GDT: 2022-23 season game 32 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @4:00pm 12/13/22

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Been banging the drum since the off-season that this roster is too soft, even for this era, and that is directly Blake’s fault. Teams come in and say no pond hockey and hit the Kings in the mouth and there’s no response other than to stop scoring. They’re obviously not a defensive dynamo, and I get why Koala is pushing them to tighten it up on D but if that’s not working isnt it the coaches job to pivot with what you’ve got and win games 7-6 like it’s 1988? Don’t throw your hands in the air and say I don’t know who we are.
Been saying this for years now. Agree 100%. Although the new NHL not even sure how to build a tough skillful team they just don't grow on trees anymore. But Blake era is probably some of the softest hockey in Kings history.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Maybe I'm stupidly old fashioned, but it would be helpful to have some mainstream media with wide readership that's willing to hold Blake and T-Mac and the players accountable. Eric Stephens has an article today in the Athletic, pondering whether last night was a "tipping point" for the Kings, but his analysis is jammed into an article that's also about the Ducks' complete ineptitude, since the Athletic has him on both beats. Helene Elliott has some eye-rolling tweets about the Kings, but that's not cutting it either. The LAT story about last night's debacle is from the Associated Press and focuses--naturally--on the team that won the game.

Heads should be rolling by now, and not just Cal's. But beyond us doofuses in the fan-sphere, who's got the combined clout/spine to call for them?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
There is no one on the roster who is a natural captain. Id give it to Fiala having to make a choice.. but he does too many rash things for a captain.. but he has the fire.
You actually think this is a Captain issue??

Let make one thing clear, this team is poorly coached and constructed. Lots of players need to look in the f***en mirror and step it up or they need to go.

Not sure who it was on here but they nailed it when they posted that this team had all the signs of a regression. Small, soft defense, old Quick, broken Cal, no 3rd line and a small/tiny checking 4th line.

You want this team to play up to their potential then you need to trim the fat..
Move Walker and Durzi
Make Edler the 7th Dman
Call up Spence permanently
Create a spot for Clarke
See what you can get for Roy and/or Kempe
Look for that LHD we desperately need
Breakup the 2nd line because they’re too small and weak.. looking at VA
Get Byfield up if he continues playing well, give him 20g in the A before that and give him at min 16min

Fiala - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Iafallo - Danault - Moore
Ardvisson - Byfield - Vilardi
Kupari - Big Vet - Fagemo
Grundy - Pepe

Anderson - Doughty
Big Vet - Spence
Bjornfot - Clarke/Roy
Edler

Quick - Copley - a miracle

And finally, Fire Todd

Last edited:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I firmly believe this is also a leadership issue and has been for sometime. You mean to tell me if Kopitar said f*** it this stops now and decided to square up with Thompson at center ice, the team isn’t going to step up and take notice? If your former lady byng (autocorrect changed it to hung, how appropriate for this team) winning captain decides I have to get physical to send a message about us not being pushed around anymore, it should happen. Call me a dinosaur or old school at 39 years young.

Cozens challenges Bjornfot after he knocked down Dahlin. No response. Anderson gets dropped by Cousins no response.

This team is soft and a leader needs to recognize that and step up to stop it. Not a face wash. Step up and bear hug someone to the ice. Show you care! It’s better than this sad sack of shit team as it currently is. It’s why I don’t care when Fiala or Lemieux takes a dumb penalty. At least they’re showing emotion.

The Los Angeles Emotionless Kopitar’s.

The Los Angeles Stoned Koala’s

The Los Angeles Kings do not qualify for the playoffs is how this is going to end up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I firmly believe this is also a leadership issue and has been for sometime. You mean to tell me if Kopitar said f*** it this stops now and decided to square up with Thompson at center ice, the team isn’t going to step up and take notice? If your former lady byng (autocorrect changed it to hung, how appropriate for this team) winning captain decides I have to get physical to send a message about us not being pushed around anymore, it should happen. Call me a dinosaur or old school at 39 years young.

Cozens challenges Bjornfot after he knocked down Dahlin. No response. Anderson gets dropped by Cousins no response.

This team is soft and a leader needs to recognize that and step up to stop it. Not a face wash. Step up and bear hug someone to the ice. Show you care! It’s better than this sad sack of shit team as it currently is. It’s why I don’t care when Fiala or Lemieux takes a dumb penalty. At least they’re showing emotion.

The Los Angeles Kings do not qualify for the playoffs is how this is going to end up.

Shit just reading this sentence got me all pumped up

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Shit just reading this sentence got me all pumped up
Right, as it would for the team! There’s gotta be a shift in culture somewhere. We all know they’re not trading Doughty and Kopitar as much as they probably should. The salary cap prevents that. So they Fire Koala and then what, get a retread in here to last a few seasons again?

It’s a simple fix in my opinion. Go out and lead Kopitar. Show them by example. Your team is rudderless in the storm, do something.

Otherwise I hope some “core” players get moved for guys who can come in and play a tougher game.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I’ve been posting in this forum since 2007, Kopitar’s rookie year.

Kopitar has always been a passenger. Not in terms of production and “actual hockey value” but leadership.

Make no mistake, the heart and soul of those Cup teams were players like Williams, Mitchell, Greene, and Richards. Throw in Brown, too.

Kopitar and Doughty were high skill high impact hockey players, but they never were leaders and never will be leaders.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Kopi does that and not a f***en thing changes.. Th ate how this team has been built for some time now.. it’s Charmin soft

Say Kopi throws down with Thompson.. what do you expect the rest of the Kings to do?
Doughty is an instigator
Anderson isn’t a fighter but he’s physical
Bjornfot is feisty but not a fighter
Roy, Walker, Edler ^^^^
And that just our defense
On offense
Fiala is tough but no fughter
Moore, Arvy, Vilardi, Arty, Lizotte, Tonka, AI..
Who TF is doing anything?
Phil can throw hands but that’s not enough

Where’s our Folingo, Reaves, MacDermid, Lucic or just a physical guy that can throw his weight around????

WE ARE f***EN SOFT… period, nothing will change with this team until that one specific area is addressed

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I was on NHL.com and couldnt find that- where did you access? This is good data...

D corp breakdown of who was on the ice(not plus/minus) just outright....
Doughty/Anderson 3
Roy/ Durzi 2
Bjornfot/Walker 1
so from nhl.com i use the top bar score ticker to find the game, hover over it then select box score. on that page there's the player stats and goals scored etc, it's kinda confusing but there's 2 scroll bars, scroll the goalscorer box on the right side down and at the bottom there's a handful of official reports

pretty unintuitive interface by whoever coded that website

Reactions: mysterman2

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Kopi does that and not a f***en thing changes.. Th ate how this team has been built for some time now.. it’s Charmin soft

Say Kopi throws down with Thompson.. what do you expect the rest of the Kings to do?
Doughty is an instigator
Anderson isn’t a fighter but he’s physical
Bjornfot is feisty but not a fighter
Roy, Walker, Edler ^^^^
And that just our defense
On offense
Fiala is tough but no fughter
Moore, Arvy, Vilardi, Arty, Lizotte, Tonka, AI..
Who TF is doing anything?
Phil can throw hands but that’s not enough

Where’s our Folingo, Reaves, MacDermid, Lucic or just a physical guy that can throw his weight around????

WE ARE f***EN SOFT… period, nothing will change with this team until that one specific area is addressed
It doesn’t change that they’re soft. We all know they’re soft but at least it changes the mindset of oh well we’re getting our collective shit pushed in, might as well just spread em further. It’s hey man Kopitar is pissed. He never gets pissed. If he’s willing to go maybe I’ll step and push back too. We know Blake isn’t going to bring in any toughness. He hasn’t yet. But if these guys stand up for each other regularly then maybe we’d see a different result.

Can we please start saying Buck Flake again?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
But back to last night, it's clear he's lost the room, it was slipping....probably last week, last night, after the first goal, they checked out, and when that happens....shit goes sideways fast.....my comment about them hammering the Bruins is mainly a snipe at people thinking they can read this team to know what happens next, shit, they can't even read themselves...
That’s my take… game over. When, not if, and I suspect it’s an extended Christmas break for him.

We are also badly downplaying Browns retirement, he was the glue guy in that room last year.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kopitar has always been a passenger. Not in terms of production and “actual hockey value” but leadership.

Make no mistake, the heart and soul of those Cup teams were players like Williams, Mitchell, Greene, and Richards. Throw in Brown, too.

Kopitar and Doughty were high skill high impact hockey players, but they never were leaders and never will be leaders.
You have no idea if this is true or not. It's something you've completely made up.

I do know that Kopitar was selected the captain of team Europe, which gives you an idea of how the hockey community (the actual people who are connected and know something), view the guy.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure if Kopitar throwing down would have a major impact (note I'm not saying Kopitar's lack of emotional engagement isn't contributory). But Kopitar has never been that kind of player. Not sure why people continue to expect it.

Remember we had tantrum Doughty for years and that didn't inspire the troops either.

Some people, like Williams and Mitchell and Richards, could emotionally command a room. Right now, the Kings don't have that regularly. They've failed to identify the leadership deficiencies in Kopitar and Doughty and bring in players to complement them (Lemieux did it to a degree, especially last season). Lizotte's doing it. Danault was doing it last year, but seems off this year.

But they thought they could outskill their problems by bringing in Fiala, who is a much better version of Kempe - skilled and makes dangerous or dumb plays. But not an emotional complement to the leadership.

And, again, we're not seeing the youth be put into these big roles regularly to start taking ownership. And I don't know if it's because of the players they draft and develop or if the Kings have just instilled this culture of being deferential to Kopitar and Doughty.

I am very afraid management is just going to throw more prospects and picks away to try and bring in more vets for another desperate playoff push.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Not my screengrab but the screenshot says it all- the Fact he still didnt use TO just abject failure of coaching.

1671045431565.png

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
It doesn’t change that they’re soft. We all know they’re soft but at least it changes the mindset of oh well we’re getting our collective shit pushed in, might as well just spread em further. It’s hey man Kopitar is pissed. He never gets pissed. If he’s willing to go maybe I’ll step and push back too. We know Blake isn’t going to bring in any toughness. He hasn’t yet. But if these guys stand up for each other regularly then maybe we’d see a different result.

Can we please start saying Buck Flake again?
I’m literally saying they’re soft AF!! I 💯% agree with that..
Kopi has actually gotten pissed more this year than his entire career combined but this team is full of p***yes!
Say what you will about Alex Turcotte but that’s the kind of kid we need..
this is why I didn’t give a shit about Brendan Dillon’s age last season, I knew what he brought and how badly we needed someone like him.. but again, some of you f***ers would cry about his age. He sure would have been a great addition don’t ya guys think??

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
As much as Kopi is given crap for his current faults and lack of leadership, and DD issues as well -- It should never come to that for a team like the Kings. It's 100% a coach and GM problem. Relying upon and having Kopi/DD as the leaders, playing so many minutes and important minutes. It's beyond obvious except for apparently the two guys that matter most -- TMac & Blake. These guys should be supporting veterans. Not the top dogs on this team.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
You have no idea if this is true or not. It's something you've completely made up.

I do know that Kopitar was selected the captain of team Europe, which gives you an idea of how the hockey community (the actual people who are connected and know something), view the guy.

You can white knight for Kopitar all you want. The reality is that this team has won a grand total of three playoff games in the seven years he has been captain.

What exactly indicates to you his aptitude in leadership? The fact he’s a respected veteran and was chosen as captain for one chintzy international tournament? What about his team quitting all over the ice with Anze mumbling the same canned response in the after game? That count for anything?

What is his responsibility as captain of the LA Kings and how has he fulfilled it? You seem to know. So you tell me.

Anze Kopitar is a great hockey player. Future HoFer. Kings legend. But you’re asking people to ignore the reality in front of their eyes. As captain, Kopitar has led this team absolutely nowhere. THAT is a much larger reality than a C on his Team f***ing Europe jersey.

Edit: And to be crystal clear, Kopitar’s lack of leadership capability is like number 146 in a long, long list of what’s wrong with this team.

Reactions: Reaper45

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not my screengrab but the screenshot says it all- the Fact he still didnt use TO just abject failure of coaching.

View attachment 621547

Why in the f*** would he use his 1 time out after the 1st goal??

I don't know anyone.....on either side, can come in here and state this player doesn't do this, or isn't that....etc when none of you dumbasses.....don't know f***all about what goes on in the room, away from cameras, press, media etc....

Supposed to be 2 posts.......so... @mysterman2 that 2nd half wasn't directed at you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad