buy your way out like Kaprizov, which they have seemed to crack down on, or you can get a medical exemption, which doesn't make sense if you are a hockey player.

So, it seems now, there is no getting around the 2 years of military training. I'm not exactly sure how it's broken down, and if it can be completed in the summer, like some other countries.

The most significant issue for me is whether the U.S. will actually give Russians the proper visa. That's what concerns me the most, not military conscription or the war. If the U.S. will force Russians to disavow their country and seek asylum or something of that magnitude, then I don't see any amount of money enticing Russians to come to NA.

Regardless of which Russian prospect you like, I very much believe they will come at a significant bargain.
1 year, not two. Also, exceptions are often made for athletes and they can serve 2-4 weeks instead of one year. It seems that Kaprizov have nothing to do with it at all, it’s just that the media loves hype. Kaprizov will play for Minnesota next season.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015

Hi there, newbie!

Russian military service requirements are publicly researchable, but the situation with Fedotov has made it clear that the Russian gov't is going to enforce that requirement however the f*ck they feel like.

Maybe the player is allowed to play in North America. Or, maybe the player will be drugged and sent to a prison camp in the arctic circle 🤷

The issue is *not* whether the US/Canada will require Russians to claim refugee status (seriously, that is a wildly misinformed statement), but whether Putin will allow them to leave Russia at all.

@Fjordy is our resident expert on Russian drama...whatever he says comes from a far more informed place than any of the rest of us.

Edit: and apparently I'm 6 minutes behind @Fjordy

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Hi there, newbie!

Russian military service requirements are publicly researchable, but the situation with Fedotov has made it clear that the Russian gov't is going to enforce that requirement however the f*ck they feel like.

Maybe the player is allowed to play in North America. Or, maybe the player will be drugged and sent to a prison camp in the arctic circle 🤷

The issue is *not* whether the US/Canada will require Russians to claim refugee status (seriously, that is a wildly misinformed statement), but whether Putin will allow them to leave Russia at all.

@Fjordy is our resident expert on Russian drama...whatever he says comes from a far more informed place than any of the rest of us.

Edit: and apparently I'm 6 minutes behind @Fjordy
His newbie post has a pro R propaganda bot feel to it. There all over the net now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad