Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Draft Mega Thread: All Draft Talk Goes Here!

Who Does Montreal Draft 1st OA?

• Cooley, Logan

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Jiricek, David

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Nemec, Simon

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Slafkovsky, Juraj

Votes: 34 6.4%
  • Wright, Shane

Votes: 425 80.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Then you didn’t watch Puljujarvi at that age. Fast, skilled, dominant.
I did review Puljujarvi’s world juniors again just recently. Fast-yes, skilled-debatable, certainly much less than Slaf- dominant, no. I find he was treading water and was often ineffective.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm waiting for you. If I listen to lavoie I feel like I'm listening to a donkey in labour
Just finished the 26 minute interview involving Lavoie:

He's covering other topics as well as the draft (Price's health, etc.) but I'll limit myself mostly to the draft.

Says the fact that you have two teams with early picks (2nd and 7th) making their picks available indicates how little teams think of this draft class.

You can expect to see the Habs sign Colin White (predictable).

Habs' no. 1 priority remains creating cap space, despite their focus on the draft.

His comment about how he'd be shocked if Wright was the pick -- it's based on what he heard about him from scouts of several teams. They all began to doubt him.

Compares Wright to what Suzuki did on his last year of juniors. Suzuki was traded to Guelph and helps raise the team to a whole other level. The feedback he's gotten from the Guelph team at the time is that it was thanks to Suzuki that they reached the Mem Cup finals.

He refers to an interview he heard Wright give where he was told that he looked too passive on the ice and Wright replied that he doesn't skate as much as others as he's reading the play. When Lavoie said he'd fall off his chair if they chose Wright, his conclusion was based on not only scouts from other teams but from what he heard leaguewide -- that there are serious questions to be asked about Wright. Says that evidently, the Habs are asking the same questions.

Refers to Bobby Mac's poll and how Wright slipped in the rankings from the start of the year. Also, when you look at who else is available, he's also been told that Cooley has the highest offensive potential.

And then Slaf. Slaf is fast. Usually at 6'4, 225 lbs., players of that size don't tend to have great skating ability. Then he looked as his character. Slaf left home at age 14 to live in an apartment and where he cooked his own meals. Showed a lot of maturity. Thinks that coming into a market like Montreal, he'll be able to handle it cause he's seen greater challenges. Sees the ability of the Habs to send him to Laval as an advantage. Thinks that Montreal fans would prefer to see the player develop in Montreal as a 1OA pick, something they could do with him without being on the Habs, which can't happen with the other two.

Thinks that Wright has supporters within the Habs org., however, thinks that too many red flags turned up, forcing everyone to re-evaluate him. Could still be that they go with Wright, he doesn't know.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
There was lots of people claiming he’d be better than Laine, and lots of people claiming Laine would be better than Matthews.

Sounds familiar
Laine looked a clearly superior player to Puuljarvi in the same World Junior.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

He's covering other topics as well as the draft (Price's health, etc.) but I'll limit myself mostly to the draft.

Says the fact that you have two teams with early picks (2nd and 7th) making their picks available indicates how little teams think of this draft class.

Habs' no. 1 priority remains creating cap space, despite their focus on the draft.

His comment about how he'd be shocked if Wright was the pick -- it's based on what he heard about him from scouts of several teams. They all began to doubt him.

Compares Wright to what Suzuki did on his last year of juniors. Suzuki was traded to Guelph and helps raise the team to a whole other level. The feedback he's gotten from the Guelph team at the time is that it was thanks to Suzuki that they reached the Mem Cup finals.

He refers to an interview he heard Wright give where he was told that he looked to passive on the ice and Wright replied that he doesn't skate as much as others as he's reading the play. When Lavoie said he'd fall off his chair if they chose Wright, his conclusion was based on not only scouts from other teams but from what he heard leaguewide -- that there are serious questions to be asked about Wright. Says that evidently, the Habs are asking the same questions.

Refers to Bobby Mac's poll and how Wright slipped in the rankings from the start of the year. Also, when you look at who else is available, he's also been told that Cooley has the highest offensive potential.

And then Slaf. Slaf is fast. Usually at 6'4, 225 lbs., players of that size don't tend to have great skating ability. Then he looked as his character. Slaf left home to live in an apartment and where he cooked his own meal. Showed a lot of maturity. Thinks that coming into a market like Montreal, he'll be able to handle it cause he's seen greater challenges. Sees the ability of the Habs to send him to Laval as an advantage. Thinks that Montreal fans would prefer to see the player develop in Montreal as a 1OA pick, something they could do with him without being on the Habs, which can't happen with the other two.

Thinks that Wright has supporters within the Habs org., however, thinks that too many red flags turned up, forcing everyone to re-evaluate him. Could still be they go for Wright, he doesn't know.
I'm sorry you had to listen to that

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I don't know, no one knows. But they're not going to tell him they're taking him the morning of the draft when they've waited this long. For all we know, they could be telling him he's -not- the pick so it doesn't sting as much.

That's why its just whatever because unless you're part of the meeting you could turn yourself into a pretzel wondering why.

the thing is if Slaf is realy our man, someone has to be fired. You cant let the media reveal things before it happens.

Then, for what it worths, just let you know that Shane Wright odds on betting sites were around -200 to -275 yesterday and its now more around -225 to -375. It dont means that Wright is the pick but Slaf stock arent affected yet and this is a sign of a bluff and there's not realy an information about Habs picking Slaf. I know, Its not like when you watch oscars and betting sites gives you all the informations with dramatics market changes but you have to consider this

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

He refers to an interview he heard Wright give where he was told that he looked too passive on the ice and Wright replied that he doesn't skate as much as others as he's reading the play. When Lavoie said he'd fall off his chair if they chose Wright, his conclusion was based on not only scouts from other teams but from what he heard leaguewide -- that there are serious questions to be asked about Wright. Says that evidently, the Habs are asking the same questions.

And then Slaf. Slaf is fast. Usually at 6'4, 225 lbs., players of that size don't tend to have great skating ability. Then he looked as his character. Slaf left home at age 14 to live in an apartment and where he cooked his own meals. Showed a lot of maturity. Thinks that coming into a market like Montreal, he'll be able to handle it cause he's seen greater challenges. Sees the ability of the Habs to send him to Laval as an advantage. Thinks that Montreal fans would prefer to see the player develop in Montreal as a 1OA pick, something they could do with him without being on the Habs, which can't happen with the other two.

Thinks that Wright has supporters within the Habs org., however, thinks that too many red flags turned up, forcing everyone to re-evaluate him. Could still be that they go with Wright, he doesn't know.
"I'll fall out of my chair if they choose Wright"

"They could still go with Wright, I don't know"

Yeah, par for the course with everyone else today.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"I'll fall out of my chair if they choose Wright"

"They could still go with Wright, I don't know"

Yeah, par for the course with everyone else today.
You cherry picked. He was using information gathered from scouts and others leaguewide when he made the falling of his chair comment. He was not claiming to know what the Habs would do.

Please don’t put me in a position of defending the guy, I’m not a fan.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
john-locke-from-lost
Smoke monster?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I did review Puljujarvi’s world juniors again just recently. Fast-yes, skilled-debatable, certainly much less than Slaf- dominant, no. I find he was treading water and was often ineffective.
This is crazy. He had 17 points in 7 games and was named MVP of the tournament. He dominated.

Reactions: ginomini

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For those who have seen him play what is Lane Hutson’s potential?

Worth a pick at 26 or 33?
Absolutely. The potential is sky high. Like true 1D offensive production in the 55 plus point range sky high. The question is basically just in regards to size. If he doesn’t grow he’ll have a tough time holding his own defensively. But there is a belief that he can grow and get to that typical small defenseman range of 5’11 185 range and if he can get there he can be a star. If not, it’s unclear, but he has the skills to be a star if he can hold up physically.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
You cherry picked. He was using information gathered from scouts and others leaguewide when he made the falling of his chair comment. He was not claiming to know what the Habs would do.

Please don’t put me in a position of defending the guy, I’m not a fan.
Then why not say that? Why not say "I have no idea what the Habs are going to do, but based on what I've heard from scouts around the league..."

Nah, you gotta do that. You have to act like you have some inside knowledge and you don't.

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear that I'm addressing Lavoie in my post and not you. Thanks for translating and listening btw.

Reactions: Runner77

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It seems like an anglicism. Which is fine, France French also has plenty of anglicisms. I just learned that they don't really use the word ''vedette,'' but that's used all the time in Quebec sports media.
The right word if you want the same meaning without the supposed anglicism is '"enthousiaste". But even then, I'm not sure « excité » is really an anglicism, it's used commonly.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Anyone noticed Slaf's package hanging under those tight pants on that picture? Also what's in Wright's right pocket? Better not be a pack of cigarettes. I looked closely at their legs to see which player had the most muscular ones and it's most def Wright.
That would be one oversized pack of smokes.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Then why not say that? Why not say "I have no idea what the Habs are going to do, but based on what I've heard from scouts around the league..."

Nah, you gotta do that. You have to act like you have some inside knowledge and you don't.

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear that I'm addressing Lavoie in my post and not you. Thanks for translating and listening btw.
You’re welcome. You’re not wrong, the guy is a low IQ attention seeker who likes to beat around the bush — as @417 surmised, it’s a painful listen.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
For those who have seen him play what is Lane Hutson’s potential?

Worth a pick at 26 or 33?

He would be top 15 no doubt if he was 6ft.... but he's 5'9. Still the kid quietly controls the game from the blueline. I wouldn't take him if we only had one 1st... but this year maybe... He might be gone by 26 too... he's in the 20-50 range and is only a wildcard because of his size.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Anyone noticed Slaf's package hanging under those tight pants on that picture? Also what's in Wright's right pocket? Better not be a pack of cigarettes. I looked closely at their legs to see which player had the most muscular ones and it's most def Wright.
This might be the greatest comment I’ve ever read on this board. Thank you.

And yes I zoomed in on both 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad