Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Well if Vaak is still hurt, then we have 8 healthy D on the roster, Fowler, Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Drysdale, Kulikov, Benoit, Beaulieu, and White. Pretty surprised White wasn't on waivers today, not sure if he's made the team, or if we plan on only carrying 7D. Figured we might wait until Vak was healthy to waive Mahura, but no word on him coming back any time soon still. I'd also have expected Gawdin to be on it today if he didn't make the team, so it's probably safe to assume he'll be the press box forward. And I'm just going to assume Grimaldi isn't getting signed at this point until I hear otherwise.

So right now I guess we have

Henrique-Zegras-Vatrano
McTavish-Strome-Terry
Comtois-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Jones-Grant-Regenda
Gawdin

Fowler-Klingberg
Kulikov-Dysdale
Benoit-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu
White

Gibson
Stolarz

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Grimaldi is better than Gawdin and unless Silf was just easing back into things probably Silf. Can't think of any reason outside of maybe Grimaldi getting an offer from another team not to sign him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Grimaldi is better than Gawdin and unless Silf was just easing back into things probably Silf. Can't think of any reason outside of maybe Grimaldi getting an offer from another team not to sign him.
Gawdin can play C whereas Grimaldi is purely a winger probably has something to do with it, especially if we're only carrying one extra forward. Maybe in a few days Grimaldi signs a 2-way

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Grimaldi isn't better than Gawdin...especially not at NHL level. Gawdin is younger as well. I always liked Gawdin. Should carve out a nice little career as a depth NHLer. Possible Carrick replacement id his hips continue to cause problems. Gawdin is a righty who can play Center or Wing up and down the lineup. Decent skillset and plays with an edge as well. Grimaldi is a good guy to have in the organization and he's skilled as well but unfortunately he's too small and soft to be really effective in the NHL.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Grimaldi isn't better than Gawdin...especially not at NHL level. Gawdin is younger as well. I always liked Gawdin. Should carve out a nice little career as a depth NHLer. Possible Carrick replacement id his hips continue to cause problems. Gawdin is a righty who can play Center or Wing up and down the lineup. Decent skillset and plays with an edge as well. Grimaldi is a good guy to have in the organization and he's skilled as well but unfortunately he's too small and soft to be really effective in the NHL.
Is there some other Gawdin I'm not aware of?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Is there some other Gawdin I'm not aware of?
How many games of him did you watch?
He once was a pretty highly regarded prospect in the Flames organization, just never really got a chance at NHL level. You don't win WHL playoff MVP and become WHL allstar if you don't have some skill. As a pro he proved he can play with an edge as well. Of course WHL credentials are never a guarantee for anything at NHL level but Carrick was a late bloomer as well and there's definitely upside with Gawdin who's still only 25 years old. With Grimaldi on the other side, at this point you know what you're gonna get. Which isn't close from an NHL regular. Once was pretty highly regarded in Florida as well but just seemed to fail to really be effective and was mostly a disappointment. He was better in Nashville and at times even was effective but ultimately fell out of favor there as well. So if it's between Grimaldi and Gawdin, at this point I'm gonna go Gawdin every day of the week. Younger, bigger, tougher and more versatile.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
How many games of him did you watch?
He once was a pretty highly regarded prospect in the Flames organization, just never really got a chance at NHL level. You don't win WHL playoff MVP and become WHL allstar if you don't have some skill. As a pro he proved he can play with an edge as well. Of course WHL credentials are never a guarantee for anything at NHL level but Carrick was a late bloomer as well and there's definitely upside with Gawdin who's still only 25 years old. With Grimaldi on the other side, at this point you know what you're gonna get. Which isn't close from an NHL regular. Once was pretty highly regarded in Florida as well but just seemed to fail to really be effective and was mostly a disappointment. He was better in Nashville and at times even was effective but ultimately fell out of favor there as well. So if it's between Grimaldi and Gawdin, at this point I'm gonna go Gawdin every day of the week. Younger, bigger, tougher and more versatile.
Sure, you're obviously wrong about Gawdin being a better NHLer right now, so I'm glad you admitted it, even you're pretending that's not what you said. If you want to argue Gawdin is likely to be better going forward, fine, but that's far from obvious. Gawdin is a bigger guy and can play more than one position but he is well behind where Grimaldi was at the same age and hasn't translated his size/versatility advantage to more production at any level, year-on-year.

We'll see what happens I guess. I remember when we signed Gawdin it was described as a bit of a coup.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sure, you're obviously wrong about Gawdin being a better NHLer right now, so I'm glad you admitted it, even you're pretending that's not what you said. If you want to argue Gawdin is likely to be better going forward, fine, but that's far from obvious. Gawdin is a bigger guy and can play more than one position but he is well behind where Grimaldi was at the same age and hasn't translated his size/versatility advantage to more production at any level, year-on-year.

We'll see what happens I guess. I remember when we signed Gawdin it was described as a bit of a coup.

I have no clue what you're even talking about. Doesn't make sense at all. Probably never watched Gawdin play?
You do realize that Grimaldi is a career AHLer and fringe NHLer at best and completely useless in a grinding role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad