GDT: 2022-23 season game 32 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @4:00pm 12/13/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He has this year.....didn't work....and you guys keep railing on him doing shit over and over that doesn't work.....maybe he learned?

"he called a timeout once and it didn't work so why would he ever do that again?"

TM defenders reaalllly running the well dry here

1671055775683.png

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What game was that pray tell? And what- it didnt work the one time he tried so hes forever not going to use a tool in the coaches arsenal? I guess I stand corrected....who can argue with the bit of logic?
"It didn't work that one time. Why bother?"
Also:
"You have to be patient!"

"Why should the coach bother if he's lost the room?"
Also:
"Blake shouldn't be making any player or coaching changes! What GM experience do you have?"

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I recognize the name but I don't get the reference.
He would give advice based on either his experiences in WW2 or classical mythology/stories. His dogs were named Zeus and Apollo. Seemed appropriate in reference to the Greek characters you mentioned as a mildly humorous answer to your question.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Lol some of you guys seen to think Kopitar tearing off his C and fighting the entire opposing team will miraculously cure a totally inept, poorly built, and overmatched D corps. Unhinged AM radio caller level analysis
Pretty sure no one said any such thing but some emotion from Kopitar would go a long way towards fixing some of what ails this team because we all know the drastic changes we all hope for are not coming.

Leadership has its layers and it all falls on the GM, the Coach and the Captain.

Why is it that Kopitar can not be criticized around here? It takes nothing away from his stellar career.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
He would give advice based on either his experiences in WW2 or classical mythology/stories. His dogs were named Zeus and Apollo. Seemed appropriate in reference to the Greek characters you mentioned as a mildly humorous answer to your question.
I like it.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Pretty sure no one said any such thing but some emotion from Kopitar would go a long way towards fixing some of what ails this team because we all know the drastic changes we all hope for are not coming.

Leadership has its layers and it all falls on the GM, the Coach and the Captain.

Why is it that Kopitar can not be criticized around here? It takes nothing away from his stellar career.
Agreed. I don't think there is a LA Kings fan in the world who doesn't love Kopitar, but it's certainly not unthinkable to expect more from a $10 million Captain.

Granted he's not the same player he was before, but for me that's ok. Teams go in cycles and until the last remenants of the previous are gone, it is what it is.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
“Just being little bit more consistent, obviously,” Kopitar said. “We gave up quite a few goals and quite a few of those goals were caused by some errors that normally don’t happen to us. Cleaning that up and get on to winning ways again.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moore owned a lot of that this morning, talking about the need for the Kings to check better and play well defensively. He took a lot of the onus on his line for not doing that, though it’s something that everyone needs to do a better job of.

“We just haven’t been checking the way that we want to check and it starts in our own end, taking care of the puck,” he said. “You want to score, but if you turn pucks over, it ends up in your net and it’s a minus, right? We have to check well and play good defensively.”

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
“Just being little bit more consistent, obviously,” Kopitar said. “We gave up quite a few goals and quite a few of those goals were caused by some errors that normally don’t happen to us. Cleaning that up and get on to winning ways again.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moore owned a lot of that this morning, talking about the need for the Kings to check better and play well defensively. He took a lot of the onus on his line for not doing that, though it’s something that everyone needs to do a better job of.

“We just haven’t been checking the way that we want to check and it starts in our own end, taking care of the puck,” he said. “You want to score, but if you turn pucks over, it ends up in your net and it’s a minus, right? We have to check well and play good defensively.”
Did anyone comment on how TM has 'lost the room'??

“We just haven’t been checking the way that we want to check and it starts in our own end, taking care of the puck,” he said. “You want to score, but if you turn pucks over, it ends up in your net and it’s a minus, right? We have to check well and play good defensively. In addition, we're getting tire of our coach -- like we were OK with his message for the first two periods last night but then we were just tired of it, ya know?"

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Speaking of literature

Did anyone comment on how TM has 'lost the room'??

“We just haven’t been checking the way that we want to check and it starts in our own end, taking care of the puck,” he said. “You want to score, but if you turn pucks over, it ends up in your net and it’s a minus, right? We have to check well and play good defensively. In addition, we're getting tire of our coach -- like we were OK with his message for the first two periods last night but then we were just tired of it, ya know?"

Ah yeah I must have missed thsoe interviews before we let TM/Sutter/Stevens/Willie D go where the players were like "oh yeah we're totally gonna get numnuts over here fired lol"

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Speaking of literature

Ah yeah I must have missed thsoe interviews before we let TM/Sutter/Stevens/Willie D go where the players were like "oh yeah we're totally gonna get numnuts over here fired lol"

A couple more blowouts and I think TM gonna be really in the hot seat. If they start dipping below .500 I would think Blake takes additional action. Pretty sure it's not acceptable to miss the playoffs this year...

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Agreed. I don't think there is a LA Kings fan in the world who doesn't love Kopitar, but it's certainly not unthinkable to expect more from a $10 million Captain.

Granted he's not the same player he was before, but for me that's ok. Teams go in cycles and until the last remenants of the previous are gone, it is what it is.
The issue is that #11 still has 27 points in 32 games at 20 minutes a night while #8 is still playing 26 minutes a night in all situations while over .50 points per game. They aren't looking in the mirror thinking that they are a problem because they don't get the bigger picture part about being the leaders of this team.

These two fat and happy guys should have been hit with an injection of energy from a bunch of guys that have never won a Cup before. 11/8/32 are the only three players on this team to win one. Edler/Danault/RV all went to the SCF one time. These guys should be running through walls but that is where the identity and culture problem comes in. Impressionable rookies roll in here and follow the lead of the two future HHOF'ers. Vets come in, play a great season and then seem to realize that they are living at the beach and getting to play hockey in a no accountability zone from management, coaching and the local media.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Tkachuk elbow to Doughty and lack of a response at that moment was a big deal. They "have to do something" next time they play them and it winds up being McNabb, Andreoff and Iginla that step up. Long gone. Doughty continues to get clowned and never, ever stands up for himself. Now Tkachuk is jabbing Quick in the eye and the response is tepid at best. You can bring up numerous incidents during Blake's tenure of Kings players being injured on questionable plays and nothing is done about it: either at the time or the next time they play.

Clifford KO'd by PEB
Wagner KOd by Karlsson
Roy KOd by Fiala
Bjornfot KOd by Stephenson
Doughty kneed by Dallas guy with weird name

That's just off the top of my head. These guys do not have the right mentality to be a winning team because they don't act like a team. It's tough though when the captain is a quiet Lady Byng winner and the 26 minute a night guy is the biggest all-talk-never-back-it-up guy in the league.

This team showed some moxie in that Edmonton game this year with all the shots they blocked. Seems like they got up for that one due to the playoff loss last season. But they treat every other game like it is pick up hockey and they pray to God that the other team is cool with the game being the equivalent of flag football. Buffalo was getting trounced last night and then they decided to get pissy and start taking some runs and start little scrums after the whistle. Kiss of death for this Kings team and I even commented on it in the GDT.

When talking about the Lemieux trade when it happened, @bland made the comment that the team needed someone to drag them into the fight and raise the temperature of the game. They are still that team even with the amount of new faces since the Lemieux acquisition. Danault and Durzi have mellowed out this season as well. The only consistent is Lizotte and he'd be on a bus in Ontario if he ever dialed down his energy level.

They need to fix the goaltending and the defense but the culture has not been fixed and Blake has not been drafting for it either. Here we are in Todd's 4th year of a giant money contract and Blake's 6th season and they have no f***ing clue about who or what they are. That's a pretty big problem.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
A couple more blowouts and I think TM gonna be really in the hot seat. If they start dipping below .500 I would think Blake takes additional action. Pretty sure it's not acceptable to miss the playoffs this year...
I think three more blow outs in a row will seal the deal imo. There’s no way Todd survives that unless his fellating ability is other worldly.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
The issue is that #11 still has 27 points in 32 games at 20 minutes a night while #8 is still playing 26 minutes a night in all situations while over .50 points per game. They aren't looking in the mirror thinking that they are a problem because they don't get the bigger picture part about being the leaders of this team.

These two fat and happy guys should have been hit with an injection of energy from a bunch of guys that have never won a Cup before. 11/8/32 are the only three players on this team to win one. Edler/Danault/RV all went to the SCF one time. These guys should be running through walls but that is where the identity and culture problem comes in. Impressionable rookies roll in here and follow the lead of the two future HHOF'ers. Vets come in, play a great season and then seem to realize that they are living at the beach and getting to play hockey in a no accountability zone from management, coaching and the local media.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Tkachuk elbow to Doughty and lack of a response at that moment was a big deal. They "have to do something" next time they play them and it winds up being McNabb, Andreoff and Iginla that step up. Long gone. Doughty continues to get clowned and never, ever stands up for himself. Now Tkachuk is jabbing Quick in the eye and the response is tepid at best. You can bring up numerous incidents during Blake's tenure of Kings players being injured on questionable plays and nothing is done about it: either at the time or the next time they play.

Clifford KO'd by PEB
Wagner KOd by Karlsson
Roy KOd by Fiala
Bjornfot KOd by Stephenson
Doughty kneed by Dallas guy with weird name

That's just off the top of my head. These guys do not have the right mentality to be a winning team because they don't act like a team. It's tough though when the captain is a quiet Lady Byng winner and the 26 minute a night guy is the biggest all-talk-never-back-it-up guy in the league.

This team showed some moxie in that Edmonton game this year with all the shots they blocked. Seems like they got up for that one due to the playoff loss last season. But they treat every other game like it is pick up hockey and they pray to God that the other team is cool with the game being the equivalent of flag football. Buffalo was getting trounced last night and then they decided to get pissy and start taking some runs and start little scrums after the whistle. Kiss of death for this Kings team and I even commented on it in the GDT.

When talking about the Lemieux trade when it happened, @bland made the comment that the team needed someone to drag them into the fight and raise the temperature of the game. They are still that team even with the amount of new faces since the Lemieux acquisition. Danault and Durzi have mellowed out this season as well. The only consistent is Lizotte and he'd be on a bus in Ontario if he ever dialed down his energy level.

They need to fix the goaltending and the defense but the culture has not been fixed and Blake has not been drafting for it either. Here we are in Todd's 4th year of a giant money contract and Blake's 6th season and they have no f***ing clue about who or what they are. That's a pretty big problem.

Couldn't have said it any better and 100% agreed. Not saying I know what's best or more than the guys in charge, but it just seems so obvious to many of us the underlying issue is that not enough of the players on the team care enough about winning.

Far be it for me to criticize, but simply as a fan of the sport and the team, indifference is the word that comes to mind when I think about what their mindset must be going into each game.

Perhaps it's the Lombardi bias, but he talked often about compete, culture and all that stuff. I don't know if it was so apparent at the time, but compared to this group it's clearly night and day. I hate to generalize, but LA could use more old school Canadian boys in the lineup.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Couldn't have said it any better and 100% agreed. Not saying I know what's best or more than the guys in charge, but it just seems so obvious to many of us the underlying issue is that not enough of the players on the team care enough about winning.

Far be it for me to criticize, but simply as a fan of the sport and the team, indifference is the word that comes to mind when I think about what their mindset must be going into each game.

Perhaps it's the Lombardi bias, but he talked often about compete, culture and all that stuff. I don't know if it was so apparent at the time, but compared to this group it's clearly night and day. I hate to generalize, but LA could use more old school Canadian boys in the lineup.

I want to know how you know the bolded......be specific....

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I want to know how you know the bolded......be specific....
They all want to win, no doubt. We have a lot of young guys that don't know what it takes to regularly win at this level and we have vets that think they are this highly skilled team that can score their way out of anything so they aren't bearing down and doing the dirty, not-fun-type-things to win games.
It's a compromised roster with too many poor players deployed poorly. They cannot care or PIM their way out of it
The goaltending is such a problem that I can agree to a point that effort isn't going to make this team a contender. I still, however, believe that hockey is maybe the only major sport where less talented teams can routinely beat better teams via maximum effort.

Best win of the season is probably that Edmonton game. Only allowed 23 shots on goal because they blocked 29. Still only won 3-1 with an empty net goal. 27 hits when they average something like 22.5. If Quick or whoever is total garbage then, yeah, it doesn't matter. That said, you'd like to see this team playing its bag off regardless so you feel like you are heading towards something good even if it feels like this year is a total lost cause when it comes to W/Ls.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
27 hits when they average something like 22.5.
I looked up this stat earlier today and I was shocked that it was even 22.5 a game. Seems like way less. I wasn't shocked to see that the Kings were 2nd to last in hits per game, though.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I looked up this stat earlier today and I was shocked that it was even 22.5 a game. Seems like way less. I wasn't shocked to see that the Kings were 2nd to last in hits per game, though.
I was also shocked. Feel like I'm at the game in the 3rd period and it is like 25-12 in favor of the visiting team.

Before I am scolded, I know some arenas are friendlier with what constitutes a hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad