NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
There's literally a Crosby/Ovechkin lite regen coup for 2023. I'm all for drafting top-5 again for 2 more seasons.
At what point do you break the cycle, though? If we draft top-5 in 2023, that's two years of our core at reasonable prices that we're not getting back. At some point, you have to ignore the shiny prospects, decide you have enough and make a run at it. I think we're there, or close enough that I'd rather not be considering a 2023 top-5 pick.

Reactions: HSF

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
At what point do you break the cycle, though? If we draft top-5 in 2023, that's two years of our core at reasonable prices that we're not getting back. At some point, you have to ignore the shiny prospects, decide you have enough and make a run at it. I think we're there, or close enough that I'd rather not be considering a 2023 top-5 pick.

You break it when you got the wins to back up that claim.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This team on paper shouldn't finish above bottom-10; that's a lottery pick with good odds.

When's last time we had top 2 pick? How many times did we finish bottom 2 and still didn't get one?

No way in hell we should risk losing the development of VITAL young guys now for a 5% chance at Crosby/Ovechkin.

Ask Edmonton how their own generational talent doing with losing culture.. or two of them.

We had our own generational superstar and top 3 player in the league in Karlsson who was just as electric as those two, didn't do much for us with shit team around him.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Yeah I definitely get this and want to be a playoff team, but the top 3 guys in 2023 look absolutely amazing. If the rebuild doesn't go as planned one of those guys should be able to turn it around. Definitely not advocating for another season at the bottom of the standings, but there is a big silver lining if it happens next year.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
So based off yesterday's game many were saying we need to focus on our defense. My question is down the line would you prefer JBD with Chabot or Sanderson long term.

I'm also somewhat conflicted as I think we could get Savoie. So do we go with a shutdown RHD or get the #1C we desperately need.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You break it when you got the wins to back up that claim.

Losing cultures can seep in and destroy rebuilds. It happened in Edmonton. It happened in Buffalo. Look what it did to Eichel, Hall, Dahlin, etc. If we’re in the lottery for 2 more seasons, you can considered this a failed rebuild, in the same category as those teams.

If you spend 6 seasons in the lottery, that ship is not being turned around.

Reactions: guyzeur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Losing cultures can seep in and destroy rebuilds. It happened in Edmonton. It happened in Buffalo. Look what it did to Eichel, Hall, Dahlin, etc. If we’re in the lottery for 2 more seasons, you can considered this a failed rebuild, in the same category as those teams.

The thing that destroyed those rebuilds was bad players. Drafting them, acquiring them.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The thing that destroyed those rebuilds was bad players. Drafting them, acquiring them.

And if we’re in the lottery this year and next season, it means that a lot of our players are… bad. It means that over the last 5 years, we’ve drafted and acquired bad players.

If this core group can’t pull us out of the bottom 10 by next season, we might as well re-start.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Buffalo and Edmonton sank due to bad drafting. I don't think either team got an effective player past the first round.

We already have Batherson, Pinto and Formenton, and Sokolov,Jarventie and Kleven could join that group soon.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And if we’re in the lottery this year and next season, it means that a lot of our players are… bad. It means that over the last 5 years, we’ve drafted and acquired bad players.

If this core group can’t pull us out of the bottom 10 by next season, we might as well re-start.
Nah I think in two years when Sanderson and jbd are settled in

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Don’t think we are bad enough for a top 3 pick but probably bad enough to pick around 10 again

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Don’t think we are bad enough for a top 3 pick but probably bad enough to pick around 10 again
The Senators still have 11 picks in this upcoming draft so it can still be a good idea to pay attention. Some quality prospects might be available in the middle rounds and the Sens could still attempt to trade up if there is a player they really like. This is a very deep draft so there will still be plenty of talent outside the top ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad