Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Don’t see DA keeping this pick in this poor draft - he’s going to do something big at the draft, and I suspect Tarasenko will be involved.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I always like to try identifying potential higher round (2nd to 7th round) gems. I really like guys who have the tools, but are underutilised at their team, who are clearly younger or still need to fill their frame (like Tanner Dickinson).
Some guys I'm looking at who might be available in the 2nd to 7th round
Vinzenz Rohrer
Niks Fenenko
Kyle Chyzowski
Luke Shipley
Jagger Firkus
Jake Richard

@DatDude44: As you know quite a lot of the USHL, can you chime in on Jake Richard? He seems to go totally under the radar. He's one of the younger players in the draft + still needs to grow into his frame while still contributing on his team. Read something like his skating needs to improve a bit? Seems like a great value pickup in the 5th-ish round.
...And while you're at it, what is your opinion on his teammate Owen Mehlenbacher?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I always like to try identifying potential higher round (2nd to 7th round) gems. I really like guys who have the tools, but are underutilised at their team, who are clearly younger or still need to fill their frame (like Tanner Dickinson).
Vinzenz Rohrer
Niks Fenenko
Kyle Chyzowski
Luke Shipley
Jagger Firkus
Jake Richard

@DatDude44: As you know quite a lot of the USHL, can you chime in on Jake Richard? He seems to go totally under the radar. He's one of the younger players in the draft + still needs to grow into his frame while still contributing on his team. Read something like his skating needs to improve a bit? Seems like a great value pickup in the 5th-ish round.
...And while you're at it, what is your opinion on his teammate Owen Mehlenbacher?
Interesting call on Jake Richard.

Heading to UConn. They're calling him a power forward

“He’s going to be a high-end goal scorer in our league, if not next year then the year after. He’s going to be leading the league at some point,” Lumberjacks head coach Mike Hamilton told MuskegonSports.com.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Vinzenz Rohrer
Niks Fenenko
Kyle Chyzowski
Luke Shipley
Jagger Firkus
Jake Richard

Richard has similiar stick handling ability to Casey mittelstadt. He has natural in tight scoring instincts. He’s consistently smart with the puck whether it’s making a simple decision with it or a high end skill play. His physical strength and skating/pace are IMO the only two things holding him back from being a 1st rd type of pick. He has the vision and puck skills. I see Richard as a late bloomer boom/bust type of player.

Mehlenbacher is a big kid with natural hockey IQ. He’s got a sneaky good release but he’s at his best when he’s on the walls protecting pucks and making simple efficient un-sexy plays. He can play net front on PP and PK. His edgework, hip mobility and dexterity picking pucks out of tight spaces needs to improve but he’s a good under the radar player who’s game projects well to pro hockey. Lower ceiling safer floor type.

Interesting call on Jake Richard.

Heading to UConn. They're calling him a power forward

“He’s going to be a high-end goal scorer in our league, if not next year then the year after. He’s going to be leading the league at some point,” Lumberjacks head coach Mike Hamilton told MuskegonSports.com.
He’s not a power forward at all lol he’s got a ton of skill tho

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Richard has similiar stick handling ability to Casey mittelstadt. He has natural in tight scoring instincts. He’s consistently smart with the puck whether it’s making a simple decision with it or a high end skill play. His physical strength and skating/pace are IMO the only two things holding him back from being a 1st rd type of pick. He has the vision and puck skills. I see Richard as a late bloomer boom/bust type of player.

Mehlenbacher is a big kid with natural hockey IQ. He’s got a sneaky good release but he’s at his best when he’s on the walls protecting pucks and making simple efficient un-sexy plays. He can play net front on PP and PK. His edgework, hip mobility and dexterity picking pucks out of tight spaces needs to improve but he’s a good under the radar player who’s game projects well to pro hockey. Lower ceiling safer floor type.

He’s not a power forward at all lol he’s got a ton of skill tho

Thanks for your insight! :)

Both of them haven't been ranked by any scouting agency yet, but where would you rank them? 4th/5th round for Richard and 6th/7th for Mehlenbacher?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Believe, the Blues should draft 23rd with
Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Florida, Tampa, Rangers, Carolina, and Toronto behind them.
Based on NHL rules Division winners, those playing in Conference Finals, and Regular Season Points.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Is Conor Geekie going to be available with our pick? That's whom I'd take if he was there.
I’d be surprised if Geekie fell that far in this draft. But if you want a big-bodied (or at least stocky) forward with potential for high-end scoring, Rutger McGroarty would be a good substitute. His skating issues are blown way out of proportion in my book.

Besides, who wouldn’t want a player with such a name.

jmwc95

Jul 12, 2007
Don’t see DA keeping this pick in this poor draft - he’s going to do something big at the draft, and I suspect Tarasenko will be involved.
We’re not trading away our leading scorer who has one year left on a pretty good contract. We need to go all-in this year.

Reactions: Robb_K

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I wouldn't mind Ivan Miroshnichenko if he fell to where the Blues picked. Otherwise I hope they could trade up for a decent D-prospect like Lian Bichsel or Pavel Mintyukov...or trade the pick for some help now.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'd definitely trade if there is a 26 or under top 4 LHD with higher potential available. Like Sanheim or Provorov. Tho, we would have to create more cap space (Scandella, Barbashev, or Tarasenko most likely)

Reactions: Mohko

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
We’re not trading away our leading scorer who has one year left on a pretty good contract. We need to go all-in this year.
Trading Tarasenko and going all in are not mutually exclusive. The #1 LHD is a glaring hole, and Leddy is a bandaid, IMO.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I know people are saying how weak this draft year is, but in truth, I’m still excited about it. I would not be surprised in the least if this draft ends up significantly better than people think.

But then again, this is the draft I’ve paid the least amount of attention to given the workload I’ve had the past year. Despite that, I really like a lot of the players I’ve watched from this year’s draft.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I wouldn't mind Ivan Miroshnichenko if he fell to where the Blues picked. Otherwise I hope they could trade up for a decent D-prospect like Lian Bichsel or Pavel Mintyukov...or trade the pick for some help now.
I was just reading about both of those defensemen! Interesting. I am cautiously optimistic about both.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I like the Miroschnichenko idea or Kulich or Howard. I think one of these will be there with our 23rd selection but Minttyukov will be long gone.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I’d be surprised if Geekie fell that far in this draft. But if you want a big-bodied (or at least stocky) forward with potential for high-end scoring, Rutger McGroarty would be a good substitute. His skating issues are blown way out of proportion in my book.

Besides, who wouldn’t want a player with such a name.

I like McGroarty as well. Jimmy Snuggerud is another interesting name (not only a name, but as a player; he's a physical right winger with a very heavy shot.) He's rated somewhere late-first/early-second. Maybe if we get another first for Tarasenko or a high second for Barbashev, we could take a chance on him or McGroarty?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I like McGroarty as well. Jimmy Snuggerud is another interesting name (not only a name, but as a player; he's a physical right winger with a very heavy shot.) He's rated somewhere late-first/early-second. Maybe if we get another first for Tarasenko or a high second for Barbashev, we could take a chance on him or McGroarty?
I would not be against it, especially if it helps the Blues plan on trying to snag a defenseman that should be in play between picks 13 - 22.

But then again, I don’t think Blues management wants to add picks. I don’t think they trade their 1st as Armstrong seems to value them more in recent years. But I don’t see them parting with pieces to add one either.

I’m a draft guy, so I want all of the picks. Any chance to land multiples of McGroarty, Ostlund, Kulich, Kasper, and a lot of other guys will tickle me pink.

Reactions: Memento

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Would have no problem with the Blues drafting Kulich at 23. He's a duel threat player that plays a 200 foot game. Perfect for the Blues style of play.

Reactions: Blueswin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad