GDT: 2022-23 season game 32 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @4:00pm 12/13/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why in the f*** would he use his 1 time out after the 1st goal??

I don't know anyone.....on either side, can come in here and state this player doesn't do this, or isn't that....etc when none of you dumbasses.....don't know f***all about what goes on in the room, away from cameras, press, media etc....

Supposed to be 2 posts.......so... @mysterman2 that 2nd half wasn't directed at you

They scored 6 goals in like 7 minutes and he didn't use it at all. That's malpractice. You don't need to know what's going on in the room for that when you can watch the team crumble repeatedly while he saves it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Also keep in mind one of the players getting an assist last night for the Sabers, Jack Quinn.

Drafted 8th overall by Buffalo in 2020, the same year as the Byfield. 16 points in 23 games. More points this season than Byfield in his career in half as many games. Is Buffalo ruining him by putting him with scorers? Just checking, because a few people keep spewing how young players get ruined when they get key minutes. Heck, he has 2 fewer points than Kaliyev, who is older, while playing 8 fewer games. So, it's not even a "Byfield needs time to grow and mature" defense.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Also keep in mind one of the players getting an assist last night for the Sabers, Jack Quinn.

Drafted 8th overall by Buffalo in 2020, the same year as the Byfield. 16 points in 23 games. More points this season than Byfield in his career in half as many games. Is Buffalo ruining him by putting him with scorers? Just checking, because a few people keep spewing how young players get ruined when they get key minutes. Heck, he has 2 fewer points than Kaliyev, who is older, while playing 8 fewer games. So, it's not even a "Byfield needs time to grow and mature" defense.

Relatedly I think it's funny how quickly and easily Kaliyev acclimated to top line minutes.

Almost like if you give a guy an extended opportunity he may just impress you.

Weird how that works everywhere.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Relatedly I think it's funny how quickly and easily Kaliyev acclimated to top line minutes.

AND Quinn was the player who, incidentally, would bring down Byfield's metrics when Byfield was forced to play with him at the WJC. It's not like this was a sleeper pick who was always amazing. Quinn played on the same junior team as Canada's head coach, he was put on a line with Byfield, Byfield would struggle - Quinn would then get moved UP, and Byfield played better without him.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
I don't know if it's because of the players they draft and develop or if the Kings have just instilled this culture of being deferential to Kopitar and Doughty.
I'm a broken record, but when leadership (i.e., the coach in hockey) does not enforce accountability, all employees suffer and the quest for quality and excellence drops significantly. Not benching Durzi 1 game for idiotic play vs Vegas game 1, not benching Arvidsson for lazy empty net effort, keeping 11-8 out for PP1 despite clearly better options, sending out 11-9-8 for OT, not using TOs strategically, not strategically changing goalies to get rest of the team to have some shame. These are all coaching/leadership ways to show the leader will do whatever is necessary to win and achieve excellence.

There is NO WAY John Cooper makes any of those coaching blunders, certainly not over and over. I saw Cooper leave his big boys out and pull his goalie down 3 so they would possibly get minus stats (and they did) to demonstrate 'you better perform better next game' or I'll keep doing this. He wasn't afraid to piss off or embarrass his stars if he felt it gave them a better chance to win next game. THAT'S LEADERSHIP.

And I can guarantee you there is not another coach in the league who, for two seasons, would have his top PP goal scorer/threat on PP2, esp if PP is suffering. I was watching the Seattle TV feed last game Kings played them and the color guy was telling his audience, rather incredulously, that Kaliyev was on PP2 and "wait until you see his shot." Not rocket science. Last week Ovechkin was out for the full 5 minute PP for an at-the-time struggling Caps team--not that I think 34 = 8 and not that I think that's 100% okay, but it shows you're willing to use your best weapon to maximum potential effect if you think the team needs it. THAT'S LEADERSHIP. (I also get he is chasing Gretzky but my point is still valid.)

TMac is NOT that leader as demonstrated by his coaching decisions.
This is not rocket science. It's leadership 101.
If you're not taking any bullets from those you lead, you are people pleasing.
People pleasing is NOT leadership, and your team/indiviuals will suffer.
Exhibit A = 2022-23 LA Kings

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Why in the f*** would he use his 1 time out after the 1st goal??

I don't know anyone.....on either side, can come in here and state this player doesn't do this, or isn't that....etc when none of you dumbasses.....don't know f***all about what goes on in the room, away from cameras, press, media etc....

Supposed to be 2 posts.......so... @mysterman2 that 2nd half wasn't directed at you
I didnt mean specifically after goal #1....I meant when 3 were scored in couple of minutes and TMac decided to play on.

Thanks for elaborating on the 2nd part...id hate to think your brusk language was directed at me given how colloquial and courteous you have shown in the past.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

True, but if we listened to you, this was only going to last a period

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
As much as Kopi is given crap for his current faults and lack of leadership, and DD issues as well -- It should never come to that for a team like the Kings. It's 100% a coach and GM problem. Relying upon and having Kopi/DD as the leaders, playing so many minutes and important minutes.

Fair point- they should be accompanying and complimentary players at this point in their career as opposed to their current role of carrying the entire load on their shoulders.

Reactions: Schrute farms

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I didnt mean specifically after goal #1....I meant when 3 were scored in couple of minutes and TMac decided to play on.

Thanks for elaborating on the 2nd part...id hate to think your brusk language was directed at me given how colloquial and courteous you have shown in the past.

Why thank you, good sir.....honestly, if you saw the body language of the team, calling a time out would have done absolutely f***all......

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
Lol some of you guys seen to think Kopitar tearing off his C and fighting the entire opposing team will miraculously cure a totally inept, poorly built, and overmatched D corps. Unhinged AM radio caller level analysis

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Why thank you, good sir.....honestly, if you saw the body language of the team, calling a time out would have done absolutely f***all......
Isn't that the point of a timeout? When you see that kind of body language? You call it and yell at them and get them to focus. It's something that is done quite often, not sure why you think there's zero purpose to it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Isn't that the point of a timeout? When you see that kind of body language? You call it and yell at them and get them to focus. It's something that is done quite often, not sure why you think there's zero purpose to it.

Typically yes....but if you believe Todd has lost the room....what effect would that have?

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

But just once, just once, count em one time wouldn't it be refreshing to see Tmac simply give it a try? As impotent, hollow and feable of gesture it may be- just one time, try and attempt something different, something, anything but falling on his sword and going meekly into that last goodnight....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
But just once, just once, count em one time wouldn't it be refreshing to see Tmac simply give it a try? As impotent, hollow and feable of gesture it may be- just one time, try and attempt something different, something, anything but falling on his sword and going meekly into that last goodnight....

He has this year.....didn't work....and you guys keep railing on him doing shit over and over that doesn't work.....maybe he learned?

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
He has this year.....didn't work....and you guys keep railing on him doing shit over and over that doesn't work.....maybe he learned?

What game was that pray tell? And what- it didnt work the one time he tried so hes forever not going to use a tool in the coaches arsenal? I guess I stand corrected....who can argue with the bit of logic?

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad