NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think a blue chip C and RD are the only noticable gaps you can really point to on the depth charts. We have great young players coming up at every other position.

Still could be covered at RD as well with Zub, JBD, Thomson, and Rogers being more than enough support for Chabot Sanderson, Klevin, Brann, etc.

The draft is pretty good with RD especially the top ten. But yeah a bluechip C and a second pairing RD are areas we can improve on.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
There’s a lot of good Slovak prospects in this draft: Slafkovsky, Mesar and Nemec. Nemec may even go Top 5.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Anybody watching Hlinkas this morning? USA simply has no answer for Slovakia's big guns, Slafkovsky, Mesar and Dvorsky (2023). Slafkovsky is just filthy. Slovakia is going to be a force to be reckoned with at World Juniors in a couple years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man, the top 10 of this draft is DEEEEEEP. Let alone the entire first round. Could get a number 1 D or top line F in the second half of the draft.

We're missing one more elite piece and we are in a tough division next year. Would absolutely not mind a top 10 pick, but at the same time, we gotta progress. I feel a bottom 5 finish will be detrimental to our progress but a top 10-15 would allow us to progress enough and in range to trade up and get a guy we really want.

We're gonna get a player regardless; 2022 first round pick gonna be worth twice what a 1st rounder is normally worth.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Oh shit, mad props dude. I couldn't find that one.

Just own the #2 pick overall. No big deal really

Well, still a lot of hockey to be played and he's a year ahead of some other kids. Personally I have Miroshnichenko #2 right now. Feels like Salomonsson could add his name to that top few with Lambert, Miro and Savoie too.

Maybe not on the level of some of those guys (how high is Ty Nelson really gonna go at 5'8?), but Michael Mastrodomenico, and Kasper Kulonummi are names to watch.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Oh shit, mad props dude. I couldn't find that one.

Well, still a lot of hockey to be played and he's a year ahead of some other kids. Personally I have Miroshnichenko #2 right now. Feels like Salomonsson could add his name to that top few with Lambert, Miro and Savoie too.

Maybe not on the level of some of those guys (how high is Ty Nelson really gonna go at 5'8?), but Michael Mastrodomenico, and Kasper Kulonummi are names to watch.

Most definitely a solid draft coming up.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Really liking what I'm seeing from Tim Almgren. Kid is a buzzsaw. Wasn't a name high on my watchlist going into the game yesterday but he commands attention. Ostlund, Salomonsson and Bystedt were my top names to watch. Ostlund lived up to the hype and then some. Bystedt had some moments. I had been previously a little underwhelmed with Salomonsson at U18s, but I recognize he was an under-age August 31 birthday; he wasn't perfect yesterday, but I'm starting to see some of the offensive upside people have been raving about.

Joakim Kemell and Kasper Kulonummi are players I was already reasonably familiar with from YOG and limited roles at U18s, but both have really stepped up their games. I've always known Kemell as a kid with ridiculous puck skills who loves to try to make things happen, but previously he seemed to stickhandle himself into trouble more often than not. Against Russia yesterday it looked more like he is actually making moves with a purpose. And Kulonummi I had thought of as more of an unexciting two-way defenseman, but I saw some pretty impressive offense from him yesterday.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Russia put the big guns back together. Miro-Kvochko-Michkov was the line that terrorized YOGs. Now they're doing the same to the field at Hlinkas. Michkov skates like nothing I've seen before. Just watch this shift:

Mix in Miroshnichenko's power game and passing vision, and a standout two-way center with some skill in Kvochko, and they're just going to keep doing this for the foreseeable future.

But the most intriguing player for this coming draft for me is Gleb Trikozov. Looks like the wildcard of the class. He's playing second line with Gazizov here, and point on second PP, and in Omskie he was third line LW last year, just behind Miro.

For those not familiar, think all of the positive and negative about Perfetti, Lysell, Kent Johnson from the past couple drafts, but amplified. I mean, he doesn't have the level of pure skill or creativity of those guys, but he is very highly skilled in his own right, plus 6'1, 185 with a serious power element - most prominent when he takes defenders to the outside and they think they have him rubbed out on the boards but he lowers the shoulder and squeezes through, but he also throws some solid hits. He also shows flashes of high end defensive play, skating through pucks and more than occasionally hustling to break up scoring chances last second. When he's jeckyll he reminds me so much of Marian Hossa.

This was probably my favorite clip of him:

Keep watching after the rush, as he steals back the puck and draws a penalty.

But when he's hyde, I've rarely seen a prospect lately at as high a level as MHL so reckless and overconfident with the puck. It gets ridiculous at times, turning over pucks trying to deke opponents behind or right in front of his own net.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Really liking what I'm seeing from Tim Almgren. Kid is a buzzsaw. Wasn't a name high on my watchlist going into the game yesterday but he commands attention. Ostlund, Salomonsson and Bystedt were my top names to watch.

Same, I thought them to be shoe-ins for top 5 projection but my God the draft is so deep one or both could potentially be picked outside the top 10(!!)

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Toronto's head scout just left for the Rangers. Last I heard Mann has one more year on his contract.

If Toronto can lose their guy, anyone can.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Some of my favourites for this draft include

Noah Warren: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574586/noah-warren

6’5” smooth skating defensive defender. One of the younger players in the draft and shoots right. Definitely a guy @aragorn will be clamouring Ottawa to draft.
A solid comparison for him is Devon Toews.

Ryan Abraham:
Ryan Abraham at eliteprospects.com

The unfortunate part of Ryan is he’s only 5’7”, but he makes up for that with his motor. Gives it his all every shift, leaves it all out there on the ice.
One of the best skaters in the draft and also is phenomenal with the puck on his stick. Very smart, the puck seems to follow him around the ice.
I compare him to Johnny Gaudreau.

Pano Fimis:
Pano Fimis at eliteprospects.com

Another guy who competes game in and out. Is going to be a centre at the next level. He plays a complete 200’ game and is a really good skater. Another guy who isn’t very big (only 5’11) but compare’s favourably to Claude Giroux

Tristan Luneau:
Tristan Luneau at eliteprospects.com

Just a complete defenceman, excellent skating and puck moving ability to pair with his great defensive game and elite hockey IQ. He was Gatineau’s #1 defence men this season as a 16 year old, that alone should speak volumes on how good this guy is.
Think Seth Jones with Luneau

Luca Hauf: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/561615/luca-hauf

I have to throw in one of my fellow Germans in here, he has amazing hockey IQ, is always in the right spot, also has a deceptively good shot. He’s my favourite player out of the German ‘02 group of players that features guys like Roman Kechter, Julian Lutz and Moritz Elias.
One flaw Hauf has is his skating isn’t very good and it could limit him being a high pick. But as Sens fans know with Mark Stone is that as long as the hockey IQ is there; anything is possible.
I like to think he’s basically Leon Draisaitl :sarcasm:

Reactions: LeProspector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->