Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Yes. And my point is I would feel much more comfortable with Beaulieu jumping in the lineup every now and then than Mahura.
I don't think I've seen enough to say one way or the other but I wouldn't hate it. I imagine it will likely depend on how severe Vaaks injury is.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I don't think I've seen enough to say one way or the other but I wouldn't hate it. I imagine it will likely depend on how severe Vaaks injury is.
For sure. All I’m saying is that, as it currently stands, we are 1 injury away from Mahura being a regular dman, and I don’t like that.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Maybe if we had an enforcer that would have deterred the boards from injuring Vaakanainen :sarcasm:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It [having an enforcer for the rebuild] should be. Rebuilding with a bunch of kids like Zegras, Drysdale and Terry is as good of time as any to have a bodyguard on the roster.

I'm just telling you what is happening under Verbeek. Under Murray, he knew he was going into a rebuild going into 2019-20 season and traded for Des. Des actually frees up Manson to play more hockey on the ice than spending 5 minutes in the sin bin. Acquiring Des gave the Ducks two enforcers.

I don’t care if the hit was technically clean, you shouldn’t be happy that your star player is being targeted.

You mean going after the player with the puck is targeting? I thought that's called hockey. You want Zegras all bubble wrapped and be treated like it's flag hockey (like flag football)? Zegras has to get better at identifying all on the ice. It sucks that Z is injured, but it was still a clean hit that Z wasn't anticipating.

There's a superstar player in football that is 45 years old. His name is Tom Brady, quarterback. He's got an internal clock in his head on how long to stay in the pocket, to hold the ball, to get rid of the ball, to run, or drop to take the sack. He avoids riskier situation by taking all that into context. Yes, everyone hated Brady when he was with New England, but respected his game. People still hate Brady. As a Bucs fan, I've come to appreciate his game and his longevity. With no offensive line this year, I'm impressed with Brady. He's only been sacked 6 times. Most other QB's would have been sack far more. I oughta know, Winston was my QB for five seasons!

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Does anyone else feel like the league called during second intermission of the Arizona game and said “cool it, or else?” The way both trams were starting to take runs and constant scrums at the end of the second vs how tame the third was makes me think there was a top down decision to stop it before it went full going show.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone else feel like the league called during second intermission of the Arizona game and said “cool it, or else?” The way both trams were starting to take runs and constant scrums at the end of the second vs how tame the third was makes me think there was a top down decision to stop it before it went full going show.
They are men not children lol

Reactions: Dirk316

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They are men not children lol
I’m honestly not comprehending what your comment has to do with my question. There are literally hundreds of examples of NHL games with that degree of ill will carrying through into the next period. 96 minutes in penalties in the 2nd, 8 in the 3rd.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I’m honestly not comprehending what your comment has to do with my question. There are literally hundreds of examples of NHL games with that degree of ill will carrying through into the next period. 96 minutes in penalties in the 2nd, 8 in the 3rd.
It could have just been the refs letting them know they were going to start tossing people with misconducts.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I hope so b/c early pre-season games should be more about evaluating talent and progress. Taking runs at one another is a complete waste. Like others have mentioned before, this is probably the only time you'll see AHL lifers playing against some top NHL talents. There shouldn't be a lot of scrums at all in early pre-season games.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Debatable.

I would have preferred to keep Des, although I haven't made up my mind on whether or not that would change much in terms of preventing our younger skilled players from getting gooned up. At the very least, we'd have someone to hold other teams accountable to a better degree than a guy like Henrique.

I also think there's some truth to what Verbeek said after the Terry incident. These kids are growing into men, so they're going to have to learn to stick up for themselves and each other.
Virtually all of us would have preferred to keep Des and sign him to the type of contract he got. Once that didn't happen, the team needed to replace that element. Reaves would be a downgrade to Des in terms of non-fighting, but at this point the ducks need to add something on that front.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I don’t get the des obsession, he was a decent checking winger who would occasionally fight to pump the team up. He didn’t strike me as the deferent type of player who most likely be a liability unless he is playing against the other teams 4th like, aka parros/grimson.

If des is on our team he is unlikely on the ice the same tame as zegras and has no impact on the play that injured him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t get the des obsession, he was a decent checking winger who would occasionally fight to pump the team up. He didn’t strike me as the deferent type of player who most likely be a liability unless he is playing against the other teams 4th like, aka parros/grimson.

If des is on our team he is unlikely on the ice the same tame as zegras and has no impact on the play that injured him.

Or... knowing it's a blowout 5-0 pre-season game, it's possible that Des could have been put on Zegras' wing at the end of games. Remember, Eakins benches any youth at the end of the games when it's tight if the youth isn't great defensively. Plus, Eakins has put Des with Zegras before.

But it isn't just Des that's now missing from the line up. Des, Manson, and Getz are missing from the team now, but Verbeek didn't replace. There's a good chance usually one of them could be on the ice when Zegras is on the ice.

Oct 18, 2011

I don't think you're seeing the forest thru the trees. It's more than just being on the ice together, look at our roster, the bigger more physical teams are going to look at Anaheim as a team they fan physically run down, if you have enough elite talent it helps negate that to an extent but we don't, Anaheim had a young team and they're going to get tested every game especially by the tougher more veteran teams...it's an absolute mistake to not beef the
team up a bit

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This hyperfocus on enforcers is bonkers to me
I think there is a clear team need for “tough enough“ players to provide a deterrent to just getting pushed around all over the ice (St Louis will be a real treat this year). Those players aren’t really on the team (Jones is fragile and invisible this preseason, Comtois doesn’t hit or fight well, McTavish is injured again and hasn’t shown that bite vs actual men yet), and aren’t available for trade in a skilled player. I think people want the next best thing, which is a player willing and capable to provide payback to anyone taking runs at our smaller/skilled players, without another skill player having to be the one to do it. Don’t need them injuring themselves breaking a hand, getting concussed/facial raptures, or being off the ice for 5-17 minutes.

Whether people like it or not, fighting is still part of the game. I’m clearly not in the “face-puncher for the sake of face-punching” camp, but I am very firmly in the camp of “the team needs some toughness and deterrent ability”.

No, an enforcer won’t prevent all stupid hits on star players. But they will provide the appropriate smack down on the player who did it, and provide a deterrent (that would be better served having skilled big players throughout the lineup, but that’s 2024-5) for when the game goes going show. The players on the ice think these players are necessary, I think it’s odd that people feel otherwise.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think there is a clear team need for “tough enough“ players to provide a deterrent to just getting pushed around all over the ice (St Louis will be a real treat this year). Those players aren’t really on the team (Jones is fragile and invisible this preseason, Comtois doesn’t hit or fight well, McTavish is injured again and hasn’t shown that bite vs actual men yet), and aren’t available for trade in a skilled player. I think people want the next best thing, which is a player willing and capable to provide payback to anyone taking runs at our smaller/skilled players, without another skill player having to be the one to do it. Don’t need them injuring themselves breaking a hand, getting concussed/facial raptures, or being off the ice for 5-17 minutes.

Whether people like it or not, fighting is still part of the game. I’m clearly not in the “face-puncher for the sake of face-punching” camp, but I am very firmly in the camp of “the team needs some toughness and deterrent ability”.

No, an enforcer won’t prevent all stupid hits on star players. But they will provide the appropriate smack down on the player who did it, and provide a deterrent (that would be better served having skilled big players throughout the lineup, but that’s 2024-5) for when the game goes going show. The players on the ice think these players are necessary, I think it’s odd that people feel otherwise.
I certainly don’t think it’s wrong for people to want one, but we’re at the point where we’re acting like all of these fringe players would be legit difference makers for the team. I’d much prefer dipping into our excess assets to get a physical top 6 forward

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I certainly don’t think it’s wrong for people to want one, but we’re at the point where we’re acting like all of these fringe players would be legit difference makers for the team. I’d much prefer dipping into our excess assets to get a physical top 6 forward
That would be better. I’d suspect that trade would occur in the first couple weeks of the season to allow for a better assessment of which guys to keep, and to take the fullest advantage of the waiver wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad