NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Man this draft is already looking pretty insane.

I thought Lambert and Savoie were the consensus 2&3 but now there's a few guys that could surpass them

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Man this draft is already looking pretty insane.

I thought Lambert and Savoie were the consensus 2&3 but now there's a few guys that could surpass them

Yeah I've had Miroshnichenko ranked #2 since January, so I never really understood the "big three" narrative. I've also never seen a drastic difference between Savoie and Nazar as far as smallish, dynamic, elite upside forwards. And then I still need to see more of both but feels like Luneau and Salomonsson could be in the mix for top five.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yeah I've had Miroshnichenko ranked #2 since January, so I never really understood the "big three" narrative. I've also never seen a drastic difference between Savoie and Nazar as far as smallish, dynamic, elite upside forwards. And then I still need to see more of both but feels like Luneau and Salomonsson could be in the mix for top five.
Even Šimon Nemec and Juraj Slafkovsky have a legit shot at going top-5. Some solid players in this years draft for sure.

Reactions: innocent bystander

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
This draft feels like it could have that “finishing touch” piece to our rebuild. Obviously Wright or Lambert would be the ideal situation but I doubt we’re that bad/luck in to one of those picks.

There still seems to be an abundance of high skilled forwards though, which would pair nicely with Jimmy and complete our top six.

I really hope our 1st is retained at all costs unless it is part of a package for Eichel.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
As I've said before I think this draft has one the highest number of players stepping directly onto their NHL team in any recent draft. At least 5 guys in the top 10 who will be playing against men this year and/or are so highly skilled you wouldnt want them back in junior.

Also love that this draft is looking tailor made to round out the Sens with extremely high end picks at both Centre and RD.

I am biased but outside the top 2 or 3 I really want one of the young slovak players. They just seem to play with so much fire and I think would fit in perfectly with the Sens identity.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
You have to remember that with a lot of the 2022 draft éligibles, especially the ones in the OHL in particular, we haven’t seen these guys play since their 15 y/o seasons.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens should target a RD who can play a top 4 role in the 2022 draft like Simon Nemec or David Jiricek.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This draft feels like it could have that “finishing touch” piece to our rebuild. Obviously Wright or Lambert would be the ideal situation but I doubt we’re that bad/luck in to one of those picks.

There still seems to be an abundance of high skilled forwards though, which would pair nicely with Jimmy and complete our top six.

I really hope our 1st is retained at all costs unless it is part of a package for Eichel.

Yup. A top 15 pick could yield equivalence of top 5 pick from other drafts. This draft is like 2015, IMO. Maybe even better outside of the top 2. Could get a Barzal, Rantanen, Connor, Chabot aka top flight forward or D with a top 15 pick.

It’s also why I kind of don’t want to trade any 2nd rounder. We could get a real steal in the 2nd round.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
After Russia started the tournament with the big line of Miroshnichenko-Kvochko-Michkov, they soon split them up to spread around the offense. Not exactly sure the impetus for this, as they likely dominate the tournament either way. Part of it may have been the emergence of Demidov as the third line center convinced them they could have three highly dangerous line instead of just two. From what I saw looks like the most common lines were:

Perevalov - Kvochko - Michkov
Miroshnichenko - Gazizov - Rogovsky
Trikozov - Demidov - Sinyatkin

Lots to like about Perevalov's game. Looks like a smart 200 foot player; some pretty good skills but not sure just how high end. Miro with Gazizov was a much different look than I'm used to for Miro. Although he loves to shoot the puck, I tend to think of him more as a playmaker. Having an elite playmaker in Gazizov setting him up was a ton of fun to watch. Gazizov is just 5'10 but he's a solid body at 187. Not sure how high-end the overall skillset is, but that kid can make plays - elite vision and hockey sense. Sinyatkin is another interesting prospect; more of your traditional Russian winger - smallish, elite puck skills, but I'm not sure how much else.

After Slovakia had dominated everyone else in the tournament, they met their match and then some against Russia in the gold medal game. Huge dropoff in talent after the top six forwards for Slovakia, and a pretty big dropoff after the big three (Slafkovsky, Mesar, Dvorsky), who were spread between two lines. Slovakia's top two lines were largely able to keep up with any of Russia's lines, but their bottom six was victimized by by Russia's bottom six, and ultimately there's just no stopping Michkov and Miro.

The biggest surprise of the tournament for me was Jonathan Lekkerimaki for Sweden. I guess not a big shock, since looking at the stats going in he was a player I took note of, but there were two or three forwards I thought would be better. I thought he was probably Sweden's best player in the tournament. His speed and quickness alone make him dangerous, but his shot and hockey sense also look pretty high end. I'm still somewhat underwhelmed with Elias Salomonsson; I hear the hype, and I see flashes of brilliance, but most of the time he doesn't look like anything special. I guess to be fair he's a full 9 months younger than Mattias Havelid. I remember being somewhat underwhelmed with Luke Hughes at U17s when I first saw him too - was also the youngest defenseman on the team.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I do think if we dont get a top pick ala Wright, Lambert or Savoie we should go for a RD. A top center would let us have an elite 2nd and 3rd line as we could move Pinto to the 3rd line.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Alright I've gotta try a list. Just going off what I've seen for myself so far.

1. Shane Wright
2. Ivan Miroshnichenko
3. Brad Lambert
4. Frank Nazar
5. Danila Yurov
6. Matthew Savoie
7. Tristan Luneau
8. Juraj Slafkovsky
9. Simon Nemec
10. Elias Salomonsson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So far these are the three guys I like & with all of the picks they have in the 2022 draft might need to move up to get these guys depending on where they end up ranked. All three could go in the first RD although I expect that Gaucher & Kaplin could end up mid - to - late 1st or very early 2nd.

1st RD - David Jiricek - RD - 6'3", 180 or Simon Nemec RD 6'1", 192
1st RD - Devin Kaplin - RW - 6'2", 190.
2nd RD - Nathan Gaucher - C - 6'3", 198

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

The more I read & see about Gaucher the more I like, where do you see him be taking in this up coming draft & do you have any videos of Devin Kaplan? If they could also draft David Jiricek or Simon Nemec they would win the trifecta of players who play positions of need for this org.

Jiricek/Nemec/Kaplan should all be 1st rd picks IMO & Gaucher could end up either in the 1st rd too or early 2nd, where do you see these three guys going?

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
The NTDP U18 team has 18 games on the slate against college teams this year. Looks like roughly half are against ACHA and NCAA DIII teams, but there's also a handful of ego-check games against Wisconsin, Michigan, BU, Notre Dame and UND. Season set to start September 17 against USHL Muskegon. Early on looks like one of the best teams the NTDP has iced in years, featuring Ryan Chesley, Lane Hutson, Seamus Casey on D, and Frank Nazar, Rutger McGroarty, Charlie Strammel(2023), Isaac Howard, Devin Kaplan at forward.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Omsk Krylya played their second game today. Traditionally Russia has used more of a European league tier system than a North America one, where each team is its own organization and can be promoted or demoted between leagues, but in recent years it seems VHL is moving more and more toward being a feeder league for KHL. This year they added an affiliate for Avangard Omsk.

So on a brand new team, Miroshnichenko and Trikozov are being given every opportunity to be impact players at the pro level. In their first game, Miroshnichenko started on the top line and played 16 minutes but struggled in the role, while Trikozov started on the 4th line and played 10 minutes.

In today's game, Miroshnichenko played about 17 minutes again on the top line, and looked substantially better, but Trikozov went to another level, playing over 17 minutes with 6 shots and what must have been 3 or 4 takeaways. Trikozov has a lot of flaws to work out, but he is the closest thing I've ever seen to another Marian Hossa.

Reactions: Agent Zub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad