Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Draft Mega Thread: All Draft Talk Goes Here!

Who Does Montreal Draft 1st OA?

• Cooley, Logan

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Jiricek, David

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Nemec, Simon

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Slafkovsky, Juraj

Votes: 34 6.4%
  • Wright, Shane

Votes: 425 80.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ok, enough is enough with the Draft threads. We're less than 72 hours away from the draft, so here's a mega thread. ALL draft talk here. Day One GDT can go up 24 hours before draft, so Wednesday 7 pm.

The top 3 players, who the Canadiens are likely to choose at #1 OA are: Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky. All 3 bring different play styles, skills & weaknesses.

One of them will likely be a Montreal Canadiens by Thursday night.

We have a 2nd pick at #26, but rumours are we're trying to move up.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ty Nelson no matter what

ty-nelson-2022-7039.jpg

Apr16NelsonCommits-1024x600.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Which i disagree. I think Nemec's floor is almost as high as Wright's.

I think Wright has the highest ceiling.

Wright has the highest ceiling but increasingly unlikely to hit it. I agree with you that his defensive game, as well as his board game are underrated and subtle, but he put so much emphasis on it this year, while playing too passively on offense, that I feel he lost some of that "likelihood of hitting his ceiling" and that's why scouts are down on him. It's one thing to put emphasis on something, but he's shown very little flashes of a dominant offensive forward by the eye-test.

As for Nemec, you may be right here. Maybe scouts don't see it that way, I don't know. It's the only logical explanation for their ranking and statements, but maybe they're not logical creatures.

Reactions: Doublechin

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Ok, enough is enough with the Draft threads. We're less than 72 hours away from the draft, so here's a mega thread. ALL draft talk here. Day One GDT can go up 12 hours before draft, so Wednesday 7 pm.

The top 3 players, who the Canadiens are likely to choose at #1 OA are: Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky. All 3 bring different play styles, skills & weaknesses.

One of them will likely be a Montreal Canadiens by Thursday night.

We have a 2nd pick at #26, but rumours are we're trying to move up.

Discuss.
:bow:

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
So this is it, no Shane Wright ? @WeThreeKings

"If he is drafted by the Canadians, I will be surprised," Renaud Lavoie told La Dose . This guy did not live up to expectations.

“If the Canadiens draft Shane Wright, I'll be happy for the kid, but I'll be very surprised. I think I would fall out of my chair."

Forwards Juraj Slafkovsky and Logan Cooley are the other two players still in the hunt for the No. 1 pick.

And according to Renaud Lavoie, there is something important to consider in the case of Slafkovsky.

"He can play in Laval [with the Rocket] next year and the other two can't," he said. That, for me, is a marked advantage.”

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If we draft Juraj, can we name Chadkovsky?
I chadright, chadooley, Chadkovsky

"If he is drafted by the Canadians, I will be surprised," Renaud Lavoie told La Dose . This guy did not live up to expectations.

“If the Canadiens draft Shane Wright, I'll be happy for the kid, but I'll be very surprised. I think I would fall out of my chair."

Forwards Juraj Slafkovsky and Logan Cooley are the other two players still in the hunt for the No. 1 pick.

And according to Renaud Lavoie, there is something important to consider in the case of Slafkovsky.

"He can play in Laval [with the Rocket] next year and the other two can't," he said. That, for me, is a marked advantage.”
Too soon, tomorrow will be the giveaway

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Right so half a season in Laval is what makes or breaks a prospect's career? What BS! Habs are in tank mode. An 18 year old is not gonna change diddly squat next year!

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

As long as they're damn certain Slaf has a high skillset and IQ combo....

Because with his size and whatnot he will be a force with that alone.

I could get on board with it.

If they take Slafkovsky so he can ride the bus in Laval they should all be fired lol

Oh come on.

He's a Huge Specimen

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
I'm going with Cooley. For me, it's always been Wright and Cooley and ultimately, with today's press conference and Hughes' comments about character and his comments about Wright's missed year due to the pandemic.. I just have a feeling it’s gonna be Cooley.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I'm going with Cooley. For me, it's always been Wright and Cooley and ultimately, with today's press conference and Hughes' comments about character and his comments about Wright's missed year due to the pandemi... I just have a feeling it’s gonna be Cooley.

Just to add on to your point.

The emphasis Kent about regarding being patient and waiting for this to be the best player at 22,23,24,25.............. since we know he's going NCAA route.

The only knock on Cooley, is his shot isn't that deadly.

But my god would he be absolutely electrifying and fun to watch...............

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I hope the Habs did their homework for the late 1st/2nd round picks very well and that they didn't just focus on who they take at #1. That's where the real steals are going to be this draft, but you can't easily guess who is going to be available at that point, so your scouting need to have covered a lots of options.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
As long as they're damn certain Slaf has a high skillset and IQ combo....

Because with his size and whatnot he will be a force with that alone.

I could get on board with it.

Oh come on.

He's a Huge Specimen
If they take slafkovsky and either of the centres become 1 or 2’s it’s a fireable offence

Reactions: HostileCapSpace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad