WJC: 2022 Germany roster talk

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He should prioritize AHL over WJC, because he is too good for U20 category (already playing against men's last year in the DEL) and by playing in the AHL he will make better case for eventual NHL call-up.

What makes it such a shame for Germany, and theoretically this should be in the back of the mind of any high level player coming from a nation facing the threat of relegation at every single tournament, is that Peterka and Reichel were just about THE guarantee that Germany wouldn't be relegated this year. Heck, they might have been enough to see the team finish third in the group.

Now the threat of relegation is very real.

And it would be an absolute waste for this program in light of the kids who will be coming into question for the U20 team over the next few years.

For players of Peterka and Reichel's caliber coming from the Germanys and Austrias and Latvias and Denmarks, etc., of the world, what "you" mean to your nation should usually trump any short-term hopes with respect to your pro career.

Seen differently, if and when Peterka and Reichel reach the NHL really won't be affected in the least in the grand scheme of things by spending two weeks at the WJC.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Is this guy Quapp considered the next number one goalie for Germany after Grubauer? I´ve heard some hype about him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Niederberger is the factual number one, but he (and Grubauer) are more than a decade older so someone else needs to come before even if Quapp eventually does make it.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Niederberger is the factual number one, but he (and Grubauer) are more than a decade older so someone else needs to come before even if Quapp eventually does make it.

The good thing is that we have one promising goalie in almost every birthyear from 1998 forward, who could give us at least decent goaltending.

1998 - Pantkowski
2000 - Hane
2001 - Ancicka
2002 - Bugl
2003 - Quapp

I also still have some hope for Reich, Weitzmann and Franzreb. Luckily goalies tend to play way into their 30s, which should give the younger ones enough time to step up.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Prioritizing the AHL over the World Juniors is a really bad look.

Is the best option the can take. The AHL Hockey Level is far better then a U20. So what achievment should they get from this Tournament.
I have full respect for the personal development, since its looking this national Team has some foundation struggling or Issues.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In the AHL you can learn to play physical against men, in the WJC excel against the best of your own generation. More than anything the WJC can be a major boost in confidence and open doors also in the NHL.

Reactions: AB13

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Is the best option the can take. The AHL Hockey Level is far better then a U20. So what achievment should they get from this Tournament.
I have full respect for the personal development, since its looking this national Team has some foundation struggling or Issues.

Do you really think a few games at WJC effect the development of a player positive or negative . I doubt.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Do you really think a few games at WJC effect the development of a player positive or negative . I doubt.

No it won´t. It can lift you up and drop you down. Perfect Example would be former Panther Prospect Lundell. Who played a insane good U20 and get on a lot of radar, sure he had also a good Season in the Finnish League. But from the u20, he get invited into national Team and also played great in the national level. He really got lifted. Some other Prospect in that Tournament, falled from top 10 into top 30 Pick.

Also Players who has a good Game against tough Opponent take something out of it as a single achievment.
So yes it is possible.

In the matter of my prior Post. When you play against Men is somethign complete different then play junior Level. Another example physical Way, a german player checkeda czech player heavy on opne Ice get 2 Minutes for roughing. In an AHL Game the maybe most possible outcome, a cheer from the crowd.

Also the form and art of Hockey from AHL and U20 is something complete different. AHL has more speed, structure. Special when you see how german Roster is playing. Its not easy for german Hockey Player to stay in the NHL mostly normal Player leave when the are 30 or earlier.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lutz, Hänelt, Stutzle, Reichel, Peterka...5 very good players that could be added to an already good team. Germany can take medal.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lutz and Hauf showed how good they are in the U18 WC.

Stutzle - Reichel - Peterka
Lutz - F.Elias - Hauf
Hänelt - Blank - Volek
Samanski - Rutkowski - Leonhardt

The best german offensive ever in WJC?

Reactions: jaro

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Lutz and Hauf showed how good they are in the U18 WC.

Stutzle - Reichel - Peterka
Lutz - F.Elias - Hauf
Hänelt - Blank - Volek

The best german offensive ever in WJC?
No shot Stützle plays the WJC and I doubt Peterka and Reichel play also. We’ll see however.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think its a big chance. Tournament is in summer. NHL starts oct.
Understand that, but Stützle is an NHLer, when you’re in the NHL you don’t go backwards and play against boys after putting up 58 points in the NHL against men it’s redundant for your development, he’ll be too dominant doesn’t have anything left to prove at the u20 level.
He’ll also be entertaining a contract year, and won’t want to get injured. Zero chance he’ll suit up for Germany at the u20’s.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Without big 3:

Lutz - F.Elias - Hauf
Hänelt - Blank - Volek
Schweiger - Roßmy - Borzecki
Kechter

Chompskiii

Mar 29, 2020
Without big 3:

Lutz - F.Elias - Hauf
Hänelt - Blank - Volek
Kechter
Yeah, no chance Hauf is playing on the first line.

Also I wonder if Philip Feist gets a look, and maybe Samuel Dube if he is looking good after his injury.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Without big 3:

Lutz - F.Elias - Hauf
Hänelt - Blank - Volek
Kechter

This is for the WJC being held in the summer, right?

I think the Schweiger-Samanski-Volek line sticks together, unless Schweiger is one of the guys who is replaced. Otherwise, don't see that being pulled apart.

I also think it's going to be real hard leaving off some of the guys who were there in the winter, although a healthy Lutz has to be added, and I'd think Kechter too.

Don't see Hauf there in the summer, much less on the first line. In addition, I think the program holds more esteem for Eham than the average fan might think.

Also, not sure what the program's current relationship is with Hänelt. I know the split with Berlin wasn't totally clean, but yes, Hänelt was scheduled to captain the U18 team that took part in the event in Texas. If healthy, then likely.

More interesting for me is the blueline. I can see the team adding Bettahar and Hübner. Szuber, Klein, and Münzenberger will definitely be cogs. Glötzl and Dziambor would have to be viewed as likely. Dunno about the rest.

Goaltending should remain as is. Unless Simon Wolf is somehow drafted. That may throw some intrigue into it, considering he was the #1 for the U18 team and already has a relationship with Bugl.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
I find it interesting to rank Klein ahead of Dziambor or Glötzl.

Münzenberger, Szuber, Glötzl and Dziambor are safe for the WJC U18. Geibel as good as safe. Pilu would have to be with after a strong season. Then Leon van der Linde has made with good performances on itself. Bettahar can be thought about, but basically you do not need him in the defense.

Klein and Stowasser are alternatives. However, they are not at the top of the rankings.

In the end, it's a question of how far the federation deviates from its usual practice of letting a few final-year players go over the edge in favor of experience for future regulars, or sending the best team available after all. And then there are the clubs that would love to put one or two players in showcases.

The team will certainly not be completely identical to the team of the aborted WJC U20.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I find it interesting to rank Klein ahead of Dziambor or Glötzl.

Münzenberger, Szuber, Glötzl and Dziambor are safe for the WJC U18. Geibel as good as safe. Pilu would have to be with after a strong season. Then Leon van der Linde has made with good performances on itself. Bettahar can be thought about, but basically you do not need him in the defense.

I hear you, but Klein was the youngest member of last year's squad and was an assistant captain for the U18 the spring before. And he is one of the biggest players and has been playing pro since he was 16.

Just not sure if the program would deem it necessary to invest in players like Dziambor, Glötzl, and Pilu at this juncture? There are two WJCs in this calendar year. It's very unique, to say the least.

So using the first one to be nice and ready for the second one would be the soundest way to go about it. And all three of the aforementioned Dmen are aged out by December.

Which brings us to...

Klein and Stowasser are alternatives. However, they are not at the top of the rankings.

In the end, it's a question of how far the federation deviates from its usual practice of letting a few final-year players go over the edge in favor of experience for future regulars, or sending the best team available after all. And then there are the clubs that would love to put one or two players in showcases.

The team will certainly not be completely identical to the team of the aborted WJC U20.

Yes, true. This year's U18 was a prime example. They decided to include a number of kids, particularly on the blueline, who don't look like they're really part of the DEB future instead of going with a few underagers who not only could have been groomed for next year's event, but already look to be as good or even better than the kids they nominated here.

And the one underager they did nominate and play (Tropmann) ended up playing pretty big minutes by the time all was said and done. Coach Dück was full of praise for him.

As I understand it, there are another 3-4 Dmen who are every bit as good and promising as Tropmann at this juncture, but I'll digress.

As far as the August edition is concerned, there's no really convincing reason to take the same team to the event. But there also aren't a ton of younger options that would have the team as competitive, much less improved. They should be there for the sake of the December event, by all means.

I think Lutz, Hänelt, Kechter, Bettahar, and Hübner have the best chance at that while Wolf might be brought along for the sake of the U20 in December.

Sure, Hauf could be in there and the DEB seems to be high on Oswald, who may be heading to the USHL this season.

Last edited:

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Your thoughts are ok so far, only it won't happen the way you think ;-)

National coach Tobias Abstreiter was present at the WJC U18 and he was anything but pleased with the performance of the 2003 vintage. For a good reason, because the age group not only lags behind the 2002 age group in terms of play.

Usually, the DEB follows this scheme for the better younger years: 5 defensemen of older age, 2 defensemen of younger age. In August I would put my money on i.e. Szuber, Glötzl, Dziambor, Pilu, Geibel, Klein, van der Linde. Szuber, Glötzl and Dziambor will be definitely in the team, in all cases.

So it won't be the same team in August, but great upheavals can be ruled out.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Your thoughts are ok so far, only it won't happen the way you think ;-)

National coach Tobias Abstreiter was present at the WJC U18 and he was anything but pleased with the performance of the 2003 vintage. For a good reason, because the age group not only lags behind the 2002 age group in terms of play.

And he shouldn't have been.

But where did you hear this?

If you ask me personally, I didn't see a 2003 defender who could seriously compete with a 2002 defender. Usually, the DEB follows this scheme for the better younger years: 5 defensemen of older age, 2 defensemen of younger age. In August I would put my money on i.e. Szuber, Glötzl, Dziambor, Pilu, Geibel, Klein, van der Linde. Szuber, Glötzl and Dziambor will be definitely in the team, in all cases.

So it won't be the same team in August, but great upheavals can be ruled out.

I'm very curious why you keep mentioning van der Linde?

What has you thinking that he'd block the path of, for example, a very physical Bettahar with more North American experience than most all contestants and a riser in Niklas Hübner, who not only got in 10 DEL games this year, but clearly was one of the few U18 players with a modicum of understanding what it means to face the established ice hockey countries at this age group.

In addition, you naturally oversaw Münzenberger in your listing of the 7 Dmen you see being there in August.

And whatever pattern has been followed or is more common in deciding what age groups are there, this year's situation is extremely unique. WJC in August and December - if teams are going to plan differently, this is the year it's going to happen.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
I'll write down what goes through my mind when I read the articles about the U20 and U18 national teams.

I don't share the high esteem for the German 2003 vintage. There's too much hype about the draft here for me, and we all know how the 2002 draft turned out. According to unanimous expert opinion, the 2002 draft is far superior to the 2003 draft, both at the top and across the board. I agree with that assessment, and the 2003 vintage failed to prove otherwise at this year's WJC. Abstreiter pretty much folded the U18 team for their performances. Several players confirmed that to me.

Bettahar was certainly a minor bright spot in this, but I don't see him seriously stealing a 2002 defender's spot. So far he's only made the call-up list, as have Lutz, Kechter and Rausch. Adrian Klein, Rosmy, Cimmerman, Hauf and the Heigl brothers are in camp. Those are the facts. Huebner is not on any list so far and I'm holding back on his quality because I haven't seen him consciously this season. It's still a while until WJC and maybe one or the other will slip into the team. Some of the supposed stars should take this as a damper. The truth is on the ice and not in the draft hype.

The high estimation of Paul Meyer I also think is a hype, because he is hyped by the clubs as the son of an ex-national player and U-Coach. That's the way it is in Germany. First the name, then the performance. I think he is a good player, but if he is drafted, then I wonder what was wrong with a Glötzl, because he does not have his level.

Because we are talking about Glötzl. He flies under the radar because he doesn't jump into the offensive zone with full risk, like a Münzenberger or Szuber do. Glötzl plays his defensive part like a seasoned pro and not like a junior player. Defensively very strong and offensively he has the weapons to match Münzenberger and Szuber. He just follows the coaches' instructions and doesn't see the point of being a third defender up front, because he's all about the team's success and not about his personal shine. While this detracts from his self-promotion, it is in keeping with his personality.
On a side note, although Elias was the official captain of the U20, it was Glötzl who led the team in reality. He proved his leadership quality at the last WJC. He just doesn't take himself too seriously to highlight that.

Leon van der Linde I have seen several times. He impresses with a safe and very detached game structure and good positional play. So far only in DEL2 and Oberliga, but he has all the skills to have a good pro career. The hype around Meyer puts him in the shade. For me, van der Linde is the dark horse. I may be wrong, but we'll soon find out, because van der Linde has been invited to the U20 camp.

Basically, I think that in the forum too much emphasis is placed on statistics and affiliation to a particular team. According to the motto is he in Mannheim or in a North American league under contract, then he must be a rocket. Reality teaches us better. Many a North American returnee has gone under after returning to Germany or has only made the leap into the professional ranks for a short time, and not only high draft picks come from Mannheim.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad