NFL GDT: 2022 NFC Championship Game: (1) Philadelphia Eagles vs (2) San Francisco 49ers

PHI vs SF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
SF would be scary if they had those extra 3 picks in their lineup that they have given up so far for Lance with a first rounder to come.

Philly, they will need to reload with Kelce nearing the end but they drafted a C in round 2 last draft and Lane Johnson has indicated he’s looking at the end as well, but they can solve his slot with that 10OA pick from NO. They have vets on short term deals who need to either be re-signed or replaced. So, there isn’t this major runway for them as Hurts is in year 3 and next season is the final one on his rookie deal.
They’ll probably get a high 2nd for Lance from a team like Indy. Plus they’re going to get 2-3 comp picks for Carthon and some for DeMeco Ryans. I almost trust Shanahan and Lynch’s mid/late round drafting more than their early picks, anyway.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
These are really 2 teams that look to be dynamite for a long time.

Eagles could win the Super Bowl and have a 10th overall pick.

SF is paying less than 1M for Purdy so if Jimmy goes they have a historic situation.
Incredible loaded roster and not paying anyghing to their QB.
Imagine SF with more depth?

On top of Rams being a major? and Cowboys being in cap trouble.
Potentially both Brady& Rodgers leaving the NFC
The Eagles have a bunch of veterans who will be free agents and Jalen has one more year before his rookie contract. So this is their opportunity to win it. Though if Jalen really is a second team all pro caliber player, they will be in the playoffs for years to come with a chance to win. Need to seize chance though. Going to be very difficult but I think home field and Jalen will be the difference that eeks out a win. Im not a neutral in the game but if I was this is probably the best NFC championship matchup since Niners/Seahawks a decade ago.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
SF would be scary if they had those extra 3 picks in their lineup that they have given up so far for Lance with a first rounder to come.

Philly, they will need to reload with Kelce nearing the end but they drafted a C in round 2 last draft and Lane Johnson has indicated he’s looking at the end as well, but they can solve his slot with that 10OA pick from NO. They have vets on short term deals who need to either be re-signed or replaced. So, there isn’t this major runway for them as Hurts is in year 3 and next season is the final one on his rookie deal.

How isn’t SF already scary?

They aren’t and won’t be paying anything for Purdy.
As bad as the Lance deal went Purdy is making it sting far less.

All Aiyuk/Kittle/Deebo/Bosa/McCaffrey/ are in their primes and they are spending 800K on QB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

All Aiyuk/Kittle/Deebo/Bosa/McCaffrey/ are in their primes and they are spending 800K on QB
Left out “more”. Either they could have taken someone like OT Slater to bookend their OL or a CB or other positions. 2 starters with their firsts and a rotation or sub package player with the third, would make The roster scarier.

OT Williams is a key player. Rams were lost without Witworth this past season. So if they stayed out and drafted Slater they’d have his replacement on the Left side in time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Eagles have a bunch of veterans who will be free agents and Jalen has one more year before his rookie contract. So this is their opportunity to win it. Though if Jalen really is a second team all pro caliber player, they will be in the playoffs for years to come with a chance to win. Need to seize chance though. Going to be very difficult but I think home field and Jalen will be the difference that eeks out a win. Im not a neutral in the game but if I was this is probably the best NFC championship matchup since Niners/Seahawks a decade ago.

How many teams are in a better place in the NFC?

Super Bowl caliber roster, with 24y franchise QB& top10 pick.

Cowboys have a worse roster, worse cap, worse QB, worse pick in comparison.
Buccs will hit the decline button post Brady.
Packers are a complete mystery.

Rams need a lot of retooling and their pick is in Detroit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Rosman has done a great job of finding veterans to supplement the roster. He will have to continue to do that when the time comes to pay Hurts.

The 10th pick in the draft looks to be a spot where they can secure an OT. That seems like when the first one or two go off the board. With Lane Johnson mentioning that his time is nearing and end despite being like 3 years younger than Kelce, he may call it a career sooner rather than later.

Reactions: BB88

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

The Eagles will lose Bradberry (2nd team All pro), probably Hargrave (played at an pro level) CJGJ, Edwards, Cox, and Miles Sanders. Kelce and BG might retire too. So they will lose alot, but I do agree with your point. The NFC as of now is down and potentially having a 24 year MVP caliber quarterback who will only improve means they should be in a position to make the playoffs and maybe the Super Bowl year in and year out. All the quarterbacks currently are in the AFC.

I think Detroit is going to be good, maybe not so much next year but the years following. The Giants have Daboll, so I expect them to keep on getting better. But the NFL changes so fast. In December of 2015 the Eagles sacked Chip and were in disarray, 26 months later they won the Super Bowl. Same with two years ago. They won 4 games and hired a guy who we all thought was clueless. So much can change in a short time.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Eagles offensive line, provided they stay reasonably healthy, will always make their floor higher than it otherwise would be. They have reloaded that already, their starting LT never even played football before getting drafted, and he’s already a pro bowl alternate.

• Wow
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wasn't Howie Roseman a dead man walking for a good while there in Philly?

They are very scary. I think the point is is that's incredible considering the colossal f***up the Trey Lance trade seems to be at this point.

Reactions: BB88

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Eagles have been a bit prone to giving up early points, so they will be a key in the first quarter. Can the 49ers score first? Can they get 10-14 points in the first 20 minutes? I’m not convinced the winner gets more than 20 so I think it’s important. Although I said that in the Eagles/Vikings game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Eagles have been a bit prone to giving up early points, so they will be a key in the first quarter. Can the 49ers score first? Can they get 10-14 points in the first 20 minutes? I’m not convinced the winner gets more than 20 so I think it’s important. Although I said that in the Eagles/Vikings game.
Thinking this is going to be a 20-16/17 type of game.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I'd worry a bit about assuming Purdy is a long-term solution. He's played well, but we have watched a number of young QBs step in and play well for half a season before defenses start taking away what they like to do.

Purdy is making a lot of plays throwing to the middle of the field where Shanahan's system and Kittle's amazing ability makes those throws more available than they should be.

Maybe he is that guy. It would be good for the league if we was because we need more good NFL QBs, but he also so far has beat up a string of bad teams until last week when he played his first higher end defense where he won but saw his offenses performance slow quite a bit. He's now about to face an even better defense on the road.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd worry a bit about assuming Purdy is a long-term solution. He's played well, but we have watched a number of young QBs step in and play well for half a season before defenses start taking away what they like to do.

Purdy is making a lot of plays throwing to the middle of the field where Shanahan's system and Kittle's amazing ability makes those throws more available than they should be.

Maybe he is that guy. It would be good for the league if we was because we need more good NFL QBs, but he also so far has beat up a string of bad teams until last week when he played his first higher end defense where he won but saw his offenses performance slow quite a bit. He's now about to face an even better defense on the road.
As a non first round QB, you don’t get many opportunities to show your skills. 9/32 starting QBs this season were not first round selections.

Plenty of former first rounders get second and third opportunities simply due to the number of starts they have had in their careers.

Purdy has to continue to make the most of his shot. Still has Trey Lance hanging over him. Purdy is on a cheap deal so very easy for SF to keep him on the roster for the next 3 seasons along with Lance. But if he plays well, he has a chance to convince SF to stick with him and move on from Lance. Purdy can lose the game and still be the SF starter if he plays at least solid like he did vs Dallas, but he can’t lose the game and play poorly.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

Detroit is in a good spot now , they are freaking good. Odd ehh?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

Nick Foles comes to mind.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As a non first round QB, you don’t get many opportunities to show your skills. 9/32 starting QBs this season were not first round selections.

Plenty of former first rounders get second and third opportunities simply due to the number of starts they have had in their careers.

Purdy has to continue to make the most of his shot. Still has Trey Lance hanging over him. Purdy is on a cheap deal so very easy for SF to keep him on the roster for the next 3 seasons along with Lance. But if he plays well, he has a chance to convince SF to stick with him and move on from Lance. Purdy can lose the game and still be the SF starter if he plays at least solid like he did vs Dallas, but he can’t lose the game and play poorly.
He can play poorly and lose this game and still be the starter. It’s the Eagles in the championship game where no rookie QB has won this game. Next year’s starting job is his to lose then unless a more proven option falls into their lap.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I’m not even expecting Purdy to be a franchise QB.
That SF roster is just that good and when you are paying your QB less than a mill you can keep all of the guys.

Garoppolo basically got SF to super bowl while throwing a total of 1-2 TD’s and SF is 8-2 in games where Garoppolo throws 0 TD’s or something ridiculous like that.
Basically QB’s task in SF is just to not lose the game for them, especially with the McCaffrey addition.

& they still have Lance as a backup, we don’t know how far he can develop

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Eagles will lose Bradberry (2nd team All pro), probably Hargrave (played at an pro level) CJGJ, Edwards, Cox, and Miles Sanders. Kelce and BG might retire too. So they will lose alot, but I do agree with your point. The NFC as of now is down and potentially having a 24 year MVP caliber quarterback who will only improve means they should be in a position to make the playoffs and maybe the Super Bowl year in and year out. All the quarterbacks currently are in the AFC.

I think Detroit is going to be good, maybe not so much next year but the years following. The Giants have Daboll, so I expect them to keep on getting better. But the NFL changes so fast. In December of 2015 the Eagles sacked Chip and were in disarray, 26 months later they won the Super Bowl. Same with two years ago. They won 4 games and hired a guy who we all thought was clueless. So much can change in a short time.

Detroit is in a good spot now , they are freaking good. Odd ehh?
Detroit& Giants could be good but they both have still lot of question marks.

As good as Daniel Jones was this year he threw just 15 TD’s in the regular season.
How far can he actually lead a team and how misleading was that Vikings game?
Everyone knew if there was a fraud contender this year it was the Vikings.

I just feel that both of Eagles& SF are set to be the top teams for the near future in the NFC.
It’s going to go through a rebuild

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

If I had to guess, you'll move Dickerson to C if Kelce retires.

I don't think losing Sanders will impact you guys that much.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Today is the day. I think I expect this game to maybe go like a heavyweight fight, first few drives the teams are feeling each other out and then we get fireworks.

If I had to guess, you'll move Dickerson to C if Kelce retires.

I don't think losing Sanders will impact you guys that much.
They drafted Jurgens last year for center. They will probably lose Seumalo too but if Kelce doesnt retire I guess Jurgens will play guard. Sanders has had a great year and probably has priced himself out but I do agree. As long as their oline is healthy they can probably replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad