Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
That’s the first list I’ve seen that has Östlund in front of Ohgren. I hope that trend doesn’t continue because I would much rather go for Östlund. I think of him as a much smarter player that could have some of the best potential in the draft for any player in the back-half of the first round.

I still think this draft is good. The Blues could take advantage of the confusion from the COVID years if they focus less on results and more on play itself. It’s a higher risk this year as there isn’t as much hard evidence (stats, track record, etc.) of sustained success. But I love the talent on display from pick ~5 downwards.

The Blues might play it safe with no 2nd this year, so Pickering would be the guy they target. But if they’re willing to take a risk, I’d be all for it, regardless of outcome.
Biggest risk in this draft, IMO, is Miroshnichenko. If he gets past Columbus at 12, he could easily fall to us. I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

Reactions: Blueswin

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Biggest risk in this draft, IMO, is Miroshnichenko. If he gets past Columbus at 12, he could easily fall to us. I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

He's a huge risk/reward player. Who knows what that Hodgkins diagnosis did for his development. I don't know if I'd dare drafting him at 23.

But I agree that at 23 it isn't unthinkable a higher-end player could still be available. Brad Lambert's ranking, for example, is all over the place.

Reactions: tfriede2

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The Athletic has the Blues pick as Owen Pickering, LHD, 6'4", 180

A towering defenseman at 6-foot-4, Pickering has excellent feet for a player his size and noticeable offensive upside. He effectively carries the puck out of his own zone, acting as a one-man breakout at times, and is very good at carrying it through the neutral zone. Still a raw talent, there are consistency issues in his game, but his talent is undeniable.
I'd be mildly dissapointed with this pick, mostly because pickering in my viewings hasn't shown me much to be excited about minus his size.

I'd rather swing for a stud in the likes of Chesley or Ostlund or Kulich or even mcgroarty, (Nazar or kasper would be amazing but doubt they'll be there) and use our 3rd rounder on Matthew Morden who's even bigger than pickering, a fantastic skater and I think might be even be better with the puck at creating offense than pickering....he's just a year or two behind in his overall development to pickering considering he played at St. Andrews college this year but he'll play in muskegon in the USHL this season so we'll get a nice outlook on his potential at playing against USHL competition. Would love to see us go after him in the middle rounds despite what we do with our 1st honestly.

Reactions: jbron

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Becoming convinced that BPA is the way to go. LHD is a priority but this pick plus Neighbours and Bolduc need to be foundation players for the next generation.

Reactions: DatDude44

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Really really starting to love Calle Odelius. Not sure if he'd be available by the time our 3rd rd pick rolls around but i'd be ecstatic if he was. He's a very smart smooth skating Left handed defenseman, he's not big but he's not small. Has fantastic feet, great lateral skater whether it's walking the line offensively or transitioning from backwards to forwards etc... playing a rush. Has an innate ability to anticipate play defensively and plays more proactive rather than reactive and is an outlet machine. He does everything with this eyes up. Has some skills with the puck and can beat guys 1 on 1 and create offensively.

My only real cons in my viewings are shot selection from time to time, he does a great job getting it through consistently and walking/creating shot lanes, but the next step for him is diagnosing when he has traffic and should deliver versus depositing the puck to an area or doing something to extend possession versus shooting when there's no traffic or has a passing option for a better chance available. Lastly, he wasn't very physical, but he knows how to use his body well on the walls for leverage/body position as well as puck protection etc....

Very intriguing D for me, my big sleeper in 2020 was Eemil Viro and this year it's odelius but i'm much more excited for odelius's overall upside.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Really really starting to love Calle Odelius. Not sure if he'd be available by the time our 3rd rd pick rolls around but i'd be ecstatic if he was. He's a very smart smooth skating Left handed defenseman, he's not big but he's not small. Has fantastic feet, great lateral skater whether it's walking the line offensively or transitioning from backwards to forwards etc... playing a rush. Has an innate ability to anticipate play defensively and plays more proactive rather than reactive and is an outlet machine. He does everything with this eyes up. Has some skills with the puck and can beat guys 1 on 1 and create offensively.

My only real cons in my viewings are shot selection from time to time, he does a great job getting it through consistently and walking/creating shot lanes, but the next step for him is diagnosing when he has traffic and should deliver versus depositing the puck to an area or doing something to extend possession versus shooting when there's no traffic or has a passing option for a better chance available. Lastly, he wasn't very physical, but he knows how to use his body well on the walls for leverage/body position as well as puck protection etc....

Very intriguing D for me, my big sleeper in 2020 was Eemil Viro and this year it's odelius but i'm much more excited for odelius's overall upside.
There was a couple mocks that had the Blues picking him in the first round. Lots of exciting defense prospects that we might have available at our pick. I’m not a guru at all but am definitely looking forward to their selections

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Nordberg, you say?

1656348523779.png

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Was just watching nordberg. He’s interesting. Very ugly skater but gets around fine, big with above average puck skills. Could be an interesting project. I personally prefer Matthew Morden as he’s 6’5 and already a much better skater and has similiar higher end puck skills. But I wouldn’t mind either one

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I understand the Blues need defense. I understand that Pickering should be available by the Blues pick. I understand his strengths and how he can compliment the blue line.

But I would much rather go for a pick that has a bit more spice than most saltines, personally.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I agree with your thoughts on Pickering

One more picking him...this should mean for sure we don't....Army keeps everything under wraps.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Reactions: Blueswin

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
And what do you think that might be?
23+Perunovich/Neighbors/Bolduc+Scandella/Barbie for a player in the realm of Chychrun, Sanheim, or Provorov. (Gut feeling saying Provorov due to the smoke around the Blues and Philly during trade deadline, and Provorovbeing the have that came up)

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
23+Perunovich/Neighbors/Bolduc+Scandella/Barbie for a player in the realm of Chychrun, Sanheim, or Provorov. (Gut feeling saying Provorov due to the smoke around the Blues and Philly during trade deadline, and Provorovbeing the have that came up)

I'd really be happy with Provorov. Come on Army make it happen.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Was just watching nordberg. He’s interesting. Very ugly skater but gets around fine, big with above average puck skills. Could be an interesting project. I personally prefer Matthew Morden as he’s 6’5 and already a much better skater and has similiar higher end puck skills. But I wouldn’t mind either one
Is there any video of Morden out there, I didn't really see anything? If he's already a better skater then I would definitely be interested in him!

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Bob McKenzie's Board...you will never guess who is at #23 again!

Pickering. With Denton Mateychuk at 24.

To be honest, If we actually select Pickering over Mateychuk at 23, I'd want someone's head on a platter.

Is there any video of Morden out there, I didn't really see anything? If he's already a better skater then I would definitely be interested in him!

Morden sounds like an interesting player, but he played mostly in the CAHS, so it's hard to value him. Shouldn't he be available with a lower pick? 4th/5th?

We won’t take a D in 1st.

I know the Blues haven't selected a D in the 1st for a couple of years, but IMO it would be a mistake to focus solely on a forward. This draft has some really decent defensemen with potential that might be available at 23 while there aren't as much good forwards compared to the last couple of drafts. Mateychuk or Korchinski are 2 names I'd be really happy with.

...and then again, if one of Kasper, Gauthier or Nazar drops I'd be ecstatic and be very happy if we draft one of them. But knowing the Blues we'd probably pick a guy like McGroarty.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

To be honest, If we actually select Pickering over Mateychuk at 23, I'd want someone's head on a platter.

Morden sounds like an interesting player, but he played mostly in the CAHS, so it's hard to value him. Shouldn't he be available with a lower pick? 4th/5th?

I know the Blues haven't selected a D in the 1st for a couple of years, but IMO it would be a mistake to focus solely on a forward. This draft has some really decent defensemen with potential that might be available at 23 while there aren't as much good forwards compared to the last couple of drafts. Mateychuk or Korchinski are 2 names I'd be really happy with.

...and then again, if one of Kasper, Gauthier or Nazar drops I'd be ecstatic and be very happy if we draft one of them. But knowing the Blues we'd probably pick a guy like McGroarty.
But, but, he's a midget! We need big and burly!

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Yes Morden should be around in the 3rd-5th rounds. Would be shocked if he was outside that. There were talks of him being a 2nd rounder at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad