Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
I watched him in person at a ushl camp and use instat(mutual friends account lol)
Ah okay thanks! Wish there was more video out there on a lot of prospects.

Pickering. With Denton Mateychuk at 24.

To be honest, If we actually select Pickering over Mateychuk at 23, I'd want someone's head on a platter.

Morden sounds like an interesting player, but he played mostly in the CAHS, so it's hard to value him. Shouldn't he be available with a lower pick? 4th/5th?

I know the Blues haven't selected a D in the 1st for a couple of years, but IMO it would be a mistake to focus solely on a forward. This draft has some really decent defensemen with potential that might be available at 23 while there aren't as much good forwards compared to the last couple of drafts. Mateychuk or Korchinski are 2 names I'd be really happy with.

...and then again, if one of Kasper, Gauthier or Nazar drops I'd be ecstatic and be very happy if we draft one of them. But knowing the Blues we'd probably pick a guy like McGroarty.

Yes should be available in the later rounds.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
But, but, he's a midget! We need big and burly!

He's not THAT small... he's 5'11 and 188 lbs. He's also one of the youngest players available in the draft so he might have some more room to grow physically.

Yes Morden should be around in the 3rd-5th rounds. Would be shocked if he was outside that. There were talks of him being a 2nd rounder at some point.

I wouldn't mind using a 4th on him or, if we for some reason acquire a second 3rd, use that one.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He's not THAT small... he's 5'11 and 188 lbs. He's also one of the youngest players available in the draft so he might have some more room to grow physically.

I wouldn't mind using a 4th on him or, if we for some reason acquire a second 3rd, use that one.
Under 6'2, he's a midget. no more midgets!!!! Only 6'3 and taller!!! :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: joe galiba

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
There's a good chance our 2022 1st gets traded but I always research as if we're keeping it. I've been following the draft closely since 1993 and it's become my favorite time of the year. I really enjoy watching teams chart a path to a future they hope ends in the ultimate success, a Stanley Cup.

This draft is a good one for defense prospects unlike the '21 draft that was light on quality defense prospects (Edvinsson to Lambos was a big drop off imo). This is our chance to grab a D in the 1st and I hope that's the route we end up going if we keep the pick. RD in this draft is particularly stacked with 9 guys rated 1st or early to mid 2nd Rd.

You've got Nemec and Jiricek at the top of the RD pecking order followed by Chesley, Luneau, Rinzel, Lamoreaux, Casey, Nelson and Warren. Nemec and Jiricek are both gone inside the top 10 but most of the rest will be available when the Blues pick at 23rd.

LD you've got another impressive group with Korchinski and Mintyukov being the top rated followed by Mateychuk, Pickering, Bischel, Odelius and Hutson. Korchinski, Mintyukov and Mateychuk are all likely gone by 23rd.

That's a deep group of 16 compared to last year and has plenty more depth behind them if we don't address defense until our 3rd Rd pick.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Final mock NHL.com

23. St. Louis Blues

Kimelman -- Nathan Gaucher: With centers Ryan O'Reilly (31) and Brayden Schenn (30) each older than 30, it might be time to start thinking of the future through the middle. Gaucher is a big, strong center who would fit well with the Blues' physical, hard-forechecking style of play.

Morreale -- Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWE-JR): An explosive skater with speed, acceleration and balance, Ohgren (6-1, 201) could be a steal at this point in the draft. He plays with a lot of energy, is strong on the forecheck and has great work ethic. He had 58 points (33 goals, 25 assists) in 30 games in Sweden's junior league.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Really? Army has been keeping the first pick lately. Expect he will do so this year.

Yes, really. Notice I said there's a good chance, not that it was likely. I actually lean towards DA ultimately shying away from high prices and agreeing to terms with Leddy or something as our solution but that doesn't mean there isn't still a good chance he moves it for immediate help during our window if an opportunity presents itself.

The organization is currently at a place where futures are not as important as icing the best NHL team possible in pursuit of another Stanley Cup. Because of that and that the piece we're after is a rare commodity it may cost valuable futures to acquire said player. When you're a cap strapped contender you can't just waltz out in UFA and sign some expensive vet. You often have to get creative and acquire a vet on an expiring contract or trade for a guy with term who fits your cap structure.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Yes, really. Notice I said there's a good chance, not that it was likely. I actually lean towards DA ultimately shying away from high prices and agreeing to terms with Leddy or something as our solution but that doesn't mean there isn't still a good chance he moves it for immediate help during our window if an opportunity presents itself.

The organization is currently at a place where futures are not as important as icing the best NHL team possible in pursuit of another Stanley Cup. Because of that and that the piece we're after is a rare commodity it may cost valuable futures to acquire said player. When you're a cap strapped contender you can't just waltz out in UFA and sign some expensive vet. You often have to get creative and acquire a vet on an expiring contract or trade for a guy with term who fits your cap structure.

I think they are in a good place where they can both compete and rebuild at the same time.

Stick with the core group, pick up lower-cost pieces like Leddy, but keep drafting for the future. That core group will age out in a few years so they have to prime the pump with prospects now.

Everything falls on Binnington. They're locked in with that contract. If he succeeds, they win. If he fails, he takes the ship down with him.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Something tells me the Blues will go off consensus and pick some one like Jack Hughes or Jagger Fiskus
I would not mind Firkus at all. He’s slight, but I love the way he can control the tempo of the game. I know people are in awe of his shot, but the way he controls the puck in speed and in coverage is the aspect I like most about him.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I think they are in a good place where they can both compete and rebuild at the same time.

Stick with the core group, pick up lower-cost pieces like Leddy, but keep drafting for the future. That core group will age out in a few years so they have to prime the pump with prospects now.

Everything falls on Binnington. They're locked in with that contract. If he succeeds, they win. If he fails, he takes the ship down with him.
Your last Binnington opinion was they should buy him out over 10 years, on page 1 of the Husso thread. Your comments on Binnington can be discarded.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I would not mind Firkus at all. He’s slight, but I love the way he can control the tempo of the game. I know people are in awe of his shot, but the way he controls the puck in speed and in coverage is the aspect I like most about him.
He reminds me a lot of Jack quinn

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've been wondering if there's something my thought that we tend to draft forwards in the first round for a specific reason, and one that's similar to other sports. Do we view taking a forward in the mid/late 1st as having a higher upside than taking a defenseman because forwards in those spots tend to develop into more valuable assets and defensemen at least drafted by us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds tend to be better than the forwards we typically draft there.

We see this sort of philosophy in drafts like NFL and MLB, so I'm curious if that's a thought process we have or if it's just by chance that when our pick comes up, the best player available has just happened to be forwards.

Reactions: Blueston

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I've been wondering if there's something my thought that we tend to draft forwards in the first round for a specific reason, and one that's similar to other sports. Do we view taking a forward in the mid/late 1st as having a higher upside than taking a defenseman because forwards in those spots tend to develop into more valuable assets and defensemen at least drafted by us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds tend to be better than the forwards we typically draft there.

We see this sort of philosophy in drafts like NFL and MLB, so I'm curious if that's a thought process we have or if it's just by chance that when our pick comes up, the best player available has just happened to be forwards.

I think it's the latter.

We've consistently drafted late first and due to the tendency for top centers and defensemen to be taken earlier the best of the rest tends to be wingers by the time our guys are walking up to the podium.

I do acknowledge that defensemen are MUCH harder to project and that indeed may play a role in some teams being more likely to use 2nd-7th Rd picks on them while taking the best forward available with their 1st.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Armchair observation/speculation: a few teams have multiple picks before the Blues pick this year. That's a bit uncommon before 23, and teams tend to use additional picks to go off the board or grab an unexpected faller. In a draft that's seen as more wide open and given the Blues' success with later picks, maybe those multi-pick teams will help give the Blues a chance to snag a player they'd expect to go earlier in any other year.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

My sense is that we view defensemen- outside of those can't miss ones that tend to go in top 10- as much riskier so we downgrade them when compared to forwards. I also think that other teams tend to value true centers more highly in the draft than we do, which is why Thomas is only true center we've taken in 1st round since Lars Eller. So when trying to project who Blues will pick in 1st, best guess is a winger with decent (not great) size and projectable skill, someone like Snuggerud, Ohgren, or McGroarty.

Reactions: Blueswin

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

If Army leverages a 1st, I would wager that the player they acquire is someone with some long-term value. It seems like both Army and Stillman value being a team that maintains competitiveness as opposed to rebuilding, ala Boston. So while there may be an eye to this year, there will probably also be one to the future when using the 1st…if it happens.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Your last Binnington opinion was they should buy him out over 10 years, on page 1 of the Husso thread. Your comments on Binnington can be discarded.
That's a little harsh my friend. I come in peace.

Don't see a contradiction. Would like to see the buyout, but it won't happen, so their fates ride on him.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Armchair observation/speculation: a few teams have multiple picks before the Blues pick this year. That's a bit uncommon before 23, and teams tend to use additional picks to go off the board or grab an unexpected faller. In a draft that's seen as more wide open and given the Blues' success with later picks, maybe those multi-pick teams will help give the Blues a chance to snag a player they'd expect to go earlier in any other year.

For comparison, checked the last couple of drafts to look for the players that were available who, at the time of their respective draft, were expected to go a lot earlier and 'fell' to 23 and higher.

2021 Aatu Raty
2020 Connor Zary
2019 Raphaël Lavoie
2018 Joe Veleno
2017 Eeli Tolvanen / Klim Kostin
2016 Max Jones?
2015 Travis Konecny
2014 Ivan Barbashev?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
For comparison, checked the last couple of drafts to look for the players that were available who, at the time of their respective draft, were expected to go a lot earlier and 'fell' to 23 and higher.

2021 Aatu Raty
2020 Connor Zary
2019 Raphaël Lavoie
2018 Joe Veleno
2017 Eeli Tolvanen / Klim Kostin
2016 Max Jones?
2015 Travis Konecny
2014 Ivan Barbashev?

Given that the Blues are a superior drafting team, I was thinking more about players preferred by the scouts/team. Guys like Thomas, Thompson, Dunn, and Fabbri were excellent choices and weren't ranked publicly higher than they went. I can't say for certain (sometimes we get behind-the-scenes looks that show us years later, but I don't think we have in recent years), but I'd bet the Blues' final list had those guys higher on their board.

Reactions: Beauterham

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Given that the Blues are a superior drafting team, I was thinking more about players preferred by the scouts/team. Guys like Thomas, Thompson, Dunn, and Fabbri were excellent choices and weren't ranked publicly higher than they went. I can't say for certain (sometimes we get behind-the-scenes looks that show us years later, but I don't think we have in recent years), but I'd bet the Blues' final list had those guys higher on their board.
I kind of remember Thompson was our last 1st round rated prospect and that's why we traded up a couple spots to get him. And besides Kyrou, who we drafted and DeBrincat, that's a pretty good evaluation.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
NHL.com just released a re-draft of the 2017 class that has Thomas at 4th. Hopefully we can find someone that makes that kind of jump this year at 23 if we use the pick, or perhaps Bolduc becomes a dynamic young scorer in a few years and makes a similar leap in the 2021 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad