WJC: 2022 Germany roster talk

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Germany was missing 2 of their best ‘05’s in Edwin Tropmann and Paul Vinzens.
I would asume the other teams are also missing a bunch of players, but I don't know?

Mayer, Tropmann and Vinzens in particular we may see taken in the top 2 or 3 rounds of their NHL drafts which is exiting for German hockey.
Are there any surefire draft picks on this team? No, but Paul Mayer, Kevin Bicker and Linus Brandl did well, and so did Dean Döge. They all have shown well enought at this level that I would not rule them out as possible draft picks, just yet. Especially when you consider that Mayer and Döge are 2024 eligible (same goes for Tropmann and Vinzens).
Interesting that two of the three players GermanSpitfire considers round 2-3 prospects are only in a "perhaps possible parantheses" with Maverick41. It will be interesting to see whom of you are right.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I would asume the other teams are also missing a bunch of players, but I don't know?

Interesting that two of the three players GermanSpitfire considers round 2-3 prospects are only in a "perhaps possible parantheses" with Maverick41. It will be interesting to see whom of you are right.
Mav likes to be conservative with his predictions which I respect and understand.

I prefer to shoot from the hip and change my expectations on the players leading up to the drafts.

Reactions: Maverick41

Poda

Jul 31, 2020
Maverick had Lutz for instance rated as „later rounds maybe even undrafted” iirc. He went early 2nd. No slight to him whatsoever he just likes to be conservative with his prediction especially based on limited viewings.

Germany switzerland and slovakia were all pretty outmatched this tournament. That doesnt prevent them from having sustainable draft picks in the upcoming years.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am curious if you still feel the German 2005 breed is placed 2nd on this list after having seen them get wiped out at Hlinka Gretzky Cup?

I took a look at the team and I don't actually see any obvious draft prospects on the team. But it might be that you feel the depth of the 2005's are better than other years, I don't know?

It's a good year from an individual skills standpoint and the depth thereof. Haven't been this many kids worth following this winter in a while.

The scouts won't be reading too much into the Hlinka results for a nation like Germany. They all know the holdbacks and limitations for the German program at this level. A 4-1 loss to Finland and what should have only been a 5-1 loss to the US actually means the team is treading water better than it did at last year's event.

Among those who have surely gained some space in the scouts' notebooks are, in addition to the thus far very strong Bicker, also Schreiner, Rückdaschel, and Jakovlev. Sumpf should have been the best of the group from an offensive standpoint, but his game has been too "perimeter" thus far, even if he has shown some solid hands and instincts in the offensive zone.

Bosecker has been about the best defenseman and he's first eligible for the 2024 draft.

Hard to say if they're keen on Döge, who came in as the number 3, but had strong showings in part-time duty the first two games, then was quite impressive in the 4-1 loss to Finland, in which only one of the goals against was, well, less than ideal.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Goal scorers were Blank, Munzenberger and Szuber - Blank finished with 2 points.

Germany was leading 3-2 until mid way though the third when Slovakia tied it up on a power play.

Then with 2:34 left in the third, Slovakia scored to go up by one, and they ended up scoring an empty netter.

It was a winnable game but we were our own worst enemy’s.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Loss to Latvia too in their final pre-tournament game and the second straight game where we lost in the final stages of the third period.

We’re so lucky there isn’t relegation this year… next year not so much….

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It's a good year from an individual skills standpoint and the depth thereof. Haven't been this many kids worth following this winter in a while.

The scouts won't be reading too much into the Hlinka results for a nation like Germany. They all know the holdbacks and limitations for the German program at this level. A 4-1 loss to Finland and what should have only been a 5-1 loss to the US actually means the team is treading water better than it did at last year's event.

Among those who have surely gained some space in the scouts' notebooks are, in addition to the thus far very strong Bicker, also Schreiner, Rückdaschel, and Jakovlev. Sumpf should have been the best of the group from an offensive standpoint, but his game has been too "perimeter" thus far, even if he has shown some solid hands and instincts in the offensive zone.

Bosecker has been about the best defenseman and he's first eligible for the 2024 draft.

Hard to say if they're keen on Döge, who came in as the number 3, but had strong showings in part-time duty the first two games, then was quite impressive in the 4-1 loss to Finland, in which only one of the goals against was, well, less than ideal.
Surprised you mention Jakovlev here. I thought his effort level was high but saw very little skill from him. Obviously difficult when the whole team is completely outmatched, but others managed to at least show flashes, which I didn’t think Jakovlev did.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Surprised you mention Jakovlev here. I thought his effort level was high but saw very little skill from him. Obviously difficult when the whole team is completely outmatched, but others managed to at least show flashes, which I didn’t think Jakovlev did.

Without having seen all of games 1 and 2, and none of the contest against Switzerland (there aren't even any highlights), it jumped out at me that Jakovlev could get into the offensive zone with puck control, make his way to the net, and - when necessary - turn up and dish it off to the next player coming in.

Which is more than half the team could do with any regularity. He was also one of the brawnier players out there for Germany in his corner battles.

I'm thinking that in a group of bland, bland, bland, the scouts watching took note of his simple game that he was regularly able to put on display. Many in the business have time for a kid who bumps shoulders and keeps his game simple and, with that, doesn't stick out with glaring errors half the time.

Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Without having seen all of games 1 and 2, and none of the contest against Switzerland (there aren't even any highlights), it jumped out at me that Jakovlev could get into the offensive zone with puck control, make his way to the net, and - when necessary - turn up and dish it off to the next player coming in.

Which is more than half the team could do with any regularity. He was also one of the brawnier players out there for Germany in his corner battles.

I'm thinking that in a group of bland, bland, bland, the scouts watching took note of his simple game that he was regularly able to put on display. Many in the business have time for a kid who bumps shoulders and keeps his game simple and, with that, doesn't stick out with glaring errors half the time.

Just my .02 cents.
Appreciate the insight. I don’t think teams actually look for players who “don’t suck” more than anything but who knows. I agree that he stood out more than most but I didn’t see any actual upside.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Appreciate the insight. I don’t think teams actually look for players who “don’t suck” more than anything but who knows. I agree that he stood out more than most but I didn’t see any actual upside.

Simply "making a scout's notebook" in this sense basically means they'll check out his file at InStat along the way during the winter and then check up on future U18 and U20 rosters to see if he keeps popping up. If they even bother reviewing those notes.

Little more.

The onus will naturally be on him and others to consistently make noise wherever they end up playing over the course of the upcoming season.

I personally think Bicker was the only guy at this tournament to stand out in the sense that everybody noticed him and his ability to play with the big boys. They will all now actively check up on what he's doing throughout this winter.

I saw enough here to think he's going to be a dominant offensive force in the DNL (ok, not too hard to do) and may get some somewhat regular looks with Heilbronn. Could he even end up getting a few looks along the way with Mannheim?

The proof will be in the pudding. Maybe we just saw the best he has to offer for a couple of games and he's not able to hold that level?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
A
Simply "making a scout's notebook" in this sense basically means they'll check out his file at InStat along the way during the winter and then check up on future U18 and U20 rosters to see if he keeps popping up. If they even bother reviewing those notes.

Little more.

The onus will naturally be on him and others to consistently make noise wherever they end up playing over the course of the upcoming season.

I personally think Bicker was the only guy at this tournament to stand out in the sense that everybody noticed him and his ability to play with the big boys. They will all now actively check up on what he's doing throughout this winter.

I saw enough here to think he's going to be a dominant offensive force in the DNL (ok, not too hard to do) and may get some somewhat regular looks with Heilbronn. Could he even end up getting a few looks along the way with Mannheim?

The proof will be in the pudding. Maybe we just saw the best he has to offer for a couple of games and he's not able to hold that level?
Apparently Jakovlev led the team in ice time vs. Switzerland. That’ll get you noticed…

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Sorry, didn't want to create a new thread.

Is it known how many people are watching the german WJC broadcast on Magenta Sport on average?
The more I think about it, it is actually almost unbelievable that we can watch the games at 4am with german commentary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad