Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Ryan McDonagh and 2024 4th round pick for 2025 2nd and 2024 7th round picks

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Feels like Nashville is clearing space for a Mitch Marner kinda contract.
I could 100% see them going big game hunting at forward, but I don't think it's Marner.

I've said it in the Marner thread, but why would Trotz pay an obscene amount of money to Duchene and RyJo to go away, just to turn around and bring in Marner? He's better sure, but he'll also cost more and brings the same loser attitude

Reactions: Sota Popinski

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
No, but he didn't have to extend Sergachev Cirelli, and Cernak when he did. He could have waited, or at least waited on one or two of them. He was forced to move McD once he extended all three of those players early, as I don't recall McD's contract being a problem that season when he was traded, but the years after that, his salary couldn't be absorbed with those raises in place.
The McDonagh trade happened on July 3, 2022, extensions happened on July 13 and didn't take effect until 2023. They had to trade someone in 2022 and it was either two young players or one expensive vet, and McDonagh was the only candidate from the latter group because the rest had full NMCs.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
The McDonagh trade happened on July 3, 2022, extensions happened on July 13 and didn't take effect until 2023. They had to trade someone in 2022 and it was either two young players or one expensive vet, and McDonagh was the only candidate from the latter group because the rest had full NMCs.
I don't remember his salary being an issue for the 2022/23 season. It was an issue the year after throughout the rest of the contract due to the raises upcoming in 23/24 season. They basically took the money they saved from McD that year and spent it on non impact players like Ian Cole, etc. I remember it being spoken of as they needed to get out of his long term deal, not that his $6+M salary was an issue that year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
982c66f2ed6de89e2fd010c942a913b0.gif

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Would both Cirelli and Cernak get moved? They've got a lotta money tied up on D now
Cernak has a NTC. It'll be hard.

Cirelli, on the other hand, has his NTC kick in... next year. ;) Which means he's the one to go.

Reactions: JKG33

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
To people thinking stammer is completely gone

This implies that JBB thinks Stammer will sign for 5M. That ain't happening. But this acquisition far from rules out extending him.

You trade AC, and you're good.

In a perfect world, you find a suitor for Sergachev while you're at it. But that's what I personally want. I don't see that happening.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Good move by Tampa
I strongly disagree. Really like McD as a player - but he's making $6.75M. He's essentially replacing SS on the roster, and the Lightning now have to try and replace SS with a $2M player.

Lightning keep thinking that they can have half the roster making the league minimum, which IMO is a fundamental problem.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
To people thinking stammer is completely gone

With Liliberg as #7, TB have 4.1M left with 10F 7D 2G. Let's say go with only 12F, the maximum they can offer Stamkos is 3M-3.25M unless they make a trade.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
What’s the plan in Nashville?? I thought their re-tool was over but now they’re trading their number 2 d man??

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
This opens a roster spot for Spencer Stastney. Cleared some cap room PLUS got two more picks back, And Mac wanted to return to TB. Looks pretty good all around to me, His ultimate pro work ethic and leadership will be missed ny Preds. But probably had to happen.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Makes sense, as long as Kuch is in his prime they can be contenders. Older core but still elite, Tampa already a contender for 2025 with this move.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What’s the plan in Nashville?? I thought their re-tool was over but now they’re trading their number 2 d man??

We've got a lot of LHD needing to come up, plus we're still technically rebuilding and have a pretty old roster. Getting a 2nd + getting younger + adding cap for a Stamkos/Marner addition.

We have 3 1sts and 5 2nds this year and next, after that I'm going to assume our rebuild is over.

So, yes, we're rebuilding but also a team that likes to gun for the playoffs.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They're still in more of a retool. Making the playoffs was gravy.

They also need to clear some space to accommodate the jump in Duchene's buyout hit.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa will likely move Sheary, Jeannot and maybe Perbix to open up a little more.space. There is still a very realistic path where they re-sign Stamkos and fill in the other 2 or 3 spots with close to min level contracts. They spent more on defense than I thought they would, which eliminates adding a better middle 6 F thks summer, but there's no need to move Cirelli and create another hole.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Good trade for Tampa, looking forward to see how they manage this acquisition cap wise tho...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
We've got a lot of LHD needing to come up, plus we're still technically rebuilding and have a pretty old roster. Getting a 2nd + getting younger + adding cap for a Stamkos/Marner addition.

We have 3 1sts and 5 2nds this year and next, after that I'm going to assume our rebuild is over.

So, yes, we're rebuilding but also a team that likes to gun for the playoffs.
Yep. Nashville now has:

Tons of cap + Tons of picks + Good (not amazing, but good) prospect pool. Plus, they were already good enough to make the playoffs this year.

They're in a good spot right now.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Tampa will likely move Sheary, Jeannot and maybe Perbix to open up a little more.space. There is still a very realistic path where they re-sign Stamkos and fill in the other 2 or 3 spots with close to min level contracts. They spent more on defense than I thought they would, which eliminates adding a better middle 6 F thks summer, but there's no need to move Cirelli and create another hole.
I assume they've already talked to Stamkos and have a good understanding of what he wants and how to give it to him. Otherwise that would be a lateral move at the very best.

Reactions: ThunderRoad

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Trotz and Brisebois clearly have no respect for the remaining teams in the hunt for the cup- making trades like this during playoffs is in the unwritten rules and is extremely fround upon

I don't even think it becomes "official" until draft day iirc.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I assume they've already talked to Stamkos and have a good understanding of what he wants and how to give it to him. Otherwise that would be a lateral move at the very best.
Yeah, there's very, very little chance that Brisebois made this trade without the Stamkos framework already in place to some degree. They can move out the three players i.mentioned and make it work, or they can trade Cirelli provided they have an additional top 6 ufa F in mind in addition to re-signing Stamkos.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad