City of Angels
Ain't nuttin' but a G thang, baby, two loc'ed out playa's so we're crazy 🎶
'LA Kings' is the team that pays me

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 12.57.19 AM.png

Euxu.gif

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Agreed. Gabe is out of waiver options. They were not expecting him in the AHL this year because there's no way he would have cleared. Arvidsson also played in the first game of the season, so it wasn't an injury to Arvidsson that opened a spot for Gabe. Just wrong on pretty much every fact so far.
It’s worth noting that a lot of the ‘facts‘ provided from the comentators, especially for league wide teams are provided by researchers and given to the on air team as bullet points. It’s how it works in all sports, so I’d put money on it that the researchers are as much part of the problem than anyone else.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So is Dallas crap, or are we not that bad?

Also I guess Tmac IS ABLE to make in game adjustments? Or is that not a thing anymore
Or perhaps we can give credit where it is due for the current run and be rightly critical of the mess that proceeded it. They two positions shouldn’t be mutually exclusive even though 90% of posters act like they are.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He's inside the circle, not covering the point.Totally flat footed puck watching. He didn't even see Robertson until he was celebrating his goal. Doughty was there to prevent the pass, which he came very close to doing.

View attachment 630171
No, Doughty is in the wrong position. It’s a passive set up and Grundstrom covers the point, starts passively until the puck goes high.

Doughty should be central, slightly towards the back post so he can see the play unfold in front on him. If he does that he can then close Robertson and apply puck pressure accordingly. That is absolutely how the system works. He may be trying to cut out any pass but that’s not what he should be doing.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Even though Blake traded for Fiala. It’s crazy to think how much more comfortably Blake goes to bed with Fiala keeping his seat much cooler than it should be. What a fantastic player.
He's also locked him up for 7 years of his absolute prime age wise. There no mid 30s years in that contract thatll age poorly, it was a wonderful deal and the cap going up will only make it look better.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He's inside the circle, not covering the point.Totally flat footed puck watching. He didn't even see Robertson until he was celebrating his goal. Doughty was there to prevent the pass, which he came very close to doing.

View attachment 630171
In no defensive scheme that I know of do wingers cover wingers. Doughty got caught puck-watching instead of keeping his head on a swivel and picking up the forward coming into the slot. Your picture doesn't show it but Kupari had been covering Hintz, who was below the goal line.

Last edited:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

View attachment 630171
I understand where all the players were on the ice, and it doesn’t change the wingers responsibility in the defensive zone.

Drew and Kupari needed to make the switch there, and didn’t.

Wings don’t cover wings in the D zone, they just don’t, and Carl was where he needed to be.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I mean with the loser point, sure. They’ve got a +21 goal differential and 4 more wins in 1 less game. I think with consistent goaltending to start the year we’re neck-and-neck as opposed where we are now.

Well in regulation Vegas is 18-12-10 for 46pts, the Kings are 15-13-13 for 43pts. I get what you're saying, but even with the terrible non-Copley goaltending, they're right behind Vegas. The Kings could be slightly more right behind Vegas, but they're about as close to right behind Vegas as you can get.

And this isn't @ you, but the loser pt stuff annoys me. The pt everyone calls the loser pt is earned for being tied at the end of 60min. End of story. Both teams have a pt before OT starts. Just like back in the day when there was no OT. The only pt given out after regulation is for winning either OT or the SO. Back when it was 5v5 OT, both teams didn't split 2pts until the end of the 65th minute. If you scored in those 5min, you got the 2pts, the other team got 0. It was just a 5 minute continuation of the normal game. That's not what happens today.

There are 3 separate events in the NHL now. Regulation(2pts up for grabs, and split if tied), 3v3 OT(worth 1pt for winning), and the SO(worth 1pt for winning). One more different than the next. The game isn't continuing as it normally does for 5min. 4 whole players are taken off the ice as a rule. People wanted to open the game up, first with 4v4 OT, and then with everything they do now. It's not a loser pt. People want it to be because it sounds better when criticizing Mr. Anti-Canada Bettman, but it's not a loser pt.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Even though Blake traded for Fiala. It’s crazy to think how much more comfortably Blake goes to bed with Fiala keeping his seat much cooler than it should be. What a fantastic player.
And you thought it was a bad trade....but of course you did!

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Todd did a great job making adjustments tonight. That doesn't change that he hasn't done a great job of that in the past. It's not the burn you think it is either; Todd made good adjustments late in the game and the Kings did well as a result.

Credit where credit is due....he made adjustments and those adjustments worked. Hats off to him!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It’s worth noting that a lot of the ‘facts‘ provided from the comentators, especially for league wide teams are provided by researchers and given to the on air team as bullet points. It’s how it works in all sports, so I’d put money on it that the researchers are as much part of the problem than anyone else.

Sure, I’m blaming ESPN in general.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They are right behind Vegas.
Well in regulation Vegas is 18-12-10 for 46pts, the Kings are 15-13-13 for 43pts. I get what you're saying, but even with the terrible non-Copley goaltending, they're right behind Vegas. The Kings could be slightly more right behind Vegas, but they're about as close to right behind Vegas as you can get.

And this isn't @ you, but the loser pt stuff annoys me. The pt everyone calls the loser pt is earned for being tied at the end of 60min. End of story. Both teams have a pt before OT starts. Just like back in the day when there was no OT. The only pt given out after regulation is for winning either OT or the SO. Back when it was 5v5 OT, both teams didn't split 2pts until the end of the 65th minute. If you scored in those 5min, you got the 2pts, the other team got 0. It was just a 5 minute continuation of the normal game. That's not what happens today.

There are 3 separate events in the NHL now. Regulation(2pts up for grabs, and split if tied), 3v3 OT(worth 1pt for winning), and the SO(worth 1pt for winning). One more different than the next. The game isn't continuing as it normally does for 5min. 4 whole players are taken off the ice as a rule. People wanted to open the game up, first with 4v4 OT, and then with everything they do now. It's not a loser pt. People want it to be because it sounds better when criticizing Mr. Anti-Canada Bettman, but it's not a loser pt.

This is still a misrepresentation of Vegas and LA. Vegas has three more wins in regulation in one fewer game played. That’s huge. Ignoring loser points, or “tied” points, that’s a difference of six, potentially eight if Vegas wins their game in hand.

Moreover, Vegas has 23 ROWs to LA’s 18.

LA has stabilized and they’re definitely “in the hunt” but Vegas is the statistically superior team. It’s not close. And Vegas has been slumping hard while LA is hot.

This could all change, but right now Vegas is just flat out better.

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
Or perhaps we can give credit where it is due for the current run and be rightly critical of the mess that proceeded it. They two positions shouldn’t be mutually exclusive even though 90% of posters act like they are.
Great point! I think people underestimate how much of a factor the bad goaltending was early on. If you’re not confident in your goaltender, it’s going to show in your play. We were also seeing a lot of uncharacteristic turnovers from vets.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
You have some mutts here that will find any reason to bash the team. Whether it's talking about players missing or some other thing to validate the dog whistle they have had all year. There needs to be some balance. I'm all about hammering them when they are playing lazy, stupid or if the coaching is brutal but I can also see the positive and I hope most others can as well.

It's just enjoyable to watch right now.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Never said it was, just laying waste to the myth that he doesn't make in game adjustments

Okay, that’s fine. But in case no one has said this before, the way you say things makes you come across as a real prick sometimes.

This is meta commentary, but it’s been weighing on me for a while so I’ll call some people out. I really like the contrarian points of view from people like @Axl Rhoadz, @Sol, and @GoldenBearHockey. I think these differing opinions make for good discussion. If everyone on these boards agreed with me it’d be pretty boring. But can we try to disagree civilly? Every post doesn’t need to be intentionally antagonistic towards the people we disagree with.

I don’t know, maybe I’m way off on this one, but it’s gotten a little out of control lately.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You have some mutts here that will find any reason to bash the team. Whether it's talking about players missing or some other thing to validate the dog whistle they have had all year. There needs to be some balance. I'm all about hammering them when they are playing lazy, stupid or if the coaching is brutal but I can also see the positive and I hope most others can as well.

It's just enjoyable to watch right now.

most of us are capable of nuanced discussion and are able to balance criticism with praise. I'm not gonna walk on eggshells because 5 people can't. Still gonna call it like I see it.

Last night was thoroughly enjoyable.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Okay, that’s fine. But in case no one has said this before, the way you say things makes you come across as a real prick sometimes.

This is meta commentary, but it’s been weighing on me for a while so I’ll call some people out. I really like the contrarian points of view from people like @Axl Rhoadz, @Sol, and @GoldenBearHockey. I think these differing opinions make for good discussion. If everyone on these boards agreed with me it’d be pretty boring. But can we try to disagree civilly? Every post doesn’t need to be intentionally antagonistic towards the people we disagree with.

I don’t know, maybe I’m way off on this one, but it’s gotten a little out of control lately.

Most of the forum has two out of those three on ignore. This wasn’t an accident. The incessant cheerleading and fandom gatekeeping is not only childish, but as you say here, stifles intelligent discourse.

It’s one thing to have a contrarian opinion. It’s another to become a Propaganda Minister for your favorite team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad