GDT: 2022 Free Agent Frenzy - July 13 [11 AM CT]

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Pretty easy to be fired when you sign a guy up for probably the most team friendly deal in Dallas history, then f*** up his FA options for his big payday.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Didn't the Stars offer something like this last offseason but he wanted 7M+ back then ?

Klingberg wanted $60M total early last season which is why Nill gave up discussing an extension. He/his agent vastly overvalued his worth based on the Nurse and Hamilton deals without taking into account that those guys are younger and also haven't been on the decline for three straight seasons.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Klingberg wanted $60M total early last season which is why Nill gave up discussing an extension. He/his agent vastly overvalued his worth based on the Nurse and Hamilton deals without taking into account that those guys are younger and also haven't been declining for three straight seasons.

His play last season made it even worse. Can't have the worst season or your career and still expect to be paid big bucks in Free Agency.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Klingberg wanted $60M total early last season which is why Nill gave up discussing an extension. He/his agent vastly overvalued his worth based on the Nurse and Hamilton deals without taking into account that those guys are younger and also haven't been on the decline for three straight seasons.

And also signed with teams that were desperately looking for a #1 D. Heiskanen alleviates that for us, obviously.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Didn't the Stars offer something like this last offseason but he wanted 7M+ back then ?
"The Dallas Stars and general manager Jim Nill want John Klingberg to stay, and John Klingberg wants to remain a member of the Dallas Stars. But in contract negotiations like this, I guess it's always safe to say the devil is in the decimal point," Marek explained. "... I can safely report that what he's looking for is something in the neighbourhood of an eight-year contract in the mid-60s, so something between $62 million to maybe $66 million."

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bunch of rumors around Kadri to the Islanders, but the Islanders need to clear salary first before making it official

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
That Huberdeau extension—wow. It just reeks of desperation IMO. Maybe it’s the Stars fan in me (ie. Benn and Seguin deals), but in most situations you can’t hand out that kind of contract on not really pay for it later on. Only generational players should have that kind of money and term at 30 and be worth it (e.g. Ovi’s mega contract). But good for them, I guess?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That contract is not going to age well

Not even sure Huberdeau is worth that much money right now. He had by far the best year he's ever had last season at 28 on a historically good offensive Panthers team. Thats an overpayment right now that will only get worse.

Last edited:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
That Huberdeau extension—wow. It just reeks of desperation IMO. Maybe it’s the Stars fan in me (ie. Benn and Seguin deals), but in most situations you can’t hand out that kind of contract on not really pay for it later on. Only generational players should have that kind of money and term at 30 and be worth it (e.g. Ovi’s mega contract). But good for them, I guess?

Funnily enough the contract is less than what Jamie’s contract was (12,73% vs 13,01% of the cap), more than Seguin’s tho (12,39%).

What is so bad about it is that Huberdeau’s first contract year is his 30yo season. Benn’s was 3rd contract year and Seguin’s is the 4th contract year.

Last edited:

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Funnily enough the contract is less than what Jamie’s contract was (12,73% vs 13,01% of the cap), more than Seguin’s tho (12,39%).

What is so bad about it is that Huberdeau’s first contract year is his 30yo season. Benn’s was 3rd contract year and Seguin’s is the 4th contact year.
Good analysis. Now the contract looks even worse. Lol.

Reactions: Johno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad