GDT: 2022-23 season game 41 LA Kings vs Dallas Stars @7:00pm 1/3/23

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Real nice win last night. Moved down to ten rows behind the glass and I'm still certain that this wasn't the reason that it seemed like Byfield used his size more. Pretty strong game. Kings need him to be a center but I'm all for this current set up if it gets him confident and acclimated to the NHL.

I'm still very wary of Fasth 2.0 with Copley. Guy is on an absolute heater but this could be a bit of a Budaj situation where the team plays with more structure and discipline since they don't have a super athletic Smythe Trophy winner in net.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Real nice win last night. Moved down to ten rows behind the glass and I'm still certain that this wasn't the reason that it seemed like Byfield used his size more. Pretty strong game. Kings need him to be a center but I'm all for this current set up if it gets him confident and acclimated to the NHL.

I'm still very wary of Fasth 2.0 with Copley. Guy is on an absolute heater but this could be a bit of a Budaj situation where the team plays with more structure and discipline since they don't have a super athletic Smythe Trophy winner in net.
Quick really hasn't been anything other than average at best over the past five years, with more periods of poor play below that line than time spent above it. He is a hero here and that respect has lived well past his "best if played by" date.

Copley isn't dropping to the ice at the threat of every shot then trying to scramble around to cover up for it. He just positions himself to let the puck hit him. That's it, nothing special, just competent positional goaltending.

I have nothing but respect for Quick and what he has accomished, but a spade is a spade and a lot of the lore around him is based on miraculous saves of shots that would have just been swallowed up by a standard goalies. Age beats everyone, those side to side highlight reelers are fewer and further between. Kids now go bar downsky at will, its just too easy to beat him.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Copley shows if this team just gets average goaltending they’re pretty good, just need to work on the PK. But sadly Quick and Peterson this season were way below average.

Reactions: kinghock

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Please let this one be the turning point, please let this one be the turning point

Felt confident with a lead for the first time forever, no small feat vs. a conference leader with an excellent pp and 3rd period stats. Locking it down like that is a pretty major accomplishment, not just a hollow 'moral victory' or whatever
The turning point came 9 games ago, after both the Blue Jackets and Sabres put up 6 goals on the Kings. Since then the Kings put up quality team wins against the Bruins, Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Stars, going 7-1-1 in that stretch (3rd in the league since 12/14). The turnaround has obviously been led by Pheonix Copley, going 7-0-0 in that stretch, but the offense has continued scoring at 2.9 goals per game while only giving up 2.3 goals per game.

Of note, the Kings have outscored their opponents 11-4 in the third period over the last 9 games, fueling a couple of key comebacks. After completely getting outplayed, Phillip Danault has gotten his game back with 9 points in that same stretch. Arvidsson, Kempe, Iafallo, Fiala, and Vilardi all contributing to make the Kings tough to defend.

This might be the Kings team we've been waiting for.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Copely has played well.

But he would have got his ass lit up in those games against Toronto, Columbus, Pittsburgh etc. just like Quick and Petersen did. He's benefiting from the team playing better in front him.

Regardless, the Kings have combination that's working right now. So they'll stick with it.

Blake has about 60 days to decide what to do with this roster for the current season. If they're battling for first place in the division, I suspect he'll make a significant move.

Reactions: David Lunch

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Okay, that’s fine. But in case no one has said this before, the way you say things makes you come across as a real prick sometimes.

This is meta commentary, but it’s been weighing on me for a while so I’ll call some people out. I really like the contrarian points of view from people like @Axl Rhoadz, @Sol, and @GoldenBearHockey. I think these differing opinions make for good discussion. If everyone on these boards agreed with me it’d be pretty boring. But can we try to disagree civilly? Every post doesn’t need to be intentionally antagonistic towards the people we disagree with.

I don’t know, maybe I’m way off on this one, but it’s gotten a little out of control lately.

I can not disagree with the bolded, most of the shit I say, you have take a huge pill of sarcasm with, doesn't necessarily translate well on message boards, Problem is, people get too goddamn sensitive over it....

Glad you don't, but I'm not intentionally being antagonistic towards anyone unless I see a truly stupid hot take on something....for instance....

Everyone dumping on Grundstrom last night on that 2nd goal, that's not on him, Roberston sakes right by JAD, and Kupari is covering someone behind the net, Kupari made a defensive mistake, and we have to accept those, if we want to play the kids, the problem is, the kids play, f*** up, and people lose their shit over it, Kupari f***ed up with the icing as well, that's just the cost of doing business when you try and play the kids....

Copely has played well.

But he would have got his ass lit up in those games against Toronto, Columbus, Pittsburgh etc. just like Quick and Petersen did. He's benefiting from the team playing better in front him.

Regardless, the Kings have combination that's working right now. So they'll stick with it.

Blake has about 60 days to decide what to do with this roster for the current season. If they're battling for first place in the division, I suspect he'll make a significant move.

I think it's one of those sports phenomenon, something akin to, oh look Quick is in, we don't have to try as hard, oh look Doughty is in, we don;t have to do as much...the players step up when Copley is in, because quite frankly Copley isn't as good and never will be, as good as Quick.....which if Quick was 10 years younger, I don't think it would be an issue...but it is now, the teams needs to be consistent whomever is in or out of the lineup.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Byfield had his breakout game last night, used his size, was more confident, etc, he played a very very strong game.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What're folks thoughts on Ekholm? Seravalli mentioned he's available, and even though he's 32 he's only signed from 3 more years after this one. He's playing at a 2.0 GSVA pace (top pairing worth $7M+) and is a 6'4" lefty even if he isn't the meanest guy on the ice. What do we think about the trade below?

:nashville
LD, Mattias Ekholm (3 yrs remaining @ $6.25M)

:kings

2023 1st round pick (top 2 protected)
RD, Sean Durzi (1 yr remaining RFA @ $1.7M)
RD, Helge Grans

And that would leave...

Anderson - Doughty
Ekholm - Clarke
Edler - Roy
*Bjornfot, Spence, Moverare

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Most of the forum has two out of those three on ignore. This wasn’t an accident. The incessant cheerleading and fandom gatekeeping is not only childish, but as you say here, stifles intelligent discourse.

It’s one thing to have a contrarian opinion. It’s another to become a Propaganda Minister for your favorite team.
Let me tell you what else 'stifles intelligent discourse'...the OVERLY dramatic whining that pollutes this board every time the team loses. That point of view could also be characterized with cool terms like 'Propaganda Minister', but I prefer #clownshow.

Reactions: HookKing

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The turning point came 9 games ago, after both the Blue Jackets and Sabres put up 6 goals on the Kings. Since then the Kings put up quality team wins against the Bruins, Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Stars, going 7-1-1 in that stretch (3rd in the league since 12/14). The turnaround has obviously been led by Pheonix Copley, going 7-0-0 in that stretch, but the offense has continued scoring at 2.9 goals per game while only giving up 2.3 goals per game.

Of note, the Kings have outscored their opponents 11-4 in the third period over the last 9 games, fueling a couple of key comebacks. After completely getting outplayed, Phillip Danault has gotten his game back with 9 points in that same stretch. Arvidsson, Kempe, Iafallo, Fiala, and Vilardi all contributing to make the Kings tough to defend.

This might be the Kings team we've been waiting for.

Fiala has been pushing the offense for certain, but Iafallo has been the teams best forward. Getting him back has been crucial to the PK and the general competence of the forecheck and neutral zone play has been noticeably better. If ppg percentages are your thing, he is near the top of the team as well.

Iafallo and to an increasing degree JAD are two low-event wingers who win the majority of their battles, hound loose pucks and provide a level of stability in transition that is missing in the mostly go for broke offensive wingers that played on all 4 lines.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What're folks thoughts on Ekholm? Seravalli mentioned he's available, and even though he's 32 he's only signed from 3 more years after this one. He's playing at a 2.0 GSVA pace (top pairing worth $7M+) and is a 6'4" lefty even if he isn't the meanest guy on the ice. What do we think about the trade below?

RD, Helge Grans

And that would leave...

Anderson - Doughty
Ekholm - Clarke
Edler - Roy

Meh, absolutely hate it, you are giving up a top 1st in a deep draft, a good young PP option, and another good prospect for a 32 year old who will be done in 3 years.....If Ekholm was 25, sure different story

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
No, Doughty is in the wrong position. It’s a passive set up and Grundstrom covers the point, starts passively until the puck goes high.

Doughty should be central, slightly towards the back post so he can see the play unfold in front on him. If he does that he can then close Robertson and apply puck pressure accordingly. That is absolutely how the system works. He may be trying to cut out any pass but that’s not what he should be doing.
Thank you. DD should have stopped watching Pavelski and be more aware of the slot area. He almost tipped the pass but you have to defend the man not the puck in this situation.

Reactions: David Lunch

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

RD, Helge Grans

And that would leave...

Anderson - Doughty
Ekholm - Clarke
Edler - Roy

His age and cap hit scare me. Quick will come off the books but Moore’s extension kicks in plus the needed extensions to Anderson and Vilardi. Vilardi keeps this up and he’ll get a decent bump.

And honestly minus Grundstrom or Lemieux I don’t think we have any forwards that are really expendable anymore. The 2 possible contenders of Arvidsson and Iaffalo are playing great, really giving this team a lot of depth up front.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

RD, Helge Grans

And that would leave...

Anderson - Doughty
Ekholm - Clarke
Edler - Roy

I like Ekholm but he's got a lot of mileage and plays a pretty hard nosed game with shot blocking and defensive minutes. I'm not sure he ages well. At the same time I'm not sure what Nashville's needs are so not sure about that deal. I'd much prefer someone younger but as far as proven and experience that he def brings.

Fiala has been pushing the offense for certain, but Iafallo has been the teams best forward. Getting him back has been crucial to the PK and the general competence of the forecheck and neutral zone play has been noticeably better. If ppg percentages are your thing, he is near the top of the team as well.

Iafallo and to an increasing degree JAD are two low-event wingers who win the majority of their battles, hound loose pucks and provide a level of stability in transition that is missing in the mostly go for broke offensive wingers that played on all 4 lines.

Amen, hoping people are seeing the full value of a fully functional Iafallo, he's doing the Danault thing of making everyone near him better no matter who he plays with, and especially on the PK/defensive side.

Cheers to JAD picking it up too.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

I don't disagree with you about Iafallo, but the penalty kill still sucks.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Okay, that’s fine. But in case no one has said this before, the way you say things makes you come across as a real prick sometimes.

This is meta commentary, but it’s been weighing on me for a while so I’ll call some people out. I really like the contrarian points of view from people like @Axl Rhoadz, @Sol, and @GoldenBearHockey. I think these differing opinions make for good discussion. If everyone on these boards agreed with me it’d be pretty boring. But can we try to disagree civilly? Every post doesn’t need to be intentionally antagonistic towards the people we disagree with.

I don’t know, maybe I’m way off on this one, but it’s gotten a little out of control lately.

Woah woah woahhhh. Slow your roll before you put me with the unholy trinity. My stances about the team is shared by the majority. and I am universally LOVED.

Ironically the other members who you mentioned don’t like me because of my views lol. I nominate Hook-King or Surf Nutz to be the final member of the unholy trinity

Last edited:

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Meh, absolutely hate it, you are giving up a top 1st in a deep draft, a good young PP option, and another good prospect for a 32 year old who will be done in 3 years.....If Ekholm was 25, sure different story
Totally fair. I just think our pick will be in the late teens/early twenties, and if he’s truly available there will be plenty of suitors at the deadline when his prorated hit is only ~$2.5M. It’ll be a bidding war.

I’d also prefer a younger player, but with only 3 years left I think Ekholm could be a rich man’s Scuderi in our top 4.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Totally fair. I just think our pick will be in the late teens/early twenties, and if he’s truly available there will be plenty of suitors at the deadline when his prorated hit is only ~$2.5M. It’ll be a bidding war.

I’d also prefer a younger player, but with only 3 years left I think Ekholm could be a rich man’s Scuderi in our top 4.

I can see that, just not the direction I would go....I think all you really do is just put another blocker in on D.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
When posters 'round here get all prickly I go in extra hard with a good mix of gifs. Perks me right up.

los-angeles-kings-dustin-brown.gif

hp87I9w.gif

BoysBump.gif

boob-gif-5.5fcea51f.gif

faceplant1.gif

4173ec3ec6d04a.gif

los-angeles-kings-anze-kopitar.gif

CraftyNarrowAsiantrumpetfish-max-1mb.gif

pennercakes.gif

KnDL0op.gif

C5u1kxK.gif

tumblr_mvhbcfRXcP1smo3b6o1_500.gif