Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Draft Mega Thread: All Draft Talk Goes Here!

Who Does Montreal Draft 1st OA?

• Cooley, Logan

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Jiricek, David

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Nemec, Simon

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Slafkovsky, Juraj

Votes: 34 6.4%
  • Wright, Shane

Votes: 425 80.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That's actually false. I just did a little sample and since 2004, the top player(s) in the draft almost always came from the top 3-5 with a few exceptions like 2013 with Vasy and Forsberg (who was projected at 3OA), 2011 with Kucherov (although the rest of the top players were very high picks), and 2008 (Karlsson and Josi) although you still had Stamkos and doughty. So actually chances are the best player coming out of this draft is likely going to be coming out of the top 5.

All years where top player came out of top 5: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, not including any 2020s draft
This is sort of looking like a 2012 draft, unfortunately. The top 5 has been more effective than I thought. There are still a bunch of misses, though...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This might be the greatest comment I’ve ever read on this board. Thank you.

And yes I zoomed in on both 😬
stalker alert.gif

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
This is sort of looking like a 2012 draft, unfortunately. The top 5 has been more effective than I thought. There are still a bunch of misses, though...
But in 2012, the no. 1 pick was a low IQ winger with a terrible attitudes and the 2OA was an overrated non dynamic D who never put up good totals. Galchenyuk was a good pick. He did well in Montreal but was handled very wrong. He only started to really suck once he left remember. I know he was in Julien's doghouse for a bit but I'll go with the bigger sample size. Anyone with a brain knew Reinhart wouldnt amount to anything. Reilly was hurt all year. Forsberg was projected to go 3OA. So I don't see the similarity at all. Also remember the best player turned out to be a goalie. That's probably the only draft recently where that's happened. Point is 2012 is an anomaly and shouldnt be used as a comparable

Reactions: Mrb1p

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
BUT I have to say, Molson didn't picked the most popular people when he choose Hughes and Gorton.....and they didn't pick the most popular in St-Louis either. This pick might be a different story since the fanbase is so one-sided.
Gorton might not have been the most popular pick but that was because nobody believed he would be coming to Montreal. Bergevin was trying to hand the reins to Mellanby. Gorton was without question the best available executive at the time.
Then cancel the meeting. They must know who they pick now. So if it’s Wright, why bother meeting Slaf on draft day? I don’t believe the smoke screen for NJ to bite.
That angers an agent. Hughes is not going to disrespect a fellow agent. They asked for time, Slaf was late, they are still going to make time for him. They might have known the pick for a month now (I bet they have) with only one sweater with a name on it on the floor and they are still going to do interviews and dinners. That's just the right way to do things and agents remember it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...ummm...a little help for us Anglos, please...
This was posted earlier today but am too lazy to look it up.

Tweet is just quoting Dorion saying he has a lot of respect for HuGo, while discussing the possibility of a deal for his 7th. Added that if a trade benefits both teams, Dorion would seriously consider it.

Slaf quite the jokester:

Says he did it on purpose to stay close to Suzuki this morning in Brossard, cause he wanted to give reporters something to write about.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
But in 2012, the no. 1 pick was a low IQ winger with a terrible attitudes and the 2OA was an overrated non dynamic D who never put up good totals. Galchenyuk was a good pick. He did well in Montreal but was handled very wrong. He only started to really suck once he left remember. I know he was in Julien's doghouse for a bit but I'll go with the bigger sample size. Anyone with a brain knew Reinhart wouldnt amount to anything. Reilly was hurt all year. Forsberg was projected to go 3OA. So I don't see the similarity at all. Also remember the best player turned out to be a goalie. That's probably the only draft recently where that's happened. Point is 2012 is an anomaly and shouldnt be used as a comparable
2012 was a weird year. There was a consensus and the consensus players didn't do very well.

This year there is not much of a consensus and a lot of polarizing players. I doubt the best player will be a goalie but I expect some really good players to come out of the 10-50 picks. Probably one or more of those guys grow, or fix their problems, or show that the defects that made them drop were imaginary.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This was posted earlier today but am too lazy to look it up.

Tweet is just quoting Dorion saying he has a lot of respect for HuGo, while discussing the possibility of a deal for his 7th. Added that if a trade benefits both teams, Dorion would seriously consider it.

...Hughes just needs to keep telling Dorion how awesome Andy would look with Tkachuk & Norris..."The Beast Line" he could keep calling it...mmmmm, I can smell that lovely 7th OA...:laugh:

Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There was lots of people claiming he’d be better than Laine, and lots of people claiming Laine would be better than Matthews.

Sounds familiar
I had Pulju at #2 ;(

Bergy’s in town and was spotted at a pizzeria (apparently a place that violated COVID rules):

Wow Berge at Morreti, how surprising. He was probably after some 22 YO puck bunny. What a tool.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Won’t be a popular take in here but diversity makes the world go round.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
...probably had a pie named after him:

The Bargain Bin

Ham, Eggplant, and lots of Cheese

Ham is way too common. You need some bargain bin toppings here. Keep the Eggplant and add Artichoke hearts, broccoli, corn, and carrot. Ain't nobody ordering those toppings so you get them on the Bargain Bin at a discount. Has five toppings but costs the same as a two topping pizza. Oh and similar to Montreal never getting a centre they should the pizza will lack any pizza sauce.

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Ham is way too common. You need some bargain bin toppings here. Keep the Eggplant and add Artichoke hearts, broccoli, corn, and carrot. Ain't nobody ordering those toppings so you get them on the Bargain Bin at a discount. Has five toppings but costs the same as a two topping pizza. Oh and similar to Montreal never getting a centre they should the pizza will lack any pizza sauce.
notworthy.gif

Reactions: Price is Wright

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The right word if you want the same meaning without the supposed anglicism is '"enthousiaste". But even then, I'm not sure « excité » is really an anglicism, it's used commonly.

My wife is from France and she says it's mainly used over there with sexual connotation, contrarily to here where we use it the same way as in English.

• Wow
Reactions: Toene
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad