July 13, 12 Eastern: UFA/RFA signing period opens

1657629181822.png

1657629213241.png

1657629222121.png

1657629227427.png

1657629235988.png

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'll take one Brett Kulak, please. Unless they're trading for a RD, I think he's probably the best D available that is also a reasonable target salary cap-wise. He can also play LD and RD.

My head is ridiculously massive right now with how things played out with Logan Morrison so just expect this to be manifested as well. I hope you're all satisfied.

Some of you may be disappointed, but we'll be carrying 8D this year. We're also going to be signing Chase Priskie so there is an extra RD with some potential upside. He's a 6/7 tweener right now that might have a chance at taking the next step.

The Whatsapp group may be on probation, but Jim Nill dropped that pesky restraining order and I'm in that sweet, sweet ear again.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Touches on Malkin here. Seems like he's pretty much looking for the Pavelski contract from 2019 but Penguins didn't wanna hand out $7m+.

Also mentions Burns to Dallas again, but nothing new just sorta reiterating it from yesterday. Says another option for Burns could've been Nashville but that they're all set now defensively

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That actually is new. Sunday night when the podcast was recorded, Friedman only suggested people mentioned Dallas as a possibility. That article is now stating Dallas is believed to be his preferred location. He would have accepted Nashville as well, but they already made their move.

At the very least, this is potentially a jackpot for Dallas simply if they genuinely go down the Petry or Burns path. They now have some leverage. I'm not saying they should or could do either, but if it were to happen, I'd prefer a situation like this where 2 teams want/need to move a guy knowing that Dallas has options.

Reactions: LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
San Jose GM Mike Grier admitted Monday the Sharks will try to accommodate a Brent Burns move if the defenceman wishes. Burns has a lot of control on this. He’s got a permanent residence in Texas, and it's believed Dallas is a preferred destination. It would take some cap gymnastics, however. I’d also heard Nashville as somewhere he’d like, but the Predators have made their moves.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Has Burns, Weegar, and Beauvillier "linked" to Dallas. Weegar is a new one. Has him listed as a LD/RD

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
If they go after Burns and give up Harley or some real future assets, it's going to be an Iginla type regret again. (Or Reilly Smith, or Nichushkin, or Campbell, or something like that)

But hey then again no one really flourishes here... for some reason.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Canes will get Burns I imagine. Hopefully they target Petry instead though so he's not an option for Dallas

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Copp to Carolina or Colorado I bet

LeBrun not offering anything new here but I'll post it anyways

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Has Burns, Weegar, and Beauvillier "linked" to Dallas. Weegar is a new one. Has him listed as a LD/RD

Hell yes to Weegar or Beauvillier

FLA would be monumentally stupid to trade Weegar. I cannot imagine they actually end up going through with that.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Canes will get Burns I imagine. Hopefully they target Petry instead though so he's not an option for Dallas

If Carolina is just gonna go after Burns, why wouldn't they have just kept DeAngelo...

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Financially ... there is something I didn't consider that actually would work. I think it'd be fairly attractive to a team like Arizona or Buffalo that needs to get to the cap floor. Those teams love higher cap hits with lower actual money. There would have to be a 3rd team and possibly a 2nd trade unless San Jose was willing to take Faksa.

Faksa would have to go to SJ or a different team in a separate trade. A 3rd team would have to be involved with SJ and Burns so that 50% is ultimately retained. SJ can retain some or the 3rd team could just fully retain 50%.

Let's say a floor team retained 50%. They'd be getting a fairly significant benefit of a $4 million cap hit and only owe Burns $1.5 million. For the next 2 years, they'd have a $4 million cap hit while only paying him $2.5 million. They're not going to do it for free though.

I honestly think the only way this would work is if SJ takes Faksa as the return for Burns with minimal or no other assets, and then Dallas and/or SJ have to pony up assets to the third team.

Honestly, two 37-year-old defenders would be insane, and Nill wouldn't go over $4 million for Suter. I can't see him having $10 to $12 million tied up in two 37-year-old defenders. Hell, I can't see nearly $8 million honestly, but I think Burns at $4 is the only way it would work.

It's possible, but Friedman is right, it would take some gymnastics and pretty much the TB/McDonagh situation where SJ is giving the defender away.

Reactions: LT and Kcb12345

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
If they go after Burns and give up Harley or some real future assets, it's going to be an Iginla type regret again. (Or Reilly Smith, or Nichushkin, or Campbell, or something like that)

I would not be happy with Harley going back and I would be shocked if Nill did that. Harley was the klingberg replacement. Why trade him. I think it would be more prospect based.

That being said I would make the Iginla trade every day. Dallas needed Nieuwendyk for that cup and I would take a cup over a player any day of the week.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

I don't think anyone has suggested real assets being moved for Burns. If anything, the more valuable assets will be required to make the cap work. Given what we've seen over the last month, Burns himself shouldn't be very expensive.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Jim Nill's Geriatric Dream Team

In: Malkin, Burns, and Priskie

Out: Faksa, Gurianov, and Khudobin

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Peterson-Malkin-Seguin
Benn-Johnston-Dellandrea
Studenic-Olofsson-Glendening
Kiviranta

Heiskanen-Burns
Harley-Lindell
Suter-Hakanpaa
Hanley-Priskie

Oettinger
Wedgewood

1657638731493.png

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Jim Nill's Geriatric Dream Team

In: Malkin, Burns, and Priskie

Out: Faksa, Gurianov, and Khudobin

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Peterson-Malkin-Seguin
Benn-Johnston-Dellandrea
Studenic-Olofsson-Glendening
Kiviranta

Heiskanen-Burns
Harley-Lindell
Suter-Hakanpaa
Hanley-Priskie

Oettinger
Wedgewood

View attachment 567800
I can’t believe that all fits in lol. I don’t think Robertson will get 9 million either but we’ll see!

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I can’t believe that all fits in lol. I don’t think Robertson will get 9 million either but we’ll see!

I don't think it's likely either (the $9 million), but I also like to go high with at least 1 guy just to be conservative. I don't think both Oettinger and Robertson will total $13 million ... that just feels like a safe high bar.

I'm shocked the money worked which is why for fun I posted it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I can't see Nill running 5 guys with <100 career NHL games in the bottom 7. Realistically I feel like it's Burns or Malkin, with Burns being much more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad