2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 4 (#9, #16, #28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I spent the past few weeks deep diving this draft, stayed away from prospect rankings, watched hours and hours and hours of youtube scouting/shift videos, read up everything I could find. I've got a ranked top 60, BPA, which is the basis of what I'd like to see in the draft. Overcame a lot of biases (USDP guys, Sabres needs) and mostly there were guys that I was just plain ignoring, especially the LHDs. I feel like I have a comprehensive understanding of all the players that I certainly didn't have three weeks ago.

If Gauthier is there at 9 you have to pick him. I've got him 4th overall, above the 2 RHD. I think there is a small chance he can slip to 9. It's unlikely.

I've got Savoie 7th, Geekie 8th, and Kemell 9th. Kemell is top of my 3rd tier, so would be very happy if Savoie or Geekie is available at 9. There is an excellent chance Savoie or Geekie will be at 9, as I doubt my top 8 will go 1-8. The board will lose it's mind if Geekie is picked. I've watched a lot of Geekie the past few weeks. Hours and hours. The skating needs work, and it's essentially his stride that needs work. You can fix that, you can get a highly regarded skating coach, two more years in juniors, a year and a half in the AHL. There's no need to rush this kid. He has the IQ and the skill and his two-way game is there. I will be very happy with Geekie as the pick at 9 and will wait the four years to say "I told your so". Someone will take Geekie top 15, his upside/celing is just immense. And if it's Kemell, that's fine as he is my 9th overall.

Korchinski and Mintyukov will both go in the top 15. Kemell Lekkerimaki and Kasper should be gone but...maybe one of them makes it to 16, so you rush to the podium to make that pick. I've got Nazar, Yurov, McGroarty as 14/15/16. Nazar and Yurov are the last two in my 3rd tier, so would like them as good value at 16. And if it's McGroarty that's fine as he is my 16th overall.

I think two forwards at 9 and 16 is the way to go. If Korchiniski or Mintyukov are available at 16, that changes things. I've got them tied for 10th in my ranking, so either would be great value at 16. In which case F/D/F in the 1st round will be the way. But F/F is more likely. Would really like to see a defenseman picked at 28. Mateychuk will be gone by then. Bichsel or Pickering (I think both will be gone by 28) would be excellent value. There are some quality RHDs, but I've got Chesley at 29th now. I would be thrilled if we pick him at 28, even if it means passing on a few forwards I've got ahead of him.

So, based on how the draft should unfold, here's what I would do if I was making the picks.
9th - Savoie or Geekie (Gauthier ideally but unlikely)
16th - Nazar or Yurov (Kasper ideally but unlikely)
28th - Pickering or Chesley (would prefer Bichsel but I don't think he makes it to 28)

Who knows at 41. There will be a few players in my top 30 who will probably be available at 41 so I'll be screaming for one of them. Schaefer is my big riser. I've got him at 28 in my ranking. Lamoureux at 31, his upside is huge. I've got Warren at 35, would love him in a Sabres uniform. Firkus at 26...maybe he slips. But Gaucher is my dream at pick 41. I've got him 23rd in my ranking...to me his *floor* is 3C, he's a middle-6 lock and is just the sort of player missing in the Sabres forwards lineup. But Gaucher and Firkus won't be there at 41. So Schaefer/Lamoureux/Warren at 41. As much as I like Hutson he's 42 for me now.

Thanks for reading this lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is a good time to remember Pronman isn't a scout ;)

I guess he was talking about his latest mock, which is his worst mock yet.
Listening to The Athletic NHL pod where he went over his thought process, it does make sense.

Basically, he is hearing more scouts around the league saying that Slaf is the best prospect in the draft. So, he gave Montreal the best player. And then chaos ensues because NJ doesn't need a center like Wright with who they already have.

Pronman did say that the top 5 will likely go one of two ways:

1) Wright goes 1OV and then it is pretty chalk with Slaf to NJ, Cooley to the Yotes, Nemec to the Kraken, and Gauthier to the Flyers.

2) Slaf goes 1OV and then chaos ensues barring NJ making a trade with a team that moves up to take Wright. They did throw Buffalo out there as a team that they could see moving up to get Wright in that scenario.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
In the think vs want exercise are we supposed to assume the draft falls a certain way? Like, “want” means player I want from whom I expect to be available?
I’ll do all three. Think/Want/Hope
Think: Lekkerimaki
Want: Savoie/Lekkerimaki
Hope: Kasper/Gauthier

Think: Yurov
Want: Nazar/Yurov
Hope: Mintyukov

Think: Rinzel
Want: Firkus
Hope: Yurov

Think: Hughes
Want: Hutson/Casey
Hope: Firkus

Think set:
Lekkerimaki
Yurov
Rinzel
Hughes

Want set:
Savoie
Nazar
Firkus
Hutson

Hope set:
Kasper
Mintyukov
Yurov
Firkus

Reactions: elchud

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
What I think will happen

9 - Lekkerimaki
16 - Yurov
28 - Bischel
41 - Salomonsson

What I want to happen, because I need amusement.

9 - Lekkerimaki
16 - Ohgren
28 - Ostlund
41 - Odelius

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
How would you feel about making a big splash and trading up for one of the top 3 picks? On one hand we need impactful players like a top line player and on the other hand we need more depth.

I tell myself that we should just stay put and make all 3 1st rd picks because there may be great value with each pick. I’m just concerned that we will pick players that may only fill secondary roles like a Girgensons, etc.

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to development camp next week.

Reactions: elchud

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How would you feel about making a big splash and trading up for one of the top 3 picks? On one hand we need impactful players like a top line player and on the other hand we need more depth.

I tell myself that we should just stay put and make all 3 1st rd picks because there may be great value with each pick. I’m just concerned that we will pick players that may only fill secondary roles like a Girgensons, etc.

Cooley is my favorite player in the draft so I guess I’d want to.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

It's been mentioned before that top-5 picks basically never get traded.

If Montreal takes Slaf, 9+16 + Ryan Johnson for #2.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Thanks for that edit. Yes, sorry, it is only 1 year now. I'm an American in Russia, so I do hope we draft some more Russians, personally. Not because I have any sort of preference towards them, but I'll get to see more play live and I can't do that with other foreign prospects.

Reactions: Fjordy

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Countries have taken such stances. In some countries, you have to disavow Russian aggression to even open a bank account.

My thought process here is based off rumors that Russians playing in NA have concerns about their visa status, pushing them to seek immigration via permanent residency or asylum.

And other sports have banned Russian athletes, like Wimbledon banning tennis players from Russia and Belarus.

Currently, there are no restrictions.

Of course, the status quo could remain, where Russian players freely leave Russia and easily apply for a work visa and I could just be way off base with a possible trajectory. After all, the U.S. has made it much easier for Russian software engineers to make their way to the U.S.

There are a lot of variables involved, and with how fluid the situation is in Ukraine, there is definitely uncertainty, which is why I think Russian players will come at a bargain. That's the main take away, rumors and political predictions aside.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Adding a new item to my “hope” list.
Hope: Matt Tkachuk (extended) for 9OA + Jack Quinn

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Want: Sabres to pick BPA

Think: Sabres will pick players which will cause pages and months of HF Boards discord, drama, and opinions proclaimed as definitive outcomes.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Amusing draft choices: going full Dubas with a Sault Ste. Marie connection with the first 5 picks: 9 = McGroarty, 16 = Lutz, 28 = McConnell-Barker, 41 = Kudravytsev, and then Schenkel.

And now I can’t tell if that’s a good draft or a bad draft, as Kudravytsev is a LHD that plays on the right side, and Schenkel is a huge southpaw goalie.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

Think: Sabres will pick players which will cause pages and months of HF Boards discord, drama, and opinions proclaimed as definitive outcomes.
1657226823554.png

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

The problem is not everyone looks at prospects through the same lens. BPA to some may mean BPA that fills an organizational need; to others, highest ceiling; to others, high ceiling high floor; and so on. Then everyone has different biases and opinions on traits, so discussions go around in circles.

To me, four picks in the top-50 means four high ceiling prospects. With later round picks, you should be able to reach for needs and/or find bottom-six and bottom-pair depth.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I think the Ottawa deal that was not to be tells us they wanted to jump Yzerman for Kasper, who is the next best option to after Kasper for them, Nazar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad