Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
At #23 we should not be drafting for need, we should solely selected based on pro potential. Regardless of position.

If you had let’s say #3 and your choosing between Nemec and Cooley….and u feel your organization needs a cornerstone RHD (for example Seattle) you’d take Nemec since they already have that future C in Beniers. And vice versa if your a team like philly. Because u assume those top top picks are cornerstone players so positional depth and future contracts could play into the decision a bit.

So for me at 23…… it’s an absolute mixed bag. I’ve just started scratching the surface on this years draft so forgive me for lack of expertise/ options but right now I’d love any of :
Marco Kasper, Jimmy Snuggerud(imo the real sleeper on NTDP) Connor Geekie, Pavel Mintyukov, Denton Mateychuk (all who I believe go before 23) or Ryan Chesley (boring but safe), Filip Mesar, David Goyette (Probly too high)

And if we move Perunovich in a chycrun deal per say, I’d love lane hutson. Take the long term development approach with that kid and we could reap some serious benefits 4-6 years from now and hello Krug replacement.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
From The Hockey News

23. St. Louis Blues, Nathan Gaucher, C: Gaucher just feels like a Blues pick, perhaps because St. Louis has been such a great heavy, two-way team in recent years. Playing for Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts in the 'Q,' Gaucher is a physical, 200-foot player with great hands in traffic. His skating needs another gear, but there's time for him to pick that up as he continues to develop in major junior.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
There's so many players I like from mid 1st through the 2nd that I'm super salty not currently having a 2nd rd pick. Hopefully Barbashev brings a 2nd rounder back when he's traded.

Reactions: ArenaRat

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
And if we move Perunovich in a chycrun deal per say, I’d love lane hutson. Take the long term development approach with that kid and we could reap some serious benefits 4-6 years from now and hello Krug replacement.

Do you expect Hutson's game to translate to the NHL-level, even with his lack of size? It's already very hard to make the NHL when you're big, let alone if you're "5'8. He's actually smaller than both Krug and Perunovich. Personally I'd rather go with Chesley If we desire to draft a defenseman out of the USHL.

BTW, if we're talking about defensemen: I'd also like to add Elias Salomonsson to the list. One of the younger draft eligible players with an elite skillset but apparantly had kind of a downseason hence him dropping in the rankings. Could be a huge risk/reward player. He gives me a bit of a Bolduc-vibe: someone who was ranked very highly at first but dropped due to a subpar season. The Blues didn't shy away and drafted him anyway.

From The Hockey News

23. St. Louis Blues, Nathan Gaucher, C: Gaucher just feels like a Blues pick, perhaps because St. Louis has been such a great heavy, two-way team in recent years. Playing for Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts in the 'Q,' Gaucher is a physical, 200-foot player with great hands in traffic. His skating needs another gear, but there's time for him to pick that up as he continues to develop in major junior.

Well, he plays for the same team as Zach Bolduc, so our scouts have definitely seen him play.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
There's so many players I like from mid 1st through the 2nd that I'm super salty not currently having a 2nd rd pick. Hopefully Barbashev brings a 2nd rounder back when he's traded.
Looking at picks i always as myself would i want this pick or the player we traded for. So for this one. Would you rather have the 2nd rounder or Buchnevich?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Looking at picks i always as myself would i want this pick or the player we traded for. So for this one. Would you rather have the 2nd rounder or Buchnevich?

Wrong question, it's "Would you rather have Barbashev or a 2nd rd pick in 2022?" and I already answered that. Buchnevich and our own departed 2nd aren't really relevant to my post you quoted. I want a 2nd in 2022 and Barbashev could get that in trade.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Do you expect Hutson's game to translate to the NHL-level, even with his lack of size? It's already very hard to make the NHL when you're big, let alone if you're "5'8. He's actually smaller than both Krug and Perunovich. Personally I'd rather go with Chesley If we desire to draft a defenseman out of the USHL.

BTW, if we're talking about defensemen: I'd also like to add Elias Salomonsson to the list. One of the younger draft eligible players with an elite skillset but apparantly had kind of a downseason hence him dropping in the rankings. Could be a huge risk/reward player. He gives me a bit of a Bolduc-vibe: someone who was ranked very highly at first but dropped due to a subpar season. The Blues didn't shy away and drafted him anyway.

Well, he plays for the same team as Zach Bolduc, so our scouts have definitely seen him play.
I am already ruling out Hutson. He's listed on The Hockey News as 148 lbs!!! I realize the poster who mentioned him did so in the context of Perunovich leaving, but even so, No. I would be very unhappy if Hutson was selected.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I am already ruling out Hutson. He's listed on The Hockey News as 148 lbs!!! I realize the poster who mentioned him did so in the context of Perunovich leaving, but even so, No. I would be very unhappy if Hutson was selected.

I wouldn't mind drafting him If he's still there in the 3rd round but not with pick 23. 148Lbs also means he probably hasn't grown into his frame yet. Adding a couple of pounds can make a huge difference (we've seen that with Bolduc during this season), never mind adding 30-ish pounds over the next few seasons. Tanner Dickinson was also at 145 lbs when we drafted him. IMO low weight shouldn't impact draft ranking a lot, however, lack of height does.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Yes I love Lane Hutson. I think with the correct development approach he could be fantastic.

He’s the same height as Perunovich I’m pretty sure but has all the elite traits for someone of his size to be successful, especially with a 2nd rd pick.

His elite escapabity and edgework, elite IQ, elite competetiveness. Incredible distributor of the puck and master at manipulating opposing fwds on retrievals, through transition and walking the line in zone.

Even if he’s sheltered at 5v5 say 3rd pair he could a be Dahlin level pp QB.

In my opinion he is a better Perunovich. So if use Scotty in a chycrun deal, I’d love us to fill his void with hutson…..and Hutson’s timeline of arrival goes well with when Krugs contract is up.

Reactions: Beauterham

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I wouldn't mind drafting him If he's still there in the 3rd round but not with pick 23. 148Lbs also means he probably hasn't grown into his frame yet. Adding a couple of pounds can make a huge difference (we've seen that with Bolduc during this season), never mind adding 30-ish pounds over the next few seasons. Tanner Dickinson was also at 145 lbs when we drafted him. IMO low weight shouldn't impact draft ranking a lot, however, lack of height does.
And no I wasn’t inferring using #23 on him. But I would use a 2nd on him all day long. 2nd rounders are always a gamble. It’s usually a physical freak that lacks the mental side of the game or a smart player without high end physical tools etc…. To some degree.

I’ll bet on the elite IQ & elite skating Defenceman whose undersized but makes up for it with his compete level and brain

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Would love Bichsel or Chesley, but knowing the Blues are allergic to defensemen I'm expecting Snuggerud or Trikozov.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I like McGroarty as well. Jimmy Snuggerud is another interesting name (not only a name, but as a player; he's a physical right winger with a very heavy shot.) He's rated somewhere late-first/early-second. Maybe if we get another first for Tarasenko or a high second for Barbashev, we could take a chance on him or McGroarty?
Is this the son of one Dave Snuggerud? One of the player cards in one the very first pack of Pro-Set hockey cards from the early 90's.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'd like to see the Blues target a defenseman as there are several that I like, but obviously BPA should be the main focus when it's time to pick.

Mintyukov is my most preferred but I don't think he'll be available at 23. If he slides to the 15-20 area, then I wouldn't be opposed to the Blues trading up for him. He has a ton of upside and has the potential to fill our hole on the left side of our D.

Korchinski is another who's been rising as of late thanks to his explosive offensive game, however his defensive play is sorely lacking. That's not to say he can't develop that part of the game, but he's a bit more of a wild card for me.

Lane Hutson is probably not someone Blues fans will be interested in as he's another offensive minded undersized defenseman, but his skillset is very tantalizing. Great skater and offensive instincts but somewhat underdeveloped physically. It looks like he weighed in at 158lbs at the Combine and he'll need to build on that when he goes to college. He's still a few years out so he has time to hit the gym.

I haven't done much research on this year's draft so will try and do some more leading up to it unless Armstrong trades our 1st. Then I won't bother.

Reactions: Stealth JD

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Ideally, the BPA is a good two-way defenseman that slots in on the left side, but if we could get lucky and get another impact scoring forward around the 20th spot, I'd be super happy with that. Thomas was a MAJOR value pick at 20 and is looking to be not only a massive offensive weapon, but a great two-way player as well. Kyrou, despite some consistency issues, is also another value pick we got in the 2nd round, but these guys are more pass-first type players. Neighbours is your prototypical Steen-type player, so if we could maybe add another Bolduc/shooting forward, I think the future core could be set for a good long while.

Again, if we could find a really nice defenseman at 23, then I think you probably take him, but we've been able to find really solid players in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds (I wrote them all out for effect ;)). Krug is here for a number of years provided he isn't traded, Parayko and Faulk clean up on the right side, so shoring up the left side should be the focal point at the moment. I wish I was good at scouting so I could gawk over players, but I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say about their fav prospects :)

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Only player Blues ever drafted 23d.

All time points leaders players drafted 23rd.
This made me aware that Conner Bleackley is still toiling away in the ECHL for the last 2 years. He's "only" 25, which is a lot younger than I would have guessed. But you have to respect a guy who has fought so much adversity and tried to keep his dream of a professional hockey career alive long past the point where most people would have given up.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
The Athletic has the Blues pick as Owen Pickering, LHD, 6'4", 180

A towering defenseman at 6-foot-4, Pickering has excellent feet for a player his size and noticeable offensive upside. He effectively carries the puck out of his own zone, acting as a one-man breakout at times, and is very good at carrying it through the neutral zone. Still a raw talent, there are consistency issues in his game, but his talent is undeniable.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That complete profile almost screams Parayko, the pros and the cons. And even how they both had late growth spurts and rose in their draft years, Pickering obviously rising to potential late 1st where Parayko was more of a hidden gem.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Have not had bandwidth this year to also track prospects, that has all been swallowed up by ranking film noir. Pickering sounds like the exact type of player the Blues should be looking at if he's still on the board which it sounds like he well might not be. I would be very happy if the Blues landed a likely top 4 defender with that pick.

Reactions: Blues0307

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Sportsnet has ....23. Liam Ohgren, RW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWE U20): Showed plenty of character as Sweden’s captain, playing effectively while injured at the U18’s.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Sportsnet has ....23. Liam Ohgren, RW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWE U20): Showed plenty of character as Sweden’s captain, playing effectively while injured at the U18’s.

That’s the first list I’ve seen that has Östlund in front of Ohgren. I hope that trend doesn’t continue because I would much rather go for Östlund. I think of him as a much smarter player that could have some of the best potential in the draft for any player in the back-half of the first round.

I still think this draft is good. The Blues could take advantage of the confusion from the COVID years if they focus less on results and more on play itself. It’s a higher risk this year as there isn’t as much hard evidence (stats, track record, etc.) of sustained success. But I love the talent on display from pick ~5 downwards.

The Blues might play it safe with no 2nd this year, so Pickering would be the guy they target. But if they’re willing to take a risk, I’d be all for it, regardless of outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad