WJC: 2022 Germany roster talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hänelt is injured and both Peterka and Reichel are doing really well in the AHL and could be called up soon to the NHL.
Reichel may be injured as well.
Basically, their NHL teams have chosen not to loan them (yet).
Bug blow for Germany but we have seen it before.

And why was Lutz not choosen ?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Still injured, although none of Kechter, Hauf or Hafenrichter were chosen either (Germany’s best 04’s).
Seems like they want 18/19 year olds for this years team.
I think that’s smart, if there is no guarantee of Peterka and Reichel, the game with Austria could certainly be a toss up. Taking an older team could help with acquiring the QF spot over what seems to be a pretty young Austrian team.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Hänelt is injured and both Peterka and Reichel are doing really well in the AHL and could be called up soon to the NHL.
Reichel may be injured as well.
Basically, their NHL teams have chosen not to loan them (yet).
Bug blow for Germany but we have seen it before.
Could be mistaken, but I think it's typical of NHL teams to wait to release. We have nearly 2 weeks before we know for sure whether they will actually be withheld or not.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Did Reichel and Peterka just decline invitations to play AHL hockey? Would be really really strange.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Here is the translated quote from the article about Peterka and Reichel:

“John-Jason Peterka (Rochester Americans) and Lukas Reichel (Rockford IceHogs) do not join the U20 national team after consultation with the DEB. Both strikers are currently convincing with strong performances in the AHL and thus hope for the leap into the NHL.”

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Here is the translated quote from the article about Peterka and Reichel:

“John-Jason Peterka (Rochester Americans) and Lukas Reichel (Rockford IceHogs) do not join the U20 national team after consultation with the DEB. Both strikers are currently convincing with strong performances in the AHL and thus hope for the leap into the NHL.”
Prioritizing the AHL over the World Juniors is a really bad look.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm curious why you think that?
Playing for your national team should generally be a high priority. The WJC is a big tournament as well and very prestigeus. I lose a little respect for players who never ever accept World Championship invitations.

I think the world juniors should be a real best on best tournament really. I think U20 NHL regulars should miss like 10 NHL games in the seasons they are WJC elgible to play in the tournament

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Playing for your national team should generally be a high priority. The WJC is a big tournament as well and very prestigeus. I lose a little respect for players who never ever accept World Championship invitations.

I think the world juniors should be a real best on best tournament really. I think U20 NHL regulars should miss like 10 NHL games in the seasons they are WJC elgible to play in the tournament

Sure, it's overrated big time by the canadian media.

He should prioritize AHL over WJC, because he is too good for U20 category (already playing against men's last year in the DEL) and by playing in the AHL he will make better case for eventual NHL call-up.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Still injured, although none of Kechter, Hauf or Hafenrichter were chosen either (Germany’s best 04’s).
Seems like they want 18/19 year olds for this years team.

Seems like Samuel Dube is injured aswell. He would probaly make the team if healthy.

Moritz Elias is another 04.

He should prioritize AHL over WJC, because he is too good for U20 category (already playing against men's last year in the DEL) and by playing in the AHL he will make better case for eventual NHL call-up.

WJC is huge in Sweden aswell. Lots of media covering and fans watching it. It has become a christmas/new years eve tradition to watch it. And not just Swedens games. Almost all games form the tournament is broadcasted in Sweden, year after year.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

The World Juniors mean so much more than playing meaningless NHL regular season games in January.

Last edited:

RAlfie35

Apr 8, 2019
The World Juniors mean so much more than playing meaningless NHL regular season games in January.
I heard that with the recent increase in league-wide COVID cases and teams dealing with multiple injuries, teams are reluctant to loan players fearing that they may need callups. More control for Buffalo with Peterka and Chicago with Reichel having them close as opposed to away competing at an international tournament. I know in Buffalo's case, there had to be a discussion about what Peterka had left to prove at the Junior level after back to back stellar tournaments.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I heard that with the recent increase in league-wide COVID cases and teams dealing with multiple injuries, teams are reluctant to loan players fearing that they may need callups. More control for Buffalo with Peterka and Chicago with Reichel having them close as opposed to away competing at an international tournament. I know in Buffalo's case, there had to be a discussion about what Peterka had left to prove at the Junior level after back to back stellar tournaments.
Call up someone else then. Not guys who can play in some of the most memorable games of their lives. Buffalo can call up Quinn or Krebs instead, Chicago can call up Nylander.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Germany went from being a legit challenger to play in the Round Robin with JJ and Lukas to now they’re likey playing to avoid relegation unfortunately. Same story in 2015 with Draisaitl unfortunately.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
A shame team is depletet missing the best players. A chance for the others to step up. Unfortunatly we will fight relegation with that team.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just to add a little more information regarding the absence of Peterka and Reichel. I watched an interview with the coach Tobias Abstreiter who explained it like this:

Lukas Reichel chose to opt out of the WJC because the Hawks told him that there may be a chance for him to play in the NHL soon, possibly even during the time of the tournament, and he did not want to risk not being available should the chance to play in the NHL present itself. But the Hawks had given him the green light to play at the WJC if he wanted to.
With Peterka things were slightly different. He wanted to play, if the Sabres allowed it, but the Sabres said no. Mostly because they do not want to lose a player given the uncertainties with COVID. If they were to lose a number of players to COVID protocol, they want all their best options available in the AHL for eventual call ups.

Can't really blame either player or either team here.

Another interesting tidbit from the interview was, at least for me, that Niklas Lunemann was somebody the coach did not really have on his radar for this tournament before he became a late addition to the roster for the tournament in Norway a few weeks ago.

The interview was obviously in German, but if anybody is interested it is on youtube:

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Elias and Blank top guys? Maybe put them together to make a dangerous line?

Elias - Blank - Samanski

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Make sure Peterka and Reichel doesnt play in the Olympic Games then.

"Hawks told him that there may be a chance for him to play in the NHL soon, possibly even during the time of the tournament" Classic manipulation. Its like when your girlfriend says "do whatever you want" but you know damn well that you are dumb not to do as she wishes.

Reactions: jaro and Statsy

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, the team is on its way to Edmonton and the two players cut from the preliminary roster were goalie Arno Tiefensee and defenseman Tim Sezemsky.
Florian Elias has been named captain.

The final roster:
Pos.Nr.NameVornameGeb.-Dat.Verein 2021/2022
GK29BuglFlorian14.05.2002Red Bull Hockey Juniors
GK31LunemannNiklas27.04.2002Kölner Haie/EC Bad Nauheim
GK30QuappNikita25.01.2003Krefeld Pinguine
DF6BöttnerJustus17.05.2002Balck Dragons Erfurt
DF16DziamborArkadiusz31.01.2002Adler Mannheim/Heilbronner Falken
DF11GeibelKorbinian08.07.2002Lausitzer Füchse
DF22GlötzlMaximilian16.05.2002Kölner Haie/EC Bad Nauheim
DF28Klein Adrian19.09.2003Straubing Tigers/EV Landshut
DF15MünzenbergerLuca24.11.2002University of Vermont
DF17PiluFabrizio31.10.2002Nürnberg Ice Tigers
DF4SzuberMaksymilian25.08.2002Red Bull München
FW24BlankAlexander04.02.2002Krefeld Pinguine
FW20BorzeckiJakub17.01.2002Red Bull Salzburg
FW3BurghartYannik04.04.2002ESV Kaufbeuren
FW13DunhamNoah14.05.2002Heilbronner Falken/Adler Mannheim
FW18EhamJosef29.07.2002Red Bull Hockey Juniors
FW7EliasFlorian07.08.2002Adler Mannheim
FW23HeiglThomas20.01.2003Red Bull München
FW10LeonhardtDanjo22.08.2002Red Bull Hockey Salzburg
FW19PetersenJussi03.07.2002Dresdner Eislöwen
FW27RoßmyBennet01.08.2003Eisbären Berlin/Lausitzer Füchse
FW12RutkowskiMaciej02.10.2002Krefeld Pinguine
FW8SamanskiJoshua22.03.2002Straubing Tigers
FW26SchweigerMarkus31.08.2002ESV Kaufbeuren
FW9VolekJustin08.02.2002Krefeld Pinguine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Maksymilian Szuber and Maximilian Glötzl named "A".

None of the 2003 defenders have been convincing or are on par with the 2002 defenders performance-wise, so no one is on the squad. This is a heavy burden for the 2023 WJC.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Tragic news: Niclas Kaus, talented German youth national teams player, passed away Thursday evening. Kaus suffered fatal head injury in a game on December 18th, the doctors were fighting for his life but his injury was too severe. He was just 18 years old. This is the kind of news which makes any score look completely unimportant.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Maksymilian Szuber and Maximilian Glötzl named "A".

None of the 2003 defenders have been convincing or are on par with the 2002 defenders performance-wise, so no one is on the squad. This is a heavy burden for the 2023 WJC.

Except Adrian Klein.
But yes the D next year will probably feature several 2oo4 defenders and maybe even a 2005.

If they manage to avoid relegation this year, I am pretty sure they will go down next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad