Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A lot of people sleep on Lundestrom. Would love for him to have a chance on the top-6. I hate that people want to keep him as an ‘elite-checking center’ when he can blossom potentially somewhere else.

I think it's Eakins that keeps pushing Lundy's offensive talent down. Remember when his line became the default 1st line during COVID season, Comtois-Lundy-Rakell? That was a scoring line. Lundy was the fast grinder doing all the grunt work for the puck, Rakell because the playmaker, and Comtois just had to find a way to get open to receive passes from Rakell to score.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think it's Eakins that keeps pushing Lundy's offensive talent down. Remember when his line became the default 1st line during COVID season, Comtois-Lundy-Rakell? That was a scoring line. Lundy was the fast grinder doing all the grunt work for the puck, Rakell because the playmaker, and Comtois just had to find a way to get open to receive passes from Rakell to score.
Because Eakins thinks defense first. He has typecast Lundestrom as his defensive matchup center and that's the role he wants for him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
View attachment 589650
It's pathetic but I agree Verbeek doesn't care about the team getting abused he will not only do nothing about it he will add players like Grimaldi instead of Drew to force his message

Have to give Rico kudos for answering the bell but that shouldn't be his role. Especially with Carrick out, we need more grit in this lineup for sure.

It's not just about fighting, but also just generally being more difficult to play against. Surprised that Verbeek doesn't seem to value this more (to this point) given that he was basically the poster boy when he played.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If Zegras isn't ready to start the season

Henrique-Strome-Terry
Comtois-McTavish-Vatrano
Grimaldi-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Grant-Groulx-Regenda/Jones
I'd just move Lundy up into the spot Zegras would otherwise occupy.

Henrique - Lundestrom - Vatrano
McTavish - Strome - Terry

Can flip them around and call either line 1A/B but seems like decent balance in the absence of Z. When he returns, maybe McTavish bumps down to the third line and Strome to the wing (Rico - Z - Vatrano, Strome - Lundy - Terry)

From there you have to rely on Grant to step up and take some pretty heavy defensive lifting alongside Silf, and likely one of Comtois/Jones or perhaps Grimaldi if signed.

Comtois/Jones/Grimaldi - Grant - Silf

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Because Eakins thinks defense first. He has typecast Lundestrom as his defensive matchup center and that's the role he wants for him.

To be fair, Lundy is our best defensive center. Also, Lundy was transitioned to wing so that the org can utilized that speed in hopes offense comes because Lundy couldn't create offense in previous seasons. Thank goodness that didn't work out b/c Lundy as a 3C truly gives the Ducks quality talent depth at center.

I think during COVID season, Lundy lucked into that offensive role due to mass injuries. Lundy earned his role as center again after several injuries hit down the middle during said COVID season. And when players started getting healthy again, Lundy dropped back down to 2C and 3C. When Zegras joined the Ducks again as a centerman on his 24 NHL-game season, that kinda solidified Lundy as 3C.

I still didn't like Eakins separating team CLR, but I can understand it now, over a year and half later. LoL

Last year, Lundy's offense took off in a defensive role. That actually gives us relief that Lundy can pinch in as a 2C. With news of Zegras and McTavish injuries, either Rico slides to 2C or Lundy elevates to 2C.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Yes, because I’m pretty certain that Beagle didn’t do the math in his head before beating the crap out of Terry.
You're right. He was probably thinking "Shit, is Deslauriers still on this team? No? Cool, then I have the green light." It was pretty clearly a heat of the moment incident that was fueled by his team getting embarrassed. And having Des on the bench wasn't going to prevent him from doing what he did. I'm sure I can't convince you this is the case, and you can't convince me your side, so we should just stop now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You're right. He was probably thinking "Shit, is Deslauriers still on this team? No? Cool, then I have the green light." It was pretty clearly a heat of the moment incident that was fueled by his team getting embarrassed. And having Des on the bench wasn't going to prevent him from doing what he did. I'm sure I can't convince you this is the case, and you can't convince me your side, so we should just stop now.
I’m fine with agreeing to disagree, but I will say that if you were talking about Kassian or players of his ilk I’d agree with you. Beagle…has 3 career NHL fights(another in preseason), with the last one in 2013. He’s spent a career knowing he’d be squished like a big if he acted like that.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930-175737.png
    Screenshot_20220930-175737.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 3

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Mod edit

I knew immediately he would and after the deadline it was clear this is gonna be a sad unwatchable season. I don't cheer for my teams players to get hurt so I hope they keep getting run and embarrassed but not injured so this changes
I agree. You can’t build the skill and talent if they become too scared that they will get pummeled. There needs to come to a point when management is smart enough to make the change. It’s obvious that they need a wake up moment and Terry’s beating wasn’t obvious with how thick Verbeeks glasses are.

Besides, teams need skilled players that are also tough as we don’t have that…. Both the skill and the toughness. Good teams can only have a few soft high skilled players. Look at the Avs or Lightning…many of their top guys play with a lot of edge and you need that to win.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
We're in a rebuild. Having an enforcer on the team right now isn't a priority for Verbeek.
It should be. Rebuilding with a bunch of kids like Zegras, Drysdale and Terry is as good of time as any to have a bodyguard on the roster.
With that said, the Zegras hit was clean. Zegras needs to keep his head on a swivel of potential attackers while looking for passing options.
I don’t care if the hit was technically clean, you shouldn’t be happy that your star player is being targeted.

I watched the team get bullied with deslauries in the lineup.
No they weren’t. Done with your bs. Got to put you on ignore for my sanity.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Why are you flip flopping so much regarding having a tougher team?
I'm not, I just don't have an extreme opinion either way. The team needs to be tougher, agreed. An enforcer would solve this team's toughness problems, disagree.

The answer to this problem would require more thorough personnel, and frankly a philosophical change, at this point.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I'm not, I just don't have an extreme opinion either way. The team needs to be tougher, agreed. An enforcer would solve this team's toughness problems, disagree.

Here a clear example of enforcing and what this team's missing. You don't think adding this element would help lesson these incidents? Again I'm saying lesson not to eliminate

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad