Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Draft Mega Thread: All Draft Talk Goes Here!

Who Does Montreal Draft 1st OA?

• Cooley, Logan

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Jiricek, David

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Nemec, Simon

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Slafkovsky, Juraj

Votes: 34 6.4%
  • Wright, Shane

Votes: 425 80.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't have any reasons, just a feeling. I think they will target Cooley. I don't know why, just a hunch.

I also have this weird, apparently psychedelic induced feeling that we will trade for #2 and take both Wright and Cooley.

If they take Slaf, I will be f***ing pissed. Straight up. And I will be a f***ing shit about it and obnoxiously count the days until we end up getting another shot at a potential franchise center.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
They’ll draft Wright, and I don’t care what Renaud Lavoie has to say. When is the last time he had any breaking Habs news? Still waiting on that Drouin trade.

When they (Habs brass) came right out and openly said that Wright was the only player that they continued to follow up with, the organization’s glaring lack of talent down the middle, it all adds up to Wright being their choice. The rest is all just smoke and mirrors to make deals or keep other teams guessing.

I’ll go out on a limb and say they draft Gaucher as well, if they’re unable to move up in the draft.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't have any reasons, just a feeling. I think they will target Cooley. I don't know why, just a hunch.

I also have this weird, apparently psychedelic induced feeling that we will trade for #2 and take both Wright and Cooley.

If they take Slaf, I will be f***ing pissed. Straight up. And I will be a f***ing shit about it and obnoxiously count the days until we end up getting another shot at a potential franchise center.

Odds for Cooley went from 17 to 10-1. Too bad.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Kent Hughes in the PC: "We do value hockey sense. But hockey sense to me is also in part understanding what your greatest assets/attributes are and knowing how to make them most impactful in a game."

Feel he was talking about Wright here, and him not using his assets enough offensively.

That could mean anything for any of the players. Wright is a high IQ player and has used that IQ for more than just offense compared to his rookie season. That could also be what he meant. Especially since just 12 months ago he saw him at the U18 driving the play and he mentioned looking at the entire body of work.

Reactions: Takeru and cphabs

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
That could mean anything for any of the players. Wright is a high IQ player and has used that IQ for more than just offense compared to his rookie season. That could also be what he meant. Especially since just 12 months ago he saw him at the U18 driving the play and he mentioned looking at the entire body of work.

My impression is that the whole thing is about Wright, because he's the #1 target and they want to pick him but his downsides keep haunting them. Obviously I could be dead wrong.

I don't think Cooley's and Slafkovsky's warts haunt them in the same way as Wright's does. They want to pick Shane Wright but something tells them not to. Like you said, Wright hast he highest ceiling, greatest reputation and prestige and expectation to be picked at 1st. He's the main guy. If they pick someone else, it's on Wright's faults, not on the other guy's prowesses.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Guys...it's going to be Wright. Cooley is clearly a step below and Slaf is offensively challenged.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I swear to god if the Habs take Slaf and we end up finishing with like the 13th pick overall next year and suddenly "WeLl ThErE iS nO cEnTeR bPa!!!" I will be the most f***ing annoying person on this whole forum.

I put money on Cooley at 14-1.
Haha I'm so annoyed I had some issues getting verified. I was going to throw money on him at 17-1.

Up until now I wanted Cooley but my brain said they settled for Wright. But now, with what Lavoie just said Cooley is looking more and more likely.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Haha I'm so annoyed I had some issues getting verified. I was going to throw money on him at 17-1.

Up until now I wanted Cooley but my brain said they settled for Wright. But now, with what Lavoie just said Cooley is looking more and more likely.

Lol Lavoie is a putz working for the network that'll air the draft. They're just fanning the flame to get more viewership.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
My impression is that the whole thing is about Wright, because he's the #1 target and they want to pick him but his downsides keep haunting them. Obviously I could be dead wrong.

It sounded like he was talking about Wright, especially when he talked about charactere on the ice and then said they value hockey sense/IQ in the tactical side of things BUT that instinct and knowing how to use your attributes and greatest assets is important too. Seems like it might be their biggest problem with him.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Renaud Lavoie saying he would be surprise to see the Habs pick Wright.

We were looking for some media leaks the week before the draft if Wright wasn’t the choice. We might got one here.
??? Any inkling of why he says this. I’ll even take “anonymous sources say…”. He can’t just be taking it out of his ass and throwing it out there?

If they take slafkovsky and either of the centres become 1 or 2’s it’s a fireable offence
I’m on the anyone but Cooley bandwagon myself.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002

Sounds good. As long as it’s a center.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Let's remember that Hughes is an ex-agent, and agents use leaks and media all the time to bluff or gain leverage in negotiations.

Thus, the great bluff is on for the draft. Who will call and who will fold?
Who exactly is there to bluff? We pick first

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
I think they want to figure out the context. That’s why Lecavalier called him to figure out if the pressure got to him this year.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
I also have the feeling Slafkovsky is not part of the top-3 Kent Hughes is referring to. Wright-Cooley-Gauthier would be my guess.

Edit : apparently Slaf was mentionned by KH. My bad. They better not take him though :)

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Lol Lavoie is a putz working for the network that'll air the draft. They're just fanning the flame to get more viewership.
He's often considered the french mouthpiece for our club but sure he's just a "putz". It's the strong language he used that's throwing me off. Saying you'd fall out of your chair if the one of the consensus top 2 picks got picked 1st is not something you'd say unless you feel like you know something.

My bet is he's heard something to make him feel he can say something so absolute.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He's often considered the french mouthpiece for our club but sure he's just a "putz". It's the strong language he used that's throwing me off. Saying you'd fall out of your chair if the one of the consensus top 2 picks got picked 1st is not something you'd say unless you feel like you know something.

My bet is he's heard something to make him feel he can say something so absolute.
Yes he never said anything about the draft or the top 3 guys and it's been weeks/months, so i don't think he would suddenly say something so specific 3 days before the draft if he hasn't heard anything. His ''infos'' might be rumours who knows but i don't think he fabricated this just for clicks when he could've tell rumours few weeks ago.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I would throw all the eggs at getting Nemec as well as whoever we draft first.. I don't know why.. it's probably too many eggs.. But I feel like it's worth it.

Actually, the more I learn about Nemec, I am wondering why he isn't part of the 1OA discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad