GDT: 2022 Free Agent Frenzy - July 13 [11 AM CT]

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yeah it sucks. Robo is a special player
He's one of my favorite sons. A good Kingston Frontenac boy. Scored 41 f***ing goals in a Rick Bowness system.

It'd be a hard decision but I honestly think I would be more comfortable with Tkachuk for 8 years over JRob.

• Wow
Reactions: Kipper 17

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
He's one of my favorite sons. A good Kingston Frontenac boy. Scored 41 f***ing goals in a Rick Bowness system.

It'd be a hard decision but I honestly think I would be more comfortable with Tkachuk for 8 years over JRob.

How is this free agent frenzy talk? Weren't you yelling at clouds in the past couple of weeks for people being off-topic?

This is the off-season baby.

:wally

• Haha
Reactions: Satan

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I wonder if Robo has given an indication of not signing what the Stars want whether it be years or dollars.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder if Robo has given an indication of not signing what the Stars want whether it be years or dollars.

Let's just assume that Sturm was saying he's aware that there's currently a gap in the negotiation about the contract for the sake of this conversation (I think there's still a chance he's speaking hypothetically/speculating about why Dallas might consider that trade).

If I was Robertson's agent, I would dig my heels in for a 3-year bridge deal. I'm betting on my client, and I'm telling him to bet on himself. I'd say the odds that he gets a massive payday in 3 years are better than it not happening. The cap will have just had a massive jump in value, and you're essentially getting paid UFA dollars at that point only being 1 year from UFA.

If I'm Nill, I'm doing everything possible to lock him up 8. I also can't imagine a scenario where Robertson is going to fall off the map, and I'm trying to avoid a potential $10+ million contract in 3 years when the cap and contracts, in general, take a leap forward. The thing that's made me wonder if Nill isn't thinking like this was him saying that Robertson should come in between $6 and $7 million. That's clearly a bridge, but maybe he was only saying that because he knew that Robertson's team was dug in on it.

The Tkachuk situation arises now. He's getting an 8-year deal right now. He wants it. I think he probably believes he'll get paid more than Johnny Hockey ... and maybe he does, but I don't think it would be significantly more. Tkachuk is also only 17 months older than Robertson. There's a cap argument to be made that if you value the players similarly, an 8-year deal to Tkachuk today in the $9.5 million range that takes the player to 32 years of age is superior to giving a bridge to Robertson at 23 then paying him a monster contract that takes him into his mid-30's that would likely be at least a couple if not more million more than what Tkachuk might get this summer.

You kind of have to think about the summer of 2025 when you talk about this deal. Potentially, hypothetically, however you want to look at it, you stand to have more money in 2025 and beyond when you're possibly a Cup contender and really getting serious.

All of this is moot if Robertson is willing to go 8 now, but like I said .. I guess it depends on how you interpret Sturm's tweet.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not ready to quit the free agent frenzy

d2eafa81-2027-448c-82e6-4e1f25c091a2_text.gif

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’m in Italy so I got the news late, we get the same internet as you guys 6 hours after

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
More like Global Weather Controller..... now u know who creat'es the Chem trails

I'd laugh, but the agency I work for licenses weather modification, and we've gotten some pretty wild conspiracy theorist tweets and emails about that kind of shit, lol.

Reactions: Satan

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So far we've seen Florida, New Jersey, St. Louis, and Carolina as the top teams confirmed to have been in on Tkachuk. Unless you count Strickland's odd random tweet about us

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Saw it on the main board that it was reported the Canucks want Klingberg but haven't been able to clear the space to sign him yet. A deal with Myers apparently mightve fallen through

Would be nice if we could help them out and take JT Miller off their hands :)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Didn't the Stars offer something like this last offseason but he wanted 7M+ back then ?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Definitely seems like Klingberg’s agent kept telling him if he waited, he’d get a better offer. It just never showed up though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad